Nervous About Going Inhouse Given Economy.... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Nervous About Going Inhouse Given Economy....

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:55 pm

Hi all,

I just received an inhouse offer I am very excited about - I am dying to get out of this firm. However, I am a little nervous about accepting given current economic uncertainty and all of the layoffs going around. I think there is virtually no chance I get laid off from my current firm. And the inhouse position is backfilling a position and it is a non-startup with strong financials; however, company is certainly not immune from economic headwinds.

What are your general thoughts about going inhouse during these uncertain times?

Any due diligence you might do to make yourself feel more comfortable?

Anonymous User

Re: Nervous About Going Inhouse Given Economy....

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:59 am

I just went in-house (same as you: backfilling a role, non-startup, good financials) and had some similar concerns initially. I just told myself there is never going to be a perfect time to make the jump and got comfortable. It was also a really good opportunity that I felt would be unreasonable to pass up.

It helped that my manager told me that there is a lot of work to do and they are obviously hiring me to fill a need, economic conditions notwithstanding, which I would assume is the same for you. Also helps that none of the other lawyers on my team seem worried in the slightest.

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:18 am

Things to consider or ask them:
1. How lean is the legal department?
2. Have there been prior layoffs/cuts at this company? If so, was the legal department affected?
3. Do some research on the economic climate for the industry that the company is in.
4. If the company is SEC regulated, check their 10-Qs for their latest public financial information.
5. What is their plan for getting through the downturn?

Don't be afraid to ask tough questions. You've got the offer in hand, time to vet them properly as well. Overall though, if you don't find red flags I don't think general nervousness about the economy should stop you from taking a job that you want. Perhaps try to keep good relationships with your current firm in case you need a quick exit back into a law firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:45 am

Thanks all - these are extremely helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:31 pm

Bump for any other thoughts

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”