MBB vs Biglaw (Junior - Midlevel transition) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

MBB vs Biglaw (Junior - Midlevel transition)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:55 pm

Never quite enjoyed law (tried both transactional and litigation) and looked to transition to a non-legal business role for awhile. Fortunate enough to get an associate level offer at an MBB that does a lot of megacap PE work which is highly related to my current practice. Problem is the offer entails ~3 years in cuts to my seniority. Not sure anyone has made similar transitions and can opine whether or not they regret such steep drop in class years.

Also potentially worried about being last in first out in this market. But that's a separate discussion altogether.

Anonymous User

Re: MBB vs Biglaw (Junior - Midlevel transition)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:51 am

I can’t speak to making the transition and downleveling because I went from law school to MBB instead of going back to my summer firm, but I can speak to why I did it. I am interested in a strategy role in a specific industry and one day running a P&L, and this job has given me the opportunity to make that switch. Is there a specific role post-MBB that you have in mind?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:51 am
I can’t speak to making the transition and downleveling because I went from law school to MBB instead of going back to my summer firm, but I can speak to why I did it. I am interested in a strategy role in a specific industry and one day running a P&L, and this job has given me the opportunity to make that switch. Is there a specific role post-MBB that you have in mind?
what does running a P&L mean?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
P&L means income statement. That person just meant figuring out strategies to increase the (+) items and decrease the (-) items on the income statement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I’m the poster that made the original comment. A more operational role in running the business and being responsible for its profit and loss (P&L)—so being in charge of a business unit for instance.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:55 pm
Never quite enjoyed law (tried both transactional and litigation) and looked to transition to a non-legal business role for awhile. Fortunate enough to get an associate level offer at an MBB that does a lot of megacap PE work which is highly related to my current practice. Problem is the offer entails ~3 years in cuts to my seniority. Not sure anyone has made similar transitions and can opine whether or not they regret such steep drop in class years.

Also potentially worried about being last in first out in this market. But that's a separate discussion altogether.
Different anon here. Congrats on getting the offer! Made the transition to MBB from BigLaw some time ago with no credit for my time at BigLaw so guess I can relate. I am personally happy with the move, though there is a bit of self-selection going on since you move to MBB to do a fundamentally different type of work imo.

The pay cut is pretty big (even after the recent raise in MBB base salaries), and even after factoring in the bonus at MBB total comp isn't really going to match what you make in BigLaw (especially after your 3rd year). Still, if you don't enjoy law, don't see why you should stay there and make it harder for yourself.

I also wouldn't think too much about an MBB doing something that is "highly related to (your) current practice" as the whole point of going to an MBB oftentimes is to not be pigeonholed and try out a few different things (and see what you like/don't like). Kind of beats the purpose if you are moving to do work in the same industry (albeit a different kind of work) unless you really like it I guess.

TLDR: move if you want to do non-legal work, but do understand that it's a significant pay cut and that you'll be starting at the bottom of the totem pole. Plus side is that if you like non-legal work, it can be pretty fun and WLB is usually better at an MBB (though not always).

Happy to answer any questions if it helps!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:55 pm

Different job so makes sense that you have to take a hit to seniority - forest through the trees, you are unlocking a much different set of things to do and something you might like more. Especially if you were K-JD, its basically like working for four years and doing an MBA -> coming out.

I took a two year drop when I moved out of a law firm to a fund and 100p worth it due to liking the work more / better QoL / better exit opps even if I wasn't comped the same initially.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”