Applying to biglaw below class year/experience level Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Applying to biglaw below class year/experience level

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:00 pm

Do bigger firms sometimes higher people to a lower class year? I was middle of my class at a T14, and have a low prestige federal clerkship plus a few years in smalllaw. I struck out at OCI and big firms did not solicit my chambers for applicants, so I missed the biglaw bus. I want to move to biglaw now that I have some experience.

I've been talking to recruiters and have been told that my biggest obstacle is that I missed a lot of the training and experience that big firms expect you to pick up as a junior. So my question is this, how wedded are firms to the class year dynamic? Is it possible to be hired on as a second or third year with four to six years experience? I'm in DC if that changes the dynamic.

Anonymous User

Re: Applying to biglaw below class year/experience level

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:22 pm

Yeah, taking a haircut is not unusual when making a lateral move into biglaw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:24 pm

Why would not getting a mailer/solicitations to chambers mean anything for your chances at getting hired? I can count on one hand how many letters from firms our chambers got. The clerks who gunned for BigLaw still got it—quite easily, I might add.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:49 am

Yeah you're probably gonna take a haircut. Not necessarily end of the world. Are you only applying to DC firms—that could explain the difficulty as DC firms as I am sure you know just have more competitive recruiting especially for clerkships.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”