How do you deal with burnout? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How do you deal with burnout?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:38 am

2nd year in a regulatory practice that has been doing more actual regulatory work (rather than deal support) for the past couple of months. My hours aren't insane or anything (on track for 160-170 this month), but I'm completely burned out. Part of me thinks that it's probably because I've been stuck grinding out each and every hour with substantive work and been stuck working with an inconsiderate partner for a good chunk of my hours. Unfortunately, this partner is a big deal who apparently likes me despite being an ass and has said good things about me to people who matter at the firm. What do I do to get over this rut? Take a vacation? I guess I'm just worried about actually overcoming this since my hours aren't crazy or anything.

Anonymous User

Re: How do you deal with burnout?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:14 am

What's your daily routine like? Do you take time for yourself? Do you workout? Do you have other things you look forward to each week?

Avoiding burnout is a comprehensive effort that involves more than just your "working" life. I had your same feelings for the first 3 years of biglaw, constantly second guessing myself and feeling at wits end despite billing high and getting great reviews.

What I do differently now is literally schedule, into my calendar, personal time for myself. I schedule working out each morning, I schedule 30m-45m of personal reading every day, I schedule lunch breaks, I plan and schedule cooking dinners with my girlfriend. I schedule things that make me happy. It can sound lame as hell, but if you don't make the time for yourself no one else will. Can I do all of that every single day? No, but I try to keep it absent real conflicts or fire drills.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:38 am
2nd year in a regulatory practice that has been doing more actual regulatory work (rather than deal support) for the past couple of months. My hours aren't insane or anything (on track for 160-170 this month), but I'm completely burned out. Part of me thinks that it's probably because I've been stuck grinding out each and every hour with substantive work and been stuck working with an inconsiderate partner for a good chunk of my hours. Unfortunately, this partner is a big deal who apparently likes me despite being an ass and has said good things about me to people who matter at the firm. What do I do to get over this rut? Take a vacation? I guess I'm just worried about actually overcoming this since my hours aren't crazy or anything.
Older lawyer here. You have been conditioned by the culture of the American legal profession to believe that 160-170 billables per month is not a big deal. Lots of lawyers work way more hours than that. But, they are insane and on track to nervous breakdowns, heart attacks and/or divorces if they don't stop. 160-170 is still quite a lot and not really sustainable if your job is shitty and you don't love it.

You said everything that matters with this one sentence: "I've been stuck grinding out each and every hour with substantive work and been stuck working with an inconsiderate partner." This sounds a lot to me like the shitty jobs I've had in the past. It is not sustainable in the long run to continue working and living like this. Your work quality will suffer, whereas you are probably a much better lawyer in other areas that actually make you happy. And your personal life definitely suffers, because you're working for an asshole.

I would start crafting my exit plan if I were you. You need to change things up. As for what to do in the meantime: Survive. But your working on an exit plan will give you some emotional satisfaction and make it easier to get through each day.

Wanderingdrock

Bronze

Post by Wanderingdrock » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:38 am
I second what another poster said above about making sure you take time for yourself. You don't necessarily need to schedule it, but if that's what it takes to make sure you DO it, then go ahead. Exercise is especially good for combatting feelings of burnout.

Another thing I've found that helps: have something to look forward to. When is your next vacation? Don't have one planned yet? Plan one. Having a definite trip, especially one where you get to tell your partners "I'll be offline" or "it'll be my first time seeing [beloved family member] in [x] years," is a wonderful thing to look forward to and can help prevent feelings of depression.

jimmythecatdied6

Bronze

Post by jimmythecatdied6 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:15 pm

How do i deal with it? Poor work quality and less availability

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:32 am

Just work more and work harder. It’ll get better.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”