Wachtell post-clerk/lateral Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Wachtell post-clerk/lateral

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:19 pm

Does anyone have any sense for how Wachtell assesses post-law school hiring?

They seem to value Chancery, SDNY, and CA2 clerkships quite a bit. It seems like they do take laterals but any insight into whether they are still pretty selective in terms of law school, grades, or the firm someone was previously at? Or are they looking more at whether someone has substantial experience?

Struggled hard with the substantive questions about sec reg/chancery court precedent in my OCI interview (hadn't taken sec reg/corps/m&a yet) but feel much more confident around these topics now and wondering if that door is forever closed.

Anonymous User

Re: Wachtell post-clerk/lateral

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:19 pm

They seem to value Chancery, SDNY, and CA2 clerkships quite a bit. It seems like they do take laterals but any insight into whether they are still pretty selective in terms of law school, grades, or the firm someone was previously at? Or are they looking more at whether someone has substantial experience?

Struggled hard with the substantive questions about sec reg/chancery court precedent in my OCI interview (hadn't taken sec reg/corps/m&a yet) but feel much more confident around these topics now and wondering if that door is forever closed.
If you have to ask this question here, you aren't probably suited for Wachtell.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:40 am
Anonymous User wrote:

This is such a weird, annoying gate-keepery mentality

What current law student has any perspective into any firm's lateral hiring preferences beyond what is publicly available via firm website, linkedin, or firm prospects. Sheesh

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:59 am

They are still quite selective. I turned down an offer from them for 2L SA, and while it may have been light recruiting spin, several (lit) partners I spoke with mentioned that it would generally be much harder to re-recruit post-clerkship, as there are just fewer spots available. Litigation is a small practice group (<100 lawyers), so it makes some intuitive sense.

I'm speculating now, but I would assume you would need to be similar on paper to someone they would hire for the summer program, plus relevant interests/work experience/etc. I have no idea if they would flex on school or how your prior firm would factor into the decision. But you'd be competing against CA2/SDNY clerks, as you mention, who likely have solid grades and (importantly) have demonstrated they can work very hard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:54 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What current law student has any perspective into any firm's lateral hiring preferences beyond what is publicly available via firm website, linkedin, or firm prospects. Sheesh
Sorry but Wachtell only has 260+ attorneys and it doesn't take a whole lot to look through their profiles (their website or LinkedIn) to see their credentials and figure out what they have in common. If you have those credentials and want to ask how they interview, that's a different question.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:24 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry but Wachtell only has 260+ attorneys and it doesn't take a whole lot to look through their profiles (their website or LinkedIn) to see their credentials and figure out what they have in common. If you have those credentials and want to ask how they interview, that's a different question.
Which I've done! That's where the takeaway of their interest in hiring from Chancery came from. While I was doing this, I also noticed there was a decent spread in public-facing credentials across associates that didn't seem easily explainable.

My question was more geared towards figuring out what non-credential factors are prioritized since it clearly exceeds paper credentials, and how that factors into the lateral process, when applicants actually have experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which I've done! That's where the takeaway of their interest in hiring from Chancery came from. While I was doing this, I also noticed there was a decent spread in public-facing credentials across associates that didn't seem easily explainable.

My question was more geared towards figuring out what non-credential factors are prioritized since it clearly exceeds paper credentials, and how that factors into the lateral process, when applicants actually have experience.
I honestly think you might as well apply and see what happens. If they reject you, no loss. Worrying about what they may or may not care about isn't particularly productive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I honestly think you might as well apply and see what happens. If they reject you, no loss. Worrying about what they may or may not care about isn't particularly productive.
That's honestly fair! This is definitely tempered by my OCI experience, where it seemed like I had the paper credentials but got bodied by the substantive questions due to lack of relevant knowledge, and I wanted to minimize the risk of that happening in the lateral context

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”