Best job to take during a gap year from Law School Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Maxcol95

New

Best job to take during a gap year from Law School

Post by Maxcol95 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:17 pm

Hi guys,
I am a current law student, finished my 1L in May and for personal reasons I had to take a year off of Law school to tend to some family matters, everything got better much faster than expected which was great news but now I have a lot of time on my hands until September 2023, I was wondering what you guys think would be the best legal job I could try to apply for to get some experience or that would benefit my legal career the most in the future. I live in a small town so maybe remote work would be an option for the time being but any suggestions are welcome.

P.S. I have a 2L summer associate position lined up at a V10's smaller office that's mainly a PE & M&A hub.

mwells_56

New

Re: Best job to take during a gap year from Law School

Post by mwells_56 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:45 pm

Maxcol95 wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:17 pm
Hi guys,
I am a current law student, finished my 1L in May and for personal reasons I had to take a year off of Law school to tend to some family matters, everything got better much faster than expected which was great news but now I have a lot of time on my hands until September 2023, I was wondering what you guys think would be the best legal job I could try to apply for to get some experience or that would benefit my legal career the most in the future. I live in a small town so maybe remote work would be an option for the time being but any suggestions are welcome.

P.S. I have a 2L summer associate position lined up at a V10's smaller office that's mainly a PE & M&A hub.
If you already have an SA locked in with a V10 you do not need another legal job to further your career, you're already set there. If you need money in the meantime while you're not in school, I guess paralegal work would be good experience but you don't want to run into any conflicts issues with your V10. If money isn't why you need to work, I'd just chill if I were you. If you need cash, I'd just do whatever menial job I could find.

Anonymous User

Re: Best job to take during a gap year from Law School

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:17 pm

People I know in this situation have worked as paralegals or in other law-adjacent jobs. If you would be interested in returning to your home state one day it may be a good opportunity to make connections. If money is no object and you are interested in lit you might also try arranging an internship with a judge or public interest org. Is it not possible for you to return for the spring?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”