Huge Difference in Health Insurance Premiums Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Wanderingdrock

Bronze

Re: Huge Difference in Health Insurance Premiums

Post by Wanderingdrock » Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:56 pm

bree wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:27 pm
I paid around $825/month for a HDHP for a family, with firm chipping in around $150/month into an HSA. Plan costs are going up a lot this year (~11-12%) and the firm contribution to the HSA is going down. Oddly enough, the low-deductible plan cost when up less (~5%) this year, though it's still $300-400 more per month than the HDHP.

I'm basically paying $10K per year in premiums to get physical checkups for my family and to guard against a medical catastrophe because a HDHP is absolutely worthless until you hit the deductible. I have a hard time complaining though because one year my family did have a medical catastrophe and I'm guessing we would have paid $200k-$300k if it weren't for insurance.
The big advantage to HDHPs is the HSA. Whether you spend a little or a lot on healthcare, those pre-tax dollars are big, and then the account turns into a retirement savings vehicle when you get old enough.

randomthrowaway

New

Post by randomthrowaway » Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:55 pm

$1325/month for a family here for HDHP. $3,400 deductible and firm contributes $1000 to my HSA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:02 pm

Paying around 1150 per month for a family in TX. Deductibles are low and out of pocket limits are around 5k annually for the family. I feel like it's expensive but what the hell else am I gonna do?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:47 pm

I pay about $565 / month for a family (wife + kid) HDHP including dental and vision. Deductible is high at about 12k for the whole family, but 0% copay/coinsurance thereafter. Firm contributes $1200 / year to HSA. This is the cheapest plan available at my firm. Overall works well for us as a young family in good health with limited expected medical costs. Tax savings from fully funded HSA currently outweigh benefits of going for a Cadillac plan in our situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:51 pm

I paid 750 a month for insurance for me and my wife at a V5 firm. Went in house and now pay 45 per month for a better plan. Things like this are meaningful and make the comp hit when you go in house more palatable for sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:32 am

F100 in-house here, I pay less than $30/mon ($10+ per paycheck) for a $2k deductible $4k out of pocket maximum plan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”