With Same pay, Conventional ID vs Med Mal D? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
argarg932

New

With Same pay, Conventional ID vs Med Mal D?

Post by argarg932 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:42 pm

Mid-sized, major market, 2nd year associate. They pay the same.

I know both are "shitlaws" according to TLS forum, but not all of us are HYS Coif :roll:

On the one hand, I feel like the former one would be more transferrable in the future. On the other hand, I've heard that the former is "shittier law" than medmal defense.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Re: With Same pay, Conventional ID vs Med Mal D?

Post by Lacepiece23 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:24 pm

argarg932 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:42 pm
Mid-sized, major market, 2nd year associate. They pay the same.

I know both are "shitlaws" according to TLS forum, but not all of us are HYS Coif :roll:

On the one hand, I feel like the former one would be more transferrable in the future. On the other hand, I've heard that the former is "shittier law" than medmal defense.
Everything you’re saying is correct. All ID is not created the same. If you can get into like employment or maybe even some commercial stuff, you should be able to trade up.

Med mal defense is much harder to trade up but seen as a bit more prestigious or less shitty.

nealric

Re: With Same pay, Conventional ID vs Med Mal D?

Post by nealric » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:39 pm

It's going to depend on what the "conventional' ID firm does. It is all PI, or is there some commercial stuff too? Also helps if they get some insurance coverage work. Basically, anything that can expose you to more complex and sophisticated litigation.

Jurisdiction may matter. Here, medmal damages are capped, which I can imagine drives down billing rates on the ID side and makes a switch to plaintiff's side less potentially lucrative.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”