Kellogg Change in Hiring Practices? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Kellogg Change in Hiring Practices?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:57 pm

Has Kellogg moved away from their practice of only hiring COA clerks? They hired a few people straight out of school and several of them do not have COA lined up (of those, a few don't have any clerkships lined up at all).

Hadn't heard of them hiring straight out of school before and certainly hadn't heard of them hiring people without any clerkships lined up. Anyone have any idea if/why they are moving their hiring practices around?

Seems kinda surprising to liberalize your hiring process when the rest of the market is contracting

Sackboy

Silver

Re: Kellogg Change in Hiring Practices?

Post by Sackboy » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:57 pm
Has Kellogg moved away from their practice of only hiring COA clerks? They hired a few people straight out of school and several of them do not have COA lined up (of those, a few don't have any clerkships lined up at all).

Hadn't heard of them hiring straight out of school before and certainly hadn't heard of them hiring people without any clerkships lined up. Anyone have any idea if/why they are moving their hiring practices around?

Seems kinda surprising to liberalize your hiring process when the rest of the market is contracting
Some firms, like Kellogg, have realized that they're splitting hairs when quibbling over credentials and cutting their pool of excellent candidates by 50%. Hiring only COA 26 year olds is only useful if those people are materially better than DCt 26 year olds or magna cum laude 25 year olds without clerkships. Feel free to +-3-4 years on the age. Numbers were only used as an example.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:12 pm

Sackboy wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:57 pm

Some firms, like Kellogg, have realized that they're splitting hairs when quibbling over credentials and cutting their pool of excellent candidates by 50%. Hiring only COA 26 year olds is only useful if those people are materially better than DCt 26 year olds or magna cum laude 25 year olds without clerkships. Feel free to +-3-4 years on the age. Numbers were only used as an example.
Seems like the people were cum laude but not magna. I had just thought they were pretty credential sensitive, kinda kicking myself for not applying haha

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:31 pm

I think only 2 people at Kellogg meet this description, and they bring unique features to the table. I wouldn't view that as a change in hiring practices. Kellogg recently got back a SCOTUS clerks and a lot of COA/T6 summa types.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:12 pm

I know one of the recent hires with unusual resumes and their partner is a KH associate, which I assume has something to do with their hiring.

Also lol at the Kellogg associate listed as “summa cum laude” from Chicago Law, which doesn’t have Latin honors, and in any case the associate in question didn’t even graduate with the magna equivalent. If anyone here is at KH you should get your website people to fix that, it’s glaring to anyone familiar with the Chicago grading system.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:12 pm
I know one of the recent hires with unusual resumes and their partner is a KH associate, which I assume has something to do with their hiring.

Also lol at the Kellogg associate listed as “summa cum laude” from Chicago Law, which doesn’t have Latin honors, and in any case the associate in question didn’t even graduate with the magna equivalent. If anyone here is at KH you should get your website people to fix that, it’s glaring to anyone familiar with the Chicago grading system.
It's clearly just a website error. His bio correctly states that he graduated with honors. Maybe the summa came from undergrad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:31 pm
I think only 2 people at Kellogg meet this description, and they bring unique features to the table. I wouldn't view that as a change in hiring practices. Kellogg recently got back a SCOTUS clerks and a lot of COA/T6 summa types.

what unique features do they bring?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”