Anyone at Cooley worried? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nixy

Gold

Re: Anyone at Cooley worried?

Post by nixy » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:24 pm

Are you (or y’all) just trying to be assholes to the person you wanted information from?

mandrewsf

New

Post by mandrewsf » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:26 pm

Idk if mods could help out the former Cooley anon with the deletions, but from a practical and moral perspective I think it's called for in this case.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:23 pm
I mean anon the huge letters asking you not to quote are RIGHT above your post
Original anon quoter. Edited my quote, but next time check the post/edit time stamps before you call me out. (Idiot --ETA: you).

Second anon quote isn't me so can't do anything about that

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:37 pm

Could someone drop the Fishbowl Link?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:43 pm
They no offered 3 of the 4 Chinese nationals, not 3 out of 4 Asian summers. It's possible it was easiest to just no offer the foreign kids over U.S. students. Also possible that there were more asian summers than just those 4. I would bet there was a decent amount more than just those 4, Palo Alto offices usually have a higher rate of asian summers/attorneys than other locations.
Yeah there were tons of Asian summers who did get offers, and possibly more than 4 Chinese nationals in the denominator. There were individual reasons each of the 3 didn't get offers (which doesn't mean they weren't pretextual), but I trust my source, who is Asian, that some of the things the 3 did, separately, were definitely weird. Probably not weird enough to get no offered in a normal year.

A lot of Cooley offices (no PA) seem to prefer to hire laterals who are already trained and avoid excess first years because they're a cost-suck, and arguably other places can do the training (might be harder to lateral into PE than to lateral into ECVC).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:23 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:24 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:27 pm
Actually that’s not quite right, amending my previous statement, the three years prior to 2020 were late October/early November. 2020 I think was delayed till January.
Wouldn't worry about start dates. Fenwick was as early as August last year if you wanted to start then and is usually in Oct. Last year was special. That said, there are now reports of rescinded offers for incoming first years at Cooley and of junior layoffs. That is probably more concerning.
What's your source for the recinded first year offers and junior layoffs?
Not that anon but I was recently laid off as a junior at Cooley. Any greater details would like ID myself.
By junior do you mean first year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Original anon quoter. Edited my quote, but next time check the post/edit time stamps before you call me out. (Idiot --ETA: you).

I don't get how you're upset about being called out when the request not to quote was in the post that you quoted?

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:54 pm

mandrewsf wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:26 pm
Idk if mods could help out the former Cooley anon with the deletions, but from a practical and moral perspective I think it's called for in this case.
Done

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:21 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:09 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't get how you're upset about being called out when the request not to quote was in the post that you quoted?
Ah weird. Thought the bolded requedt was from an edit. Genuinely surprised I missed it. My b

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:08 pm
Yes they always start first week of November.

VC work definitely isn’t dead, just slower than it has been the last couple of years. I’m still plenty busy and deals are still getting done, just not as many or as quickly. It will pick back up, VC firms still have capital they need to deploy and there are lots of great companies out there. Tiger’s just not flinging around term sheets to every company anymore.
VC is dead. Everyone at at Cooley receives monthly updates across the firm for productivity and the results are appalling and have been all year. Don’t walk, run.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”