Penn Law Honors Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Penn Law Honors

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2023 11:06 am

existentialcrisis wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 8:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 6:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 2:05 pm
existentialcrisis wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 12:35 pm
Why do you folks care so much about numerical GPAs? Isn't not having them combined with grade inflation and obscuring class rank like a very deliberate attempt to help the bottom of the class continue to look desirable to firms? What they've got going seems to be working pretty well.
As a top student who’s worked their ass off I personally couldn’t care less about helping the bottom at my expense.
Agreed. I prefer actually valuing hard work and not making things more arbitrary and ambiguous to help spread out accolades (see law review, graduation awards). So much of how Penn operates, even compared to peer schools, makes success way more likely if you happen to know the right people who can explain how things work.
Lol but when you went to penn you didn’t know you’d be a top student, though. Largely the point/advantage of going to a T14 is that law school exams ae a crap shoot and average to below average students are still fine there.

I’m not saying the way you feel is invalid, but the school’s main priority with the grading system is and always will be to help out the bottom of the class, not to boost the folks at the top who will be fine anyways.

Like will whether or not you get manga vs summa or whatever make any kind of material difference in your career?
For me personally, it made a ton of sense not to tell us our rank during 1L when we're all struggling just to figure out law school. But it starts to become less obviously a good idea when you start having asymmetry of information between students and employers. Firms get to see so many Penn Law transcripts that they are going to have a general sense of top 10%, 20%, 50%, etc. Meanwhile, a Penn Law student has to rely on word of mouth and anonymous forums to try and figure out where they fall. The policy is designed to give firms less information; but in the end, students have less information than the firms. This is compounded if you try to apply for clerkships because you have no sense of where you are in the class. Clerks often complain about the fact they end up calculating a numeric GPA for Penn Law students anyway, and it doesn't give us the benefit of knowing if we even qualify for a judge's chambers. And Chris is useless because it doesn't matter where you are in the class, she's going to push you to apply to mags and state courts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2023 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 11:06 am
existentialcrisis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
Why do you folks care so much about numerical GPAs? Isn't not having them combined with grade inflation and obscuring class rank like a very deliberate attempt to help the bottom of the class continue to look desirable to firms? What they've got going seems to be working pretty well.
As a top student who’s worked their ass off I personally couldn’t care less about helping the bottom at my expense.
Agreed. I prefer actually valuing hard work and not making things more arbitrary and ambiguous to help spread out accolades (see law review, graduation awards). So much of how Penn operates, even compared to peer schools, makes success way more likely if you happen to know the right people who can explain how things work.
Lol but when you went to penn you didn’t know you’d be a top student, though. Largely the point/advantage of going to a T14 is that law school exams ae a crap shoot and average to below average students are still fine there.

I’m not saying the way you feel is invalid, but the school’s main priority with the grading system is and always will be to help out the bottom of the class, not to boost the folks at the top who will be fine anyways.

Like will whether or not you get manga vs summa or whatever make any kind of material difference in your career?
For me personally, it made a ton of sense not to tell us our rank during 1L when we're all struggling just to figure out law school. But it starts to become less obviously a good idea when you start having asymmetry of information between students and employers. Firms get to see so many Penn Law transcripts that they are going to have a general sense of top 10%, 20%, 50%, etc. Meanwhile, a Penn Law student has to rely on word of mouth and anonymous forums to try and figure out where they fall. The policy is designed to give firms less information; but in the end, students have less information than the firms. This is compounded if you try to apply for clerkships because you have no sense of where you are in the class. Clerks often complain about the fact they end up calculating a numeric GPA for Penn Law students anyway, and it doesn't give us the benefit of knowing if we even qualify for a judge's chambers. And Chris is useless because it doesn't matter where you are in the class, she's going to push you to apply to mags and state courts.
+1 on this. I had inflated expectations going into OCI because I misunderstood where I was in the class and OCS wouldn't answer questions about my bid list and where I was competitive other than "you have great grades." It hurt me. NYU has a no-GPA policy for OCI, gives ranges of firms by GPA, and then gives a better sense of class rank when students apply to clerk. Much better system.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2023 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:46 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 11:13 pm
I am glad I found this forum. I often feel like I am the odd one out in regretting coming to Penn over peer schools, and none of my friends take a critical eye to how this school operates (beyond Amy Wax, perhaps).
I don't regret it for a moment. We're way better off—in my opinion—than most of our peer schools on a day-to-day basis when it comes to most things. Poke around this forum a bit more and you'll see what I mean.

I'm very critical of the school's approach to blackbox everything, and OCS sucks. No institution is perfect. But I'm damn glad I came to school here over, say, NYU or something.
I agree that Penn is better run on a day-to-day basis but ultimately I care about career and academic issues more than a "collegial environment."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2023 12:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 11:33 am
Anonymous User wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:

+1 on this. I had inflated expectations going into OCI because I misunderstood where I was in the class and OCS wouldn't answer questions about my bid list and where I was competitive other than "you have great grades." It hurt me. NYU has a no-GPA policy for OCI, gives ranges of firms by GPA, and then gives a better sense of class rank when students apply to clerk. Much better system.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2023 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 11:46 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I am glad I found this forum. I often feel like I am the odd one out in regretting coming to Penn over peer schools, and none of my friends take a critical eye to how this school operates (beyond Amy Wax, perhaps).
I don't regret it for a moment. We're way better off—in my opinion—than most of our peer schools on a day-to-day basis when it comes to most things. Poke around this forum a bit more and you'll see what I mean.

I'm very critical of the school's approach to blackbox everything, and OCS sucks. No institution is perfect. But I'm damn glad I came to school here over, say, NYU or something.
I agree that Penn is better run on a day-to-day basis but ultimately I care about career and academic issues more than a "collegial environment."
I tend to think that the frustrations experienced at Penn are likely similar to varying degrees to those experienced at other similar “elite” institutions (notwithstanding variations in policy that make NYU, CLS, etc better/worse in certain regards). Bottom line, these institutions are wholly unimpressive once you peel back the very flimsy veneer of prestige. They’re filled with sad and incompetent administrators who, generally speaking, add zero value. They exist solely to collect a bloated paycheck in exchange for the bare minimum of work, and extracting value out of any of them feels like pulling teeth. Try calling the registrar and asking the most basic of questions. They answer the phone as though their dog just died and their tone throughout the conversation gets progressively worse, seemingly unaware that they effectively work for the students whose tuition checks support their cushy little “jobs”.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2023 6:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:

From NYU, I wouldn't say were great here. The OCI data is fine although but it is very brunt. For instance they "max" out at 3.6, so it is hard to get real data on if you are competitive for Wachtell or William & Connolly or "just" Cravath, DPW, S&C etc... Their clerkship gpa is also soooooo old/stale and needs updating in light of mild grade inflation. For instance, they have 3.7+ as competitive for all non-feeder in 2/9/DC, which may have been true when 3.7+ was top 10%, but now 3.7+ is just top 20%. A lot of people ended up being in for a shock when the clerkship office told them they were in the top 10% of their class and then come award time they realized they were not. Thankfully, upper classmen are aware of this and are able to qualify the information JCO gives to students, but I remember when I was there (very recently), their overly optimistic outlook on clerkships leads to a bloodbath of students between 3.7 and 3.8 who are told they are highly competitive and only need to apply for a few judges. I actually don't know why they keep saying that, because it would seem antithetical to their interests, but I don't think things have changed.

Anyways, this is all to say that career services kind of suck at a lot of these schools. Hell in college too, I remember I walked into career services at a T10 school saying I was interested in law and the advisor turned around her computer and was like ok let's look what is best for you and then googled "law internships for undergrads" and had me watch as she scrolled through results as if I was incapable of doing that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2023 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I tend to think that the frustrations experienced at Penn are likely similar to varying degrees to those experienced at other similar “elite” institutions (notwithstanding variations in policy that make NYU, CLS, etc better/worse in certain regards). Bottom line, these institutions are wholly unimpressive once you peel back the very flimsy veneer of prestige. They’re filled with sad and incompetent administrators who, generally speaking, add zero value. They exist solely to collect a bloated paycheck in exchange for the bare minimum of work, and extracting value out of any of them feels like pulling teeth. Try calling the registrar and asking the most basic of questions. They answer the phone as though their dog just died and their tone throughout the conversation gets progressively worse, seemingly unaware that they effectively work for the students whose tuition checks support their cushy little “jobs”.
This perfectly describes Felicia Lin

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2023 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 6:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:

From NYU, I wouldn't say were great here. The OCI data is fine although but it is very brunt. For instance they "max" out at 3.6, so it is hard to get real data on if you are competitive for Wachtell or William & Connolly or "just" Cravath, DPW, S&C etc... Their clerkship gpa is also soooooo old/stale and needs updating in light of mild grade inflation. For instance, they have 3.7+ as competitive for all non-feeder in 2/9/DC, which may have been true when 3.7+ was top 10%, but now 3.7+ is just top 20%. A lot of people ended up being in for a shock when the clerkship office told them they were in the top 10% of their class and then come award time they realized they were not. Thankfully, upper classmen are aware of this and are able to qualify the information JCO gives to students, but I remember when I was there (very recently), their overly optimistic outlook on clerkships leads to a bloodbath of students between 3.7 and 3.8 who are told they are highly competitive and only need to apply for a few judges. I actually don't know why they keep saying that, because it would seem antithetical to their interests, but I don't think things have changed.

Anyways, this is all to say that career services kind of suck at a lot of these schools. Hell in college too, I remember I walked into career services at a T10 school saying I was interested in law and the advisor turned around her computer and was like ok let's look what is best for you and then googled "law internships for undergrads" and had me watch as she scrolled through results as if I was incapable of doing that.
I understand this is frustrating too but you have demonstrated that you have much more information via the school and upperclassmen than we do. Even if it’s outdated. We have nothing like the NYU clerkship materials with GPA data.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2023 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 9:43 am
What is your favorite thing about Penn?
Our student body is among the least obnoxious in the T14.

Also, we have a lot less of this:
Anonymous User wrote:
I have a lot of friends at peer institutions. For every thing I've ever complained about Penn... My impression is that it's a lot worse elsewhere. University administrators as a rule are pretty awful. But my experiences here—and I've had to interface a decent amount with these people for a variety of reasons, sadly—have actually been fairly positive. At previous institutions I've been at, all these people ever wanted to do was say "no." With some notable exceptions, not really the attitude here - I've found most of them to be reasonably helpful and proactive. A select few are, frankly, wonderful.

Sure, our OCS sucks. But I honestly don't think I've ever heard a law student at any law school praise their OCS. Sure, we have too many administrators and the whole thing is bloated. But that's every single damn university in 2023—armies of staff doing next-to-nothing. Most complaints I have/I've heard about re: Penn can be generalized to most law schools, and from what I gather, on balance we're better off.
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 8:10 am
To each their own! I wish I had gone to NYU.
To each their own indeed. As far as I'm concerned that place is hell on Earth.
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 6:37 pm
That's a bit harsh. I'm not the biggest fan but I've heard some real horror stories about her counterparts elsewhere. The grass is always greener, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2023 8:16 pm

[Deleted; double post]
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue May 09, 2023 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2023 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 8:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 9:43 am
What is your favorite thing about Penn?
Our student body is among the least obnoxious in the T14.

Also, we have a lot less of this:
Anonymous User wrote:
I have a lot of friends at peer institutions. For every thing I've ever complained about Penn... My impression is that it's a lot worse elsewhere. University administrators as a rule are pretty awful. But my experiences here—and I've had to interface a decent amount with these people for a variety of reasons, sadly—have actually been fairly positive. At previous institutions I've been at, all these people ever wanted to do was say "no." With some notable exceptions, not really the attitude here - I've found most of them to be reasonably helpful and proactive. A select few are, frankly, wonderful.

Sure, our OCS sucks. But I honestly don't think I've ever heard a law student at any law school praise their OCS. Sure, we have too many administrators and the whole thing is bloated. But that's every single damn university in 2023—armies of staff doing next-to-nothing.

Most complaints I have/I've heard about re: Penn can be generalized to most law schools, and from what I gather, on balance we're better off.
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 8:10 am
To each their own! I wish I had gone to NYU.
To each their own indeed. As far as I'm concerned that place is hell on Earth.
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 6:37 pm
That's a bit harsh. I'm not the biggest fan but I've heard some real horror stories about her counterparts elsewhere. The grass is always greener, etc.
You must not know anyone at UVA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 07, 2023 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 10:15 pm
You must not know anyone at UVA.
I've heard complaints about their OCS on more than one occasion. With that said, if I had a choice of non-HYS+C T14s that weren't Penn, UVA would top the list.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2023 9:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

A minimum of 75% of all college administrators should be fired. They do almost no work across the board. They are huge drivers of tuition expenses and add no value. It’s absolutely infuriating. The DMV level customer service is the cherry on top.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2023 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:08 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 6:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I understand this is frustrating too but you have demonstrated that you have much more information via the school and upperclassmen than we do. Even if it’s outdated. We have nothing like the NYU clerkship materials with GPA data.
Anon NYU student you were replying to. Fair enough, we certainly have more information in that regard. I was just more or less saying that our career services are not exactly a shining city on the hill.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2023 4:52 pm

Penn is great. Cheaper cost of living and punches above its weight in elite NYC firm placement (more or less V5)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2023 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 4:52 pm
Penn is great. Cheaper cost of living and punches above its weight in elite NYC firm placement (more or less V5)
Yes, and as an added treat, the vagrants, addicts, and thugs are offered free of charge!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 08, 2023 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 6:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, and as an added treat, the vagrants, addicts, and thugs are offered free of charge!
Nice, three racist dogwhistles in one sentence. But surely there are some "good ones" right?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2023 1:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 11:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nice, three racist dogwhistles in one sentence. But surely there are some "good ones" right?
Oh dang, you showed him. How dare someone acknowledge that Philly has rampant crime and social disorder. He just can’t handle city living, amirite?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2023 5:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Fascinating and so typical—The one making racism accusations is the same one who read the words “vagrants, addicts, and thugs” and immediately pictured nonwhites in their own head. Don’t project your insecurities about your own prejudices onto others.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2023 6:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This damn city is a warzone (thank Krasner, who everyone in this damn law school voted for) but it's not like NYC is much better.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2023 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 5:31 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Fascinating and so typical—The one making racism accusations is the same one who read the words “vagrants, addicts, and thugs” and immediately pictured nonwhites in their own head. Don’t project your insecurities about your own prejudices onto others.
The idea that "vagrants, addicts, and thugs" wasn't racially-charged is ludicrous. Considering how TLS has had a racism problem for a long time, I stand by what I said

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2023 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:44 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The idea that "vagrants, addicts, and thugs" wasn't racially-charged is ludicrous. Considering how TLS has had a racism problem for a long time, I stand by what I said
Again, if, in your own head, people of color are the cognitive referent for the words vagrants, addicts, and thugs, then you should address your own prejudices instead of haranguing others.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2023 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Have you ever lived in Philly? There is a crime and drug/mental homeless problem. So much so that it’s the focus of the current mayoral election. It’s so bad that Cherelle Parker, a black democrat, just called for a return to stop and frisk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 09, 2023 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 10:56 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Again, if, in your own head, people of color are the cognitive referent for the words vagrants, addicts, and thugs, then you should address your own prejudices instead of haranguing others.
When people refer to "vagrants, addicts, and thugs," odds are good they're referring to people of color. There's no need to play dumb. You're anonymous, you can say what you feel.

LittleRedCorvette

Bronze

Post by LittleRedCorvette » Tue May 09, 2023 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Lol you're the one saying those must be referring to non-whites...which seems RACIIIIISSSTTTTT

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”