Much needed career choice advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Much needed career choice advice

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:24 pm

For a number of reasons, need to limit my hours commuted to my legal career as much as possible.

What’s the job I can do that takes the least amount of hours per week and still makes good money?
Also, to ease my mind as I go into exams, what’s a second option like that that’s also easy to land, if there is one?

nixy

Gold

Re: Much needed career choice advice

Post by nixy » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:30 pm

Don’t you think if there were a job out there that’s low hours, good money, and easy to get, everyone would know about it by now?

forthecause

New

Post by forthecause » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:52 pm

nixy wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:30 pm
Don’t you think if there were a job out there that’s low hours, good money, and easy to get, everyone would know about it by now?
Could just be boring work, or could be good money but not great money, or could be a certain type of employer that’s easy for candidates with certain backgrounds to land but not others.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:05 pm

forthecause wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:52 pm
nixy wrote:
Could just be boring work, or could be good money but not great money, or could be a certain type of employer that’s easy for candidates with certain backgrounds to land but not others.
So what is your suggestion for a job that is good money, requires little work, and is easy to get?

forthecause

New

Post by forthecause » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:56 pm

nixy wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:05 pm
forthecause wrote:
nixy wrote:
So what is your suggestion for a job that is good money, requires little work, and is easy to get?
Why would I post this if I knew that?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:53 pm

forthecause wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:56 pm
nixy wrote:
forthecause wrote:
nixy wrote:
So I'm confused. You're the OP? If so, you asked for jobs that make good money for the least hours, and that are easy to get, as if this is a strange combination of characteristics to seek. The thing is, you're asking for the unicorn of jobs.

temp69420

New

Post by temp69420 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:40 am

nixy wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:53 pm
forthecause wrote:
nixy wrote:
forthecause wrote:
nixy wrote:
So I'm confused. You're the OP? If so, you asked for jobs that make good money for the least hours, and that are easy to get, as if this is a strange combination of characteristics to seek. The thing is, you're asking for the unicorn of jobs.
It's another troll making alts and replying to themselves. Weird hobby.

forthecause

New

Post by forthecause » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:18 pm

temp69420 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:40 am
nixy wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:53 pm
forthecause wrote:
nixy wrote:
forthecause wrote:
nixy wrote:
It's another troll making alts and replying to themselves. Weird hobby.
Where is this accusation coming from? I already had my first account banned because of that. Why would you think I’m making a post and then just talking to myself?

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:25 am

I'll try and give the best answer I can, especially for future folks. I think the tried-and-true method is to just do BL for a couple years, jumping firms every two years or so, and last as long as you can doing the min hour regs. That way you pull in that 200k+ monies for 4-8 years (as long as you can last essentially), and then jump to in-house making 25% less but having decent hours with a chance to jump into a company's other issues (although, I think making the jump to biz is/has become much harder).
That's the path though. I think having the golden triangle of low hours, high pay, and a career you love is hard to set up and you'll need to lose at least one of those, and take years to get up to something decent.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:30 am

It isn't exciting and I don't know if you'd consider it good pay, but the Board of Veterans' Appeals within the VA hires nearly 100 attorneys every year. If you're a good writer it's a relatively easy federal attorney job to get. The work isn't cool or exciting but it requires nowhere near 40 hours/week if you are highly capable and can be fully remote from anywhere if preferred. Promotion within a few years to GS14 (starting $126k in DC), with GS15 supervisor positions.

forthecause

New

Post by forthecause » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:30 am
It isn't exciting and I don't know if you'd consider it good pay, but the Board of Veterans' Appeals within the VA hires nearly 100 attorneys every year. If you're a good writer it's a relatively easy federal attorney job to get. The work isn't cool or exciting but it requires nowhere near 40 hours/week if you are highly capable and can be fully remote from anywhere if preferred. Promotion within a few years to GS14 (starting $126k in DC), with GS15 supervisor positions.
OP here. Very interesting. I have some army service under my belt already so a fed gig is just the kind of thing I have in mind. Have any other info about competitiveness from a T1/T2? Class rank? Gpa? Summer internships required? Etc
And you say gs14 after a few years. Does it start at gs13?
Any other specifics about hours or the actual work would be appreciated.
Thanks
Thanks

forthecause

New

Post by forthecause » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:30 am
Sent you another message asking about competitiveness from a T1/T2 which I’m still curious about, but been researching this since reading your message, and, man, is there a lot of hate out there from people who’ve been through it. What’s that about? They seem to be complaining that the production requirements make it hell. Do they mean that they’re given more work than they can complete in the week and end up working over 40 hours a week for free? You said it was way under 40 though so I’m confused there. Also, is it really remote where you can live literally anywhere you want in the country? And also heard that it’s 4 days per week from someone. So is this how it works?: you’re paid for 10 hours per day Monday to Thursday, given 2-3 cases to complete at your own pace in that time, and can get it done in like 30 hours if you focus but if you slack off could go over 40 hours and have to work on off days? That how it goes?
There’s terribly little info out there about this, so anything else you can throw in would be a big help

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:24 pm
For a number of reasons, need to limit my hours commuted to my legal career as much as possible.

What’s the job I can do that takes the least amount of hours per week and still makes good money?
Also, to ease my mind as I go into exams, what’s a second option like that that’s also easy to land, if there is one?
Contract attorney reviewing docs? (Not sure what qualifies as "good money" for you, though.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”