Sheppard Mullin? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Sheppard Mullin?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:44 pm

Any thoughts or insight about Sheppard Mullin? Can't find any more recent threads, but strongly considering them. Interested in any information!

Anonymous User

Re: Sheppard Mullin?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:46 pm

A perfectly fine mid-tier firm for T14 students.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:46 pm
Midtier? Sheppard is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Maybe even worse than Shearman.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:51 am

Solid firm. Good financials, decent culture (to the extent you can generalize), and quite a few big name clients. Strongest offices are in LA, but has strong groups elsewhere.

Happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:27 am

It's a great firm. I worked there for a couple of years as a paralegal before law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:35 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:46 pm
Midtier? Sheppard is scraping the bottom of the barrel. Maybe even worse than Shearman.
Lol your mind is warped

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:27 am
It's a great firm. I worked there for a couple of years as a paralegal before law school.
Lol as if a paralegal could speak to the firm...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:28 pm

Recently did a transaction opposite them. Good lawyers, though they didn't have an army of associates so the production speed was on the slower side. FWIW, my firm (V20) tried to poach their senior associate with a generous signing bonus, and that person politely declined.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:11 pm

I think it's going to be fewer hours, a little more reasonable time expectations, but a little less prestigious work and exit options.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:03 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Of course I can? I spent two years in one of their largest offices before matriculating to HYS. What a strange response.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:03 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Spoken like someone who has never been a biglaw para. I was a biglaw para at a v5 firm before lawschool and have subsequently worked for a v20 and v100 firm and I’ll tell you, you can definitely get a good bit of insight into firm culture working as professional staff.

For what it’s worth, I’ve worked with Shepard and they seem like a pleasant group of people.

DiligentSage

New

Post by DiligentSage » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:38 pm

Good firm in CA and decent experience opposite them on deals but not sure about the level of opportunity you would consistently get there. Don't they also decline to promote you if you don't make hours? Remember reading that at some point but might have been idle talk on the grapevine other folks can confirm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:54 am

Really solid firm. Great culture, good people, and good work. California-based but really good, reputable Chicago and NY offices. Market comp/bonuses. For some reason they poach a ton of winston people

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:48 am

Worked across from an L&E lawyer named Richard Simmons (lol) who sits in the LA Office a couple years ago. Genuinely one of the most unpleasant and comically awful human beings I've met, both as a lawyer and otherwise. Have had generally (but not memorably) unpleasant experiences with lawyers in other practice groups who sit in other California Offices. Would avoid, if given the choice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:48 am
Worked across from an L&E lawyer named Richard Simmons (lol) who sits in the LA Office a couple years ago. Genuinely one of the most unpleasant and comically awful human beings I've met, both as a lawyer and otherwise. Have had generally (but not memorably) unpleasant experiences with lawyers in other practice groups who sit in other California Offices. Would avoid, if given the choice.
this is silly. sheppard l&e assoc here. simmons is a typical biglaw dinosaur but the rest of the team is great. if anything, sheppard is a culture firm where the people are laid back and chill.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:24 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:48 am
this is silly. sheppard l&e assoc here. simmons is a typical biglaw dinosaur but the rest of the team is great. if anything, sheppard is a culture firm where the people are laid back and chill.
Quoted OP. Glad for your sake that Simmons is the exception, rather than the rule for your group. (I never suggested he wasn't exceptional, lol.) I stand by what I said, all the same, and I know that other attorneys involved in the matter where all of us crossed paths felt the same way. Given that experience with Simmons and prior, more run-of-the-mill unpleasant experiences with lawyers (mostly, but not exclusively litigators) from the San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego offices, I'm comfortable sharing my negative impression of Sheppard Mullin as a datapoint in response to OP's inquiry.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”