Most competitive Gibson offices? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Most competitive Gibson offices?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:46 pm

How would you rank most competitive Gibson offices? Would DC > LA > Dallas= SF=NY be fair?

Anonymous User

Re: Most competitive Gibson offices?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:53 pm

Please stop

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:41 pm

Lol what a dumb thread. FWIW, it's probably DC = Dallas = LA > SF and Denver > NYC. DC is DC, LA is where the firm is from, and the Dallas office has positioned itself as a top-end lit boutique in Texas. Go to each office's webpage, filter for litigation associates, and you'll get a good sense of credentials and clerkships.

This is for lit, no idea for corp.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:41 pm
Lol what a dumb thread. FWIW, it's probably DC = Dallas = LA > SF and Denver > NYC. DC is DC, LA is where the firm is from, and the Dallas office has positioned itself as a top-end lit boutique in Texas. Go to each office's webpage, filter for litigation associates, and you'll get a good sense of credentials and clerkships.

No need to even bother with corp as for the most part GDC is a not a destination of choice for top corp candidates

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

No need to even bother with corp as for the most part GDC is a not a destination of choice for top corp candidates
Maybe in NY, but it's band 1 corp in DC

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Is Dallas really as competitive as DC for Gibson or is that more a result of Dallas being more ties-sensitive? Also where does Houston fit in on this scale.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:46 pm
How would you rank most competitive Gibson offices? Would DC > LA > Dallas= SF=NY be fair?
DC is the most competitive. NY is the least competitive. The other offices are in between and more variable depending school region / ties / practices. This is true for most firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Is Dallas really as competitive as DC for Gibson or is that more a result of Dallas being more ties-sensitive? Also where does Houston fit in on this scale.
Take a look through the lit associate roster in Dallas. It's stacked with COA clerks. The office has materially more clerks per capita than LA. The Dallas office has a unique history and functions as a high-end lit boutique in the Texas litigation ecosystem.

Houston is a totally different operation. The office revolves almost entirely around transactions. They've been trying to kickstart a fledgling lit practice in the past year or so, but unclear how things will shape out long term. In other words, Houston is probably just a hair above NY in competitiveness.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

eh, depends on the market. I think it’s the best corporate destination in Dallas, but certainly not in NY and probably not for Houston.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:17 am

GDC Dallas is not actually competitive. The credentials of the Dallas litigation associates largely reflect the ease with which middling (or worse) FedSoc-aligned students have scored certain kinds of clerkships in the Trump/post-Trump era. TCR here is DC on one end and NY on another, with the rest of the offices arranged at various points in between. FWIW, for a while, GDC would also let you take a post-SA offer to any office but Denver. Not sure whether that’s still the case, but it certainly suggested (again, a few years ago) that Denver was the most oversubscribed office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:17 am

Dupe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:17 am
GDC Dallas is not actually competitive. The credentials of the Dallas litigation associates largely reflect the ease with which middling (or worse) FedSoc-aligned students have scored certain kinds of clerkships in the Trump/post-Trump era. TCR here is DC on one end and NY on another, with the rest of the offices arranged at various points in between. FWIW, for a while, GDC would also let you take a post-SA offer to any office but Denver. Not sure whether that’s still the case, but it certainly suggested (again, a few years ago) that Denver was the most oversubscribed office.
This is a pretty interesting take to say the least

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:24 am
Anonymous User wrote:
How difficult is it to lateral Dallas for corp. Currently at a V10 in CA. Are they actually elite in that market, had always thought it was mainly lit there

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:59 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:24 am
Anonymous User wrote:
How difficult is it to lateral Dallas for corp. Currently at a V10 in CA. Are they actually elite in that market, had always thought it was mainly lit there
I’ll be there for Dallas corp. It’s a smaller shop vs KE but they’re definitely adding associates, especially juniors, so definitely worth a try.

The local presence is better than KE’s, and the national presence is better than V&E. So I’d say yes, it’s elite in the market. You can look back at older threads here and usually it’s up in the same band as KE/V&E/Sidley.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:43 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

eh, depends on the market. I think it’s the best corporate destination in Dallas, but certainly not in NY and probably not for Houston.
Far, far from a “top” corporate destination in Houston. I’m sure there are great lawyers in that office, but it’s just way too small to be particularly relevant at the top of the market (56 lawyers, vs ~120 at Latham and ~250 at Kirkland and V&E). Still twice as big as Skadden’s Houston office though. And about the same size as Simpson (which has 60). Neither of those are a top corporate destination either, however.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:28 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Far, far from a “top” corporate destination in Houston. I’m sure there are great lawyers in that office, but it’s just way too small to be particularly relevant at the top of the market (56 lawyers, vs ~120 at Latham and ~250 at Kirkland and V&E). Still twice as big as Skadden’s Houston office though. And about the same size as Simpson (which has 60). Neither of those are a top corporate destination either, however.
Yeah, true. The other side of the coin though is basically any t14 student with median grades and a pulse can be hired to bill for V&E/KE Houston

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, true. The other side of the coin though is basically any t14 student with median grades and a pulse can be hired to bill for V&E/KE Houston
And yet another thread turns into K&E bashing by people who are upset their oh so preftigious firms are getting trounced by the team from Chicago.

Also, outside of Susman and (maybe) GDC Dallas, are there any truly grade-selective Texas offices? I always thought the issue with Texas wasn't grades but rather ties.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

And yet another thread turns into K&E bashing by people who are upset their oh so preftigious firms are getting trounced by the team from Chicago.

Also, outside of Susman and (maybe) GDC Dallas, are there any truly grade-selective Texas offices? I always thought the issue with Texas wasn't grades but rather ties.

I’m the one who threw the jab at KE Houston and I worked at KE Chicago lol; I actually don’t mind KE at all, it’s just not hard to get a job there and I don’t think it’s outrageous to note it’s a churn & burn firm

Also yeah I think that’s true re ties v grades, though I think ties are becoming a little less of an issue.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:58 pm

I’m a longtime GDC associate and I can say that they’re pretty flexible with moving internally to other offices once you have an offer—except for Denver. It’s tougher to move there because the office is small and and a lot of people want to live in Denver. So I’d say Denver is the most competitive office. NY/LA (downtown) are least competitive as far as I can tell.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:54 pm

Delete.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

For lit, you’ve got Gibson for Dallas and all the elite Houston boutiques. Not just Susman but also Gibbs Bruns, Yetter, and a few others that are slightly less selective. Given the number of quality boutiques, I would probably say Houston is a better place to be a litigator, all else equal.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

For lit, you’ve got Gibson for Dallas and all the elite Houston boutiques. Not just Susman but also Gibbs Bruns, Yetter, and a few others that are slightly less selective. Given the number of quality boutiques, I would probably say Houston is a better place to be a litigator, all else equal.
Yeah I feel like the Texas litigation scene is far more fractured into boutiques than many other markets. BigLaw offices that focus mostly on transactional and an unusually large collection of litigation boutiques taking up a lot of the high end lit work. Many of the BigLaw lit departments are also stocked with ex-boutique people and function as their own little lit shop within the larger office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I looked through the GDC Dallas litigation associates, as this does not match my experience, and this describes literally none of them. All of the Fed Soc clerk ones graduated with Latin honors and/or Coif from T10s (except the YLS/newer SLS ones, as YLS and recently SLS do not have honors or Coif). Plus they also have a lot of clerks for liberal or nonideological judges. Anyone curious can look through them for themselves, there aren't that many. There are absolutely some Fed Soc clerks with mediocre credentials, but it appears that GDC Dallas hasn't been hiring them.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
GDC Dallas is not actually competitive. The credentials of the Dallas litigation associates largely reflect the ease with which middling (or worse) FedSoc-aligned students have scored certain kinds of clerkships in the Trump/post-Trump era.
Wrong

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:50 am

I thought California went its own way and isn't involved in the prestige rat race of the East Coast, or Northeast. Which makes anything Californian non-prestigious.

So I'd say DC by far. NY manages to snag a magna or two from NYU every year, akin to Latham.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”