Irell (Newport) or MoFo (San Diego) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
emilyemily

New

Irell (Newport) or MoFo (San Diego)

Post by emilyemily » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:34 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm having a difficult decision deciding between these two firms, so I'm turning to the internet to see if anyone can provide any insight.

About me: Hard science background (Biochem); interested in IP but worried about missing out on other areas of law that I haven't had the opportunity to try yet-- also haven't had the opportunity to try IP FWIW; not afraid of hard work/stress and ready to dive into the thick of it to learn all that I can, but would prefer to work with partners who don't yell at associates; love OC but would probably love SD too after initial adjustment period.

Basically, I really enjoyed my interviews/meeting people at both of these firms. I could see myself getting along with the people/being happy in each office. Irell's pros include their reputation for excellent IP lit work, great training/substantive opportunities for young associates, and above-market bonus history. However, I'm worried because I have heard that the Newport Beach office can be a bit intense, and I've also heard Irell's work flow could suffer if Morgan Chu decides to leave.

I really enjoyed meeting everyone at MoFo-- I think I would probably fit in a hair better there than Irell. I don't really know much about the firm's reputation in San Diego, but I like the wide variety of opportunity to try different types of law that they offer. My only other qualm is that I'd have to move down to SD, but I'm sure I would grow to love it.

If anyone has any insight, I would be forever thankful to hear it. Apologies if anything I said about either firm is blatantly wrong.. I don't know what I'm doing or whether anything I've heard is true lol.

Anonymous User

Re: Irell (Newport) or MoFo (San Diego)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:08 pm

emilyemily wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:34 pm
Hi everyone!

I'm having a difficult decision deciding between these two firms, so I'm turning to the internet to see if anyone can provide any insight.

About me: Hard science background (Biochem); interested in IP but worried about missing out on other areas of law that I haven't had the opportunity to try yet-- also haven't had the opportunity to try IP FWIW; not afraid of hard work/stress and ready to dive into the thick of it to learn all that I can, but would prefer to work with partners who don't yell at associates; love OC but would probably love SD too after initial adjustment period.

Basically, I really enjoyed my interviews/meeting people at both of these firms. I could see myself getting along with the people/being happy in each office. Irell's pros include their reputation for excellent IP lit work, great training/substantive opportunities for young associates, and above-market bonus history. However, I'm worried because I have heard that the Newport Beach office can be a bit intense, and I've also heard Irell's work flow could suffer if Morgan Chu decides to leave.

I really enjoyed meeting everyone at MoFo-- I think I would probably fit in a hair better there than Irell. I don't really know much about the firm's reputation in San Diego, but I like the wide variety of opportunity to try different types of law that they offer. My only other qualm is that I'd have to move down to SD, but I'm sure I would grow to love it.

If anyone has any insight, I would be forever thankful to hear it. Apologies if anything I said about either firm is blatantly wrong.. I don't know what I'm doing or whether anything I've heard is true lol.
Two thoughts on Irell (from someone frequently on the other side of the v, so take this with a grain of salt):
(1) They do lots of plaintiff side work. It's a different vibe that some like, others don't. They also have a certain reputation in the field for their litigation style (basically calling everyone else a liar). It works, but I personally wouldn't want to run that on every case.
(2) It's not just that the firm is dependent on Chu, it's also that the firm is a shadow of its former self. They are now a glorified IP boutique with what, 70 attorneys? Don't get me wrong, they do lots of high level top dollar work and you're 100% right about opportunities for juniors, but I personally wouldn't want to go for that kind of instability.

Anonymous User

Re: Irell (Newport) or MoFo (San Diego)

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:08 pm
emilyemily wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:34 pm
Hi everyone!

Two thoughts on Irell (from someone frequently on the other side of the v, so take this with a grain of salt):
(1) They do lots of plaintiff side work. It's a different vibe that some like, others don't. They also have a certain reputation in the field for their litigation style (basically calling everyone else a liar). It works, but I personally wouldn't want to run that on every case.
(2) It's not just that the firm is dependent on Chu, it's also that the firm is a shadow of its former self. They are now a glorified IP boutique with what, 70 attorneys? Don't get me wrong, they do lots of high level top dollar work and you're 100% right about opportunities for juniors, but I personally wouldn't want to go for that kind of instability.
Irell is not remotely unstable... it just trimmed the fat. They just got a 2b+ dollar verdict, got Iancu to come back, opened a DC office, and lured a former Fed Cir judge.... I think their financials are actually the strongest they have ever been.

Reliance on Morgan Chu is overstated. Yes he is a star and shines, but Iancu is also a powerhouse as are many other Irell partners. Hell, it is strong enough that Irell managed to spin off into the elite boutique Hueston Hennigan without Chu in 2015 (sign that even without Chu those left will probably be at least that stable)

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”