Coblentz or Shartsis (SF) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Coblentz or Shartsis (SF)

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:01 pm

Thoughts on either for someone lateraling from biglaw? Think a non-litigation practice. Anecdotally hear great things about the colleagues at each firm. My understanding is that compensation hovers around (but definitely below biglaw) and unclear re: hours. I'm aware that banking on hours being lower than biglaw is not a wise assumption due to the nature of client service. Thoughts, anecdotes and experiences re: these two firms and their lawyers welcome--TYIA

Also, can't be any more specific re: my background due to outing concerns.

hangtime813

Bronze

Re: Coblentz or Shartsis (SF)

Post by hangtime813 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:29 pm

Both firms are local SF firms with great reputations there. As you mentioned, hours are allegedly better with comp pretty close to biglaw (at least Shartsis was from memory). If you want to stay in SF or go in house in SF, great spot to be if you can get an offer there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:43 pm

hangtime813 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:29 pm
Both firms are local SF firms with great reputations there. As you mentioned, hours are allegedly better with comp pretty close to biglaw (at least Shartsis was from memory). If you want to stay in SF or go in house in SF, great spot to be if you can get an offer there.
Thanks for the response. Would you say these two firms are fungible peers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:27 pm

Coblentz 100% but only because the other has the word "Sharts" in its name.

hangtime813

Bronze

Post by hangtime813 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:43 pm
hangtime813 wrote:
Coblentz is an older and slightly larger firm but I think Shartsis was ranked in Vault's top 150 under 150 (or whatever they call it now). More or less interchangeable, as far top midsize firms go i suppose.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:01 pm

hangtime813 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:35 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:43 pm
hangtime813 wrote:
Coblentz is an older and slightly larger firm but I think Shartsis was ranked in Vault's top 150 under 150 (or whatever they call it now). More or less interchangeable, as far top midsize firms go i suppose.

Generalizing of course but seems as if Coblentz may have more recognizable clients (e.g. 49ers in RE deals) and a Napa office (?) while Shartsis appears to have attorneys with more selective schools and with biglaw backgrounds (could be a plus or minus, not sure). Also not sure how similar the compensation is.

Interesting re: Vault's Top 150 under 150. I wonder how reliable their rankings are for midsize firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”