When to lateral? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When to lateral?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:46 pm

I’m a third year (capital markets, V50) and think it’s about time to lateral. My plan has always been to tough it out in biglaw for 3-5 years and then to move in-house/government, so I feel if I don’t lateral by the end of the year, I would lose out on a potential signing bonus, as I won’t be lateraling later anymore.

My only question is when to start interviewing? My only consideration to wait is that I want my EOY bonus this year, so should I wait until December or so to really kick my search in higher gear? Or is it best to start now and just negotiate for an EOY bonus (is that a thing?)?

existentialcrisis

Silver

Re: When to lateral?

Post by existentialcrisis » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:46 pm
I’m a third year (capital markets, V50) and think it’s about time to lateral. My plan has always been to tough it out in biglaw for 3-5 years and then to move in-house/government, so I feel if I don’t lateral by the end of the year, I would lose out on a potential signing bonus, as I won’t be lateraling later anymore.

My only question is when to start interviewing? My only consideration to wait is that I want my EOY bonus this year, so should I wait until December or so to really kick my search in higher gear? Or is it best to start now and just negotiate for an EOY bonus (is that a thing?)?
Negotiating for year end bonus is definitely a thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:54 pm

You can try to negotiate for a signing bonus plus full EOY bonus; I'm not sure if that's attainable anymore. But if you find your job tolerable then think carefully before lateraling if your goal is just to get more money out of biglaw. A lot of partners are truly awful to work under and you don't want to end up somewhere that you hate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:44 pm

Just as a data point for you: my offer from Latham offered a full sign-on bonus as long as I hit prorated hours (LW requires 1,900 hours a year, but only had to hit 950 hours to get full bonus because I joined in the middle of the year). Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”