Using VBA/Python (or something else) to make work more efficient? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
uncle_rico

New

Using VBA/Python (or something else) to make work more efficient?

Post by uncle_rico » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:42 pm

I always hear of people simplifying tasks in other jobs using VBA or Python or some other type of programming language to create useful scripts. Are there any ways that I can use these types of tools in big law to make my life easier / be more efficient and what are some tasks that you have used these tools for in the past? Trying to see if its worth learning any of this sort of stuff while work is still slow.

Anonymous User

Re: Using VBA/Python (or something else) to make work more efficient?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:48 pm

BIglaw firms already do a lot of stuff like this in terms of analytics and sophisticated discovery vendors. You might be able to collaborate with the knowledge management folks at the firm to innovate some new thing, but you'll mostly be too busy trying to get your work done day to day. A lot of the super rote stuff assigned to juniors actually does require human judgment and case-by-case manual review, sad to say.

hdr

Bronze

Post by hdr » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:13 pm

If you don't have a background in coding I doubt you can teach yourself Python or VBA while working biglaw, even when it's slow. Also your primary job is to bill hours, not to run scripts that reduce your hours worked.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:24 pm

hdr wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:13 pm
If you don't have a background in coding I doubt you can teach yourself Python or VBA while working biglaw, even when it's slow. Also your primary job is to bill hours, not to run scripts that reduce your hours worked.
Just run scripts and work slowly while chatting

legalpotato

Bronze

Post by legalpotato » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:36 am

I outsource my junior work and that has freed up a TON of time!

Some asshole partner emails me at 5 PM with a big due diligence push he/she needs done by tomorrow morning, I respond back "Awesome! Absolutely will do and will have it in your inbox before you wake up!!! Thank you for this opportunity!" Then I use some outsourcing social apps and get some dudes in India on it, pay them a combined $50, wake up in morning, forward on to partner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:53 pm

legalpotato wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:36 am
I outsource my junior work and that has freed up a TON of time!

Some asshole partner emails me at 5 PM with a big due diligence push he/she needs done by tomorrow morning, I respond back "Awesome! Absolutely will do and will have it in your inbox before you wake up!!! Thank you for this opportunity!" Then I use some outsourcing social apps and get some dudes in India on it, pay them a combined $50, wake up in morning, forward on to partner.
Surely this is sarcasm? The attorney-client privilege consequences alone...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”