How to drink - professionally Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How to drink - professionally

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:23 am
RedNewJersey wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:24 pm
lawlzschool wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:47 pm
Honestly can't believe no one has recommended grey goose for vodka??? Agree with tanqueray or hendricks for gin and patron and casamigos for tequila but would add corralejo. I don't drink anything in the whiskey family after too many bad nights (and worse mornings) in undergrad and would literally drink water or nothing instead if whiskey was the only option
Grey Goose is good, but its branding is such that some people might think of it as a "poor person's idea of a fancy liquor." It's kinda like a Rolex or a Ferrari, almost a stereotype of a luxury vodka. I don't think this is fair, necessarily, and if you like Grey Goose go for it, but it doesn't seem to match OP's request.
Is this trolling or have the two coasts gotten this far apart culturally? Glad I’m in california if y’all out east are looking at my liquor and calling me poor (sidenote: I AM poor, my T4 cost me some serious dollars). However maybe it’s just pauper me who still goes for the Cuervo, but if goose is too pricey wouldn’t Patron be too? And Hendricks as well? I think of those three in the same category (I.e. out of my price range) but one of the bartenders in this thread pls tell me I’m wrong (my firm doesn’t reimburse or serve hard liquor due to NALP guidelines so this has never been an issue for me anyway).

Also agree with knowing beers but be ready for 1. Someone to laugh and think you’re joking or 2. Argue with you/spend 10 mins talking about their fav Hazy if you call Blue Moon craft. Get whatever Pils they have on draught and then consider trying some sours/lagers/saisons (also light imo) or if you’re into heavies IPAs and Stouts are yer bois
No, no one out east gives a shit what you drink. No one anywhere gives a shit what you drink or whether you drink. This thread is for trolls and neurotic weirdos who have 0 social skills - which more or less sums up TLS.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:45 am
I haven’t read this whole thread, so apologies if someone already made the observation.

Young lawyers should generally be aware that alcoholism is a real and serious problem in the legal profession. I’ve seen way more careers stunted (even ruined) by drinking than not drinking. There’s really very little to gain by “drinking professionally,” whereas there’s everything to lose by, say, drinking to excess at a client dinner or even a general work event.

I’m a drinker, by the way, so this isn’t coming from personal bias.
What is this “young lawyers” LARP meme people have been doing, always in anon, to seem old and wise ? Addiction hardly discriminates by age, and the older folks at my firm are just as likely to get drunk at any given event.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:58 am
No, no one out east gives a shit what you drink. No one anywhere gives a shit what you drink or whether you drink. This thread is for trolls and neurotic weirdos who have 0 social skills - which more or less sums up TLS.
How can you say "no one" when there are literally people on this thread saying the opposite? You're totally right that OP shouldn't care about what those neurotic hardos think, but it doesn't mean they don't exist. If OP wants to placate them because OP could care less what to drink, then that's OP's prerogative.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:24 am

danishblue wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:16 am
I think BigLaw in NYC is fairly conservative. So you need to ask yourself, what do I want to signal and how might it affect my career.
5 guy BigLaw first year associates go out for beer Friday evening. 4 order Heineken, you order Sex on the Beach. You can certainly do that, but why would you want to.
During the walk to the bar with the 4 associates, I take out my MAGA hat and put it on. I can certainly do that but why would I want to. Is it in any way sensible.
To Nixy above, the drink you order sends out a signal, and it should not be a taboo topic on this thread. If it is, then the whole thread should have been deleted as soon as it went up, but it seems like a pretty popular thread.
Picture me working on a BigLaw matter for David Geffen or Tim Cook of Apple (gay) and I want to wear my polka dot lavender bow tie to court. I run it by Geffen and Cook. They'd both say "I'd prefer if you dressed more conservatively, unless the Judge is gay. Being gay is fine but we really want to win the case."
Ngl I’m with danishblue on this one, or at least the sentiment. The point of this whole thread is how to signal correctly or signal in a way that doesn’t get you noticed or perceived a certain way. For better or worse that may be going with the crowd, whether or not you personally like it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:26 am

[Messed up the quote feature]

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:29 am

Res Ipsa Loquitter wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:22 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I haven’t read this whole thread, so apologies if someone already made the observation.

Young lawyers should generally be aware that alcoholism is a real and serious problem in the legal profession. I’ve seen way more careers stunted (even ruined) by drinking than not drinking. There’s really very little to gain by “drinking professionally,” whereas there’s everything to lose by, say, drinking to excess at a client dinner or even a general work event.

What is this “young lawyers” LARP meme people have been doing, always in anon, to seem old and wise ? Addiction hardly discriminates by age, and the older folks at my firm are just as likely to get drunk at any given event.
I’m the anon you’re quoting. Not sure what was so contentious about this post. I directed my comment at young lawyers because they presumably aren’t as familiar with the prevalence of drinking problems in our profession, and because the thread was started by someone beginning their legal career—that is, a “young lawyer.” I wasn’t suggesting young lawyers are more susceptible to overindulging than older lawyers.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:29 am
Res Ipsa Loquitter wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:22 am
Anonymous User wrote:

I’m the anon you’re quoting. Not sure what was so contentious about this post. I directed my comment at young lawyers because they presumably aren’t as familiar with the prevalence of drinking problems in our profession, and because the thread was started by someone beginning their legal career—that is, a “young lawyer.” I wasn’t suggesting young lawyers are more susceptible to overindulging than older lawyers.
My apologies. We’ve had an influx of trolls, often anonymous, who offer lessons for “young lawyers” from the comfort of their mom’s basement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:23 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:58 am
How can you say "no one" when there are literally people on this thread saying the opposite? You're totally right that OP shouldn't care about what those neurotic hardos think, but it doesn't mean they don't exist. If OP wants to placate them because OP could care less what to drink, then that's OP's prerogative.
The people who care about what you drink are gonna find a way to judge you for some other reason and you’re never going to please them

Don’t spend your life worrying about that and do whatever you want. The majority of people both in the legal and other professions are extremely light to non - drinkers and won’t care about what type of clear liquid is in your glass

2023Hopeful

New

Post by 2023Hopeful » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:49 pm

thisismytlsuername wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:49 pm
This thread is incredible. I'd judge someone less for not drinking at all than I would if they ordered a screwdriver or a vodka pineapple.
Not enough people are focusing on the fact that a 2L SA was recommending ordering screwdrivers in a thread about fitting in and drinking professionally

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

danishblue

New

Post by danishblue » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:02 pm

"This thread is incredible. I'd judge someone less for not drinking at all than I would if they ordered a screwdriver or a vodka pineapple."

Of course the thread is incredible, just look at the title of the thread. That you clicked on. And it's been the most popular thread in the last 4 days. You won't see me that often on other threads. Drinking is what I know the most about.

I like to buy the Dole OJ/Pineapple Frozen Concentrate to make my screwdrivers. I can then avoid the high fructose corn syrup.

Regarding Tallboys (24 ouncers) can anyone weigh in on Notorious Big versus Old English 800 versus King Cobra?

If you're at Simpson, I would not order the Old English or Cobra.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:19 pm

danishblue wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:26 pm
Thank you anonymous.
Be careful what you signal.
Tolerance for the viewpoints of others is at an all time low in USA.
Even in so called progressive areas of Manhattan.

If you want to experience this firsthand, I'll loan you my MAGA hat. You can wear it and walk down the sidewalk in a nice area of Manhattan at 8PM Friday in August. I'll be walking 30 feet behind you, not that I'm afraid or anything. I hope your health insurance is paid up.

Then you can see firsthand how tolerant others are.
They certainly are tolerant. As long as your politics align with theirs.
Listen, man, I agree with you. But this thread isn't about tolerance or MAGA. You'll catch more flies with honey than by annoying the rest of this lot that clearly doesn't like what you're saying.

TL;DR, you're just trying to be a victim/martyr and memeifying the values purport to support in the process. Either that or you're a really terrible troll.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:44 pm

What is the danish approved drink for a “young associate” then?

West coast v10

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:44 pm
What is the danish approved drink for a “young associate” then?

West coast v10
He's obsessed with Simpson, so probably a six-pack of Duff.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

danishblue

New

Post by danishblue » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:10 pm

Order a Heineken, Beefeater Gin Tonic and lime slice, Vodka tonic & green olive.
Avoid any neon aqua or neon pink drinks, Sex on the Beach, any drink involving mini blow torches, meringue, smoke infusions (unless at Simpson), the bartender beating egg whites, 211 Steel Reserve Tallboys (24 ouncers), Old English 800 and Notorious Big Tallboys.

If Kirkland, Old English 800 may be acceptable.

I keep hearing "Let me be me, I'll order what I want, no one will judge me".
That's lovely. Wear my MAGA hat as you walk down Manhattan sidewalks and see how tolerant Manhattan is.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:21 pm

danishblue wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:10 pm
Order a Heineken, Beefeater Gin Tonic and lime slice, Vodka tonic & green olive.
Avoid any neon aqua or neon pink drinks, Sex on the Beach, any drink involving mini blow torches, meringue, smoke infusions (unless at Simpson), the bartender beating egg whites, 211 Steel Reserve Tallboys (24 ouncers), Old English 800 and Notorious Big Tallboys.

If Kirkland, Old English 800 may be acceptable.

I keep hearing "Let me be me, I'll order what I want, no one will judge me".
That's lovely. Wear my MAGA hat as you walk down Manhattan sidewalks and see how tolerant Manhattan is.
Did you not hear me when I said you're literally shooting your own cause in the foot?
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:19 pm
Listen, man, I agree with you. But this thread isn't about tolerance or MAGA. You'll catch more flies with honey than by annoying the rest of this lot that clearly doesn't like what you're saying.

TL;DR, you're just trying to be a victim/martyr and memeifying the values purport to support in the process. Either that or you're a really terrible troll.

danishblue

New

Post by danishblue » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:33 pm

"terrible troll"
look at the title of the thread.
That you clicked onto.
You were expecting a Harvard Law Review article?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:35 pm

danishblue wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:33 pm
"terrible troll"
look at the title of the thread.
That you clicked onto.
You were expecting a Harvard Law Review article?
Again, you just keep responding selectively to whatever you think allows you to use your fav buzz words (MAGA, Harvard, Kirkland, Simpson, and apparently now 40s). Just stop.

I won't pull a you and I'll answer your question. I read the title and thought I would give some actual advice on how to drink in a professional setting. But instead you're just filling this thread with unprofessional, barely-in-English nonsense. I sincerely hope you get banned.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:55 pm

Mod Note: Danishblue has been banned and is a likely alt of a previously banned poster.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RedNewJersey wrote:
lawlzschool wrote:
Honestly can't believe no one has recommended grey goose for vodka??? Agree with tanqueray or hendricks for gin and patron and casamigos for tequila but would add corralejo. I don't drink anything in the whiskey family after too many bad nights (and worse mornings) in undergrad and would literally drink water or nothing instead if whiskey was the only option
Grey Goose is good, but its branding is such that some people might think of it as a "poor person's idea of a fancy liquor." It's kinda like a Rolex or a Ferrari, almost a stereotype of a luxury vodka. I don't think this is fair, necessarily, and if you like Grey Goose go for it, but it doesn't seem to match OP's request.
Is this trolling or have the two coasts gotten this far apart culturally? Glad I’m in california if y’all out east are looking at my liquor and calling me poor (sidenote: I AM poor, my T4 cost me some serious dollars). However maybe it’s just pauper me who still goes for the Cuervo, but if goose is too pricey wouldn’t Patron be too? And Hendricks as well? I think of those three in the same category (I.e. out of my price range) but one of the bartenders in this thread pls tell me I’m wrong (my firm doesn’t reimburse or serve hard liquor due to NALP guidelines so this has never been an issue for me anyway).

Also agree with knowing beers but be ready for 1. Someone to laugh and think you’re joking or 2. Argue with you/spend 10 mins talking about their fav Hazy if you call Blue Moon craft. Get whatever Pils they have on draught and then consider trying some sours/lagers/saisons (also light imo) or if you’re into heavies IPAs and Stouts are yer bois
This could be my personal bias because I'm a Hendricks drinker (typically in a martini if it's a nice place that I trust will make a good one, but occasionally with just tonic/lime), but I agree with the poster above that ordering GG seems like you want to order something that sounds expensive without actually knowing anything about vodkas beyond what you've seen on tv (not that GG isn't good, there's just so much in your face branding by them), whereas ordering Hendricks makes it seem like you just know your preference and have experience with different types of gin, since hendricks isn't really on tv ads or anything like that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:58 pm

double post

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
RedNewJersey wrote:
lawlzschool wrote:

This could be my personal bias because I'm a Hendricks drinker (typically in a martini if it's a nice place that I trust will make a good one, but occasionally with just tonic/lime), but I agree with the poster above that ordering GG seems like you want to order something that sounds expensive without actually knowing anything about vodkas beyond what you've seen on tv (not that GG isn't good, there's just so much in your face branding by them), whereas ordering Hendricks makes it seem like you just know your preference and have experience with different types of gin, since hendricks isn't really on tv ads or anything like that.
To the extent I judge what others drink (I really don't), I generally assume basic competence and minimal pretentiousness from anyone ordering Stoli, Tanqueray, Beefeater, Casamigos, Four Roses or Bulleit at a normal bar that serves cocktails. Vodka's probably the most challenging to find a good option that doesn't seem like you're trying too hard, but Stoli checks those boxes for me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:58 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
RedNewJersey wrote:
lawlzschool wrote:

To the extent I judge what others drink (I really don't), I generally assume basic competence and minimal pretentiousness from anyone ordering Stoli, Tanqueray, Beefeater, Casamigos, Four Roses or Bulleit at a normal bar that serves cocktails. Vodka's probably the most challenging to find a good option that doesn't seem like you're trying too hard, but Stoli checks those boxes for me.
How do you feel about tito’s?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:49 pm
How do you feel about tito’s?
I'm one of the GG haters, but have no qualms with Tito's. I guess if I had to say something it's trendy, but not in a bad way. I'd believe you if you said you like Tito's for Tito's, and not the name.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:49 am

1) yes, titos is what you want for vodka if you want to message "I know how to drink as a professional" and order vodka.

2) you can 100% get away with never taking a sip and never being judged for it, but it's disingenuous to pretend there are 0 advantages to drinking when done right. At every firm I've been at there has been at least one partner I've bonded with over a few late nights at the bar after a filing or while traveling for a matter and it 100% helps in terms of getting work, having a more casual relationship with the partner, hearing firm gossip, etc. Getting a partner drunk is a very educational experience. Now is this the healthiest thing, probably not - but whatever.

(Also, tangential note but this is definitely an example of how the profession can be harder for women. As a guy I can go and get shitfaced with a biggish partner without it being awkward and then be buddy buddy the next day. It has a totally different appearance if I was a woman, and professionally drinking as a woman, from an outsiders perspective at least, unsurprisingly seems like a much more complicated beast.)

3) I think this thread is focusing a bit on the wrong area. Beer is generally easy (don't order one of the like 4 macro brews or the light variants) or cocktails (stick to the cocktails on the menu with your favorite base spirit, any spirit with soda, or brown cocktails if you don't want to engage your brain in making a decision) - wine is where things get fucking stressful. I had a partner intrust me with wine ordering duties at dinner and (mostly jokingly) give me shit when the wine was kind of bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:49 am
1) yes, titos is what you want for vodka if you want to message "I know how to drink as a professional" and order vodka.

2) you can 100% get away with never taking a sip and never being judged for it, but it's disingenuous to pretend there are 0 advantages to drinking when done right. At every firm I've been at there has been at least one partner I've bonded with over a few late nights at the bar after a filing or while traveling for a matter and it 100% helps in terms of getting work, having a more casual relationship with the partner, hearing firm gossip, etc. Getting a partner drunk is a very educational experience. Now is this the healthiest thing, probably not - but whatever.

(Also, tangential note but this is definitely an example of how the profession can be harder for women. As a guy I can go and get shitfaced with a biggish partner without it being awkward and then be buddy buddy the next day. It has a totally different appearance if I was a woman, and professionally drinking as a woman, from an outsiders perspective at least, unsurprisingly seems like a much more complicated beast.)

3) I think this thread is focusing a bit on the wrong area. Beer is generally easy (don't order one of the like 4 macro brews or the light variants) or cocktails (stick to the cocktails on the menu with your favorite base spirit, any spirit with soda, or brown cocktails if you don't want to engage your brain in making a decision) - wine is where things get fucking stressful. I had a partner intrust me with wine ordering duties at dinner and (mostly jokingly) give me shit when the wine was kind of bad.
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:32 am
OP here - thanks all for the responses. But yes, I’d say looking for somewhere to start, and especially what drinks are appropriate in certain situations. Ideally I could find maybe a wine order and a cocktail that could be ordered everywhere depending on who I’m with (the 1-2 times I’ve tasted beer did not like at all)
I generally agree beer is easier (pick a variety and just order one), but OP doesn't seem to like it. Maybe OP should try better beer, but this is why we've been focusing on cocktails/mixed drinks. I agree wine is tough (there's so much more to know), but if you're going out to dinner chances are someone is going to ask you if you like X variety, so unless you want to say you don't like wine it helps to have at least some knowledge.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”