DC rent? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Loftyre

New

DC rent?

Post by Loftyre » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:48 pm

Saw a thread on NYC rent and wanted to get input on what expected DC rent would be. Looking to stay near the red line within a 25 min commute from downtown.

Baron7

New

Re: DC rent?

Post by Baron7 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:42 pm

FWIW, I was able to secure a swanky one bedroom apt for under $2000 a month, less than a mile from Union Station and within walking distance to many firms, gov't offices, and GULC. But the building had just opened, so I don't necessarily think that price point is normal.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:48 pm

Loftyre wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:48 pm
Saw a thread on NYC rent and wanted to get input on what expected DC rent would be. Looking to stay near the red line within a 25 min commute from downtown.
It's less expensive than NYC, and more expensive than downtown Orlando.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:40 pm

Baron7 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:42 pm
FWIW, I was able to secure a swanky one bedroom apt for under $2000 a month, less than a mile from Union Station and within walking distance to many firms, gov't offices, and GULC. But the building had just opened, so I don't necessarily think that price point is normal.
I think a mile walk to the metro is going to be a little too far for me. I’d love info for a 1BR in NW neighborhoods but also looking for data points, so where exactly do you live?

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:54 pm

I think you should budget $2500 as a baseline number.
Baron7 wrote:
(1) Opinions clearly vary significantly on what counts as “swanky”

(2) Why would being able to walk to GeorgeTTTown be a good thing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:58 pm

Loftyre wrote:
I pay 3k for a two bedroom with parking in a really nice building within walking distance of the redline. I could have found something for much lower, but I plan on working from home a lot so I decided to splurge on a nice office space. You could find something from anywhere between 1.8k - 2.5k that would be plenty nice enough, just depends on things you want/need.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:58 pm
Loftyre wrote:
I pay 3k for a two bedroom with parking in a really nice building within walking distance of the redline. I could have found something for much lower, but I plan on working from home a lot so I decided to splurge on a nice office space. You could find something from anywhere between 1.8k - 2.5k that would be plenty nice enough, just depends on things you want/need.
Ok I have to know where you’re living because nice 1BRs bedrooms within a 30 min commute are $2700+

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:33 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Loftyre wrote:
Ok I have to know where you’re living because nice 1BRs bedrooms within a 30 min commute are $2700+
It's doable in NE DC close to Union Station.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:42 pm

nealric wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Loftyre wrote:
It's doable in NE DC close to Union Station.
Exactly where I live haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Loftyre wrote:
Your apartment research needs some help, especially the junior 1BR within even like a ~15 minute commute can hover around 2k

Baron7

New

Post by Baron7 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:40 pm
Baron7 wrote:
I think a mile walk to the metro is going to be a little too far for me. I’d love info for a 1BR in NW neighborhoods but also looking for data points, so where exactly do you live?
Close to everyone else ITT, it seems. You can get similar or better deals in some NW neighborhoods, but your commute is going to be longer. Van Ness/Forest Hills, Cleveland Park, and Woodley Park are probably the only NW neighborhoods that fit your criteria (and you would have to live VERY close to the metro stop). Takoma is another neighborhood that is affordable, safe, and would likely accommodate your schedule. It is technically in NW DC, but geographically it is on the same latitude as downtown.

OPM

New

Post by OPM » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:01 pm

Loftyre wrote:
I think if you want to live in a newer building downtown, you should aim to budget 2500-3000. That would comfortably get you into a nice building in West End, Mt Vernon, Shaw or Navy Yard / Wharf areas where most of the younger lawyers tend to live. Metro is pretty easy, but Ubers are also quite cheap and quick in DC if you’re within a few miles of your office.

I live in a really big 2BR in a luxury building and pay 2500 (1/2 of the roughly 5k rent). Most of my friends living in the big buildings: Lydian/Lyric; Navy Yard ones; West25; CityCenter, etc pay about 2700-800 for 1BRs. If you want to pay closer to 2k, you’re going to have to either split a cheaper 2BR or live farther out / in a sketchier area in my experience.

It’s a much better situation that NYC. Especially because at these price points there’s plenty of supply and you don’t have to wait in lines. Also no broker fees for most buildings in DC, which is pretty dope, cf. NYC.

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:03 pm

NYC broker fees are one of the biggest rackets out there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:03 pm

NYC broker fees are one of the biggest rackets out there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:50 pm

OPM wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:01 pm
Loftyre wrote:
I think if you want to live in a newer building downtown, you should aim to budget 2500-3000. That would comfortably get you into a nice building in West End, Mt Vernon, Shaw or Navy Yard / Wharf areas where most of the younger lawyers tend to live. Metro is pretty easy, but Ubers are also quite cheap and quick in DC if you’re within a few miles of your office.

I live in a really big 2BR in a luxury building and pay 2500 (1/2 of the roughly 5k rent). Most of my friends living in the big buildings: Lydian/Lyric; Navy Yard ones; West25; CityCenter, etc pay about 2700-800 for 1BRs. If you want to pay closer to 2k, you’re going to have to either split a cheaper 2BR or live farther out / in a sketchier area in my experience.

It’s a much better situation that NYC. Especially because at these price points there’s plenty of supply and you don’t have to wait in lines. Also no broker fees for most buildings in DC, which is pretty dope, cf. NYC.
I don’t know if you’ve looked lately but I’m moving to DC and in the west end nice buildings you can’t even get a Junior 1BR for less than $3k.

mandrewsf

New

Post by mandrewsf » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:52 pm

Baron7 wrote:
Sounds like Noma/Gallaudet, which is undesirable given the crime spikes.

Wanderingdrock

Bronze

Post by Wanderingdrock » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:20 am

I used to live in Woodley Park, 5 minute walk to Metro in an older building. Rents in that building are now low-$2000s for a one bedroom, utilities (but not internet) included. As long as you're okay with an older apartment, it was an incredible place to live - you're near Embassy Row, so it's one of the safest neighborhoods in DC, and you get 800 sqf right next to Rock Creek Park and a short walk to Adams Morgan, somewhat longer walk to Georgetown. You can find similar set-ups in Cleveland Park, Van Ness - pretty much any neighborhood north of Dupont along the Red Line - just gotta sacrifice modernity, for which you'd be paying a minimum of $500/month (and probably closer to $1k) extra.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Baron7

New

Post by Baron7 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:39 am

mandrewsf wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:52 pm
Baron7 wrote:
Not really—I’m somewhat close, though. Very happy with where I live, the safety, and the amount of money I’m paying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:55 pm

Baron7 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:39 am
mandrewsf wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:52 pm
Baron7 wrote:
Not really—I’m somewhat close, though. Very happy with where I live, the safety, and the amount of money I’m paying.
Personally, I love NOMA. I don't think it is meaningfully less safe than other neighborhoods I would want to live in (aka not the super residential neighborhoods, but ones with great food/nightlife). Plus, the money saved and newer buildings are a great plus.

mandrewsf

New

Post by mandrewsf » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:28 pm

Idk why no one's talking about NoVa? Easy access to all the firms via the metro, great shopping options and nightlife, better safety than DC and lower income taxes. Dating is a bit worse but a worthwhile tradeoff imo.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:29 pm

I'm likewise looking for a place to live near the red line and near Union Station.

Can't believe some of the prices I'm hearing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:09 pm

Wild Card wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:29 pm
I'm likewise looking for a place to live near the red line and near Union Station.

Yeah I feel like a lot of people on this thread got COVID deals because I’m likewise having trouble finding anything in the range discussed.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:09 pm
Wild Card wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:29 pm

Yeah I feel like a lot of people on this thread got COVID deals because I’m likewise having trouble finding anything in the range discussed.
People on TLS, and also Reddit, consistently understate real-world living costs. They will claim you can get an awesome Manhattan apartment for $2500 per month ($83 per day!)

I think their goal is to suggest they have special local know-how and street smarts and therefore can bend a highly efficient real estate market to their will.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:51 pm

I pay $2500 for 3 bedrooms further out than what you're looking for. Closer options were more expensive - T Street small 1 Bedroom (basement) for $2200. Hill East walkable to the metro (Blue/Silver/Orange) was more like $3000 to $3500 for a 2 bedroom.

elmar

New

Post by elmar » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:21 pm

I really does depend on how nice you want your neighborhood and unit to be. Three months ago friend of mine rented a two-bed in Brentwood that's a sub 10-minute walk to the red line for $1500. It's a perfectly comfortable, well maintained apartment. You can bike to the mall in 20 minutes and be at union station in sub-20 minutes if you time the train correctly. He complains it's pretty quiet and boring, so it just depends on the preferences and what a dollar's worth to you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”