Sidley (NY) vs. Weil (NY) vs. White & Case (NY) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
KGupta

New

Sidley (NY) vs. Weil (NY) vs. White & Case (NY)

Post by KGupta » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:29 pm

I'm not too tied to a specific practice group even though I like white collar and investigations on the litigation side and projects, fund formation, and shareholder activism (which might be a Sidley-specific subgroup) on the transactions. I care most about overall prestige, culture, and how strong of a platform the firm has in terms of starting one's career. I'm not a citizen so there's a chance I end up re-recruiting in London in 2025, so perhaps that's also a factor.

Anonymous User

Re: Sidley (NY) vs. Weil (NY) vs. White & Case (NY)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:06 pm

KGupta wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:29 pm
I'm not too tied to a specific practice group even though I like white collar and investigations on the litigation side and projects, fund formation, and shareholder activism (which might be a Sidley-specific subgroup) on the transactions. I care most about overall prestige, culture, and how strong of a platform the firm has in terms of starting one's career. I'm not a citizen so there's a chance I end up re-recruiting in London in 2025, so perhaps that's also a factor.
Sidley has the best shareholder activism practice amongst the three, but I would be shocked if the practice had any substantial presence in London. As you probably already know, anything other than cap markets and maybe M&A is hard to come by outside of the States unless you are admitted into the local jurisdiction.

W&C has the best London practice out of the three and it's not even close.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:48 pm

Double-check with Chambers, but Weil has a strong funds practice. It has white collar work but it didn't strike me as their strongest practice (which isn't to say it's not excellent). The Weil NYC culture is good. Restructuring are a bit intense but they're also elite (and therefore hard working). I liked almost everyone I met at Weil; just fun and pleasant people on the whole. I also think it has the coolest office (corner of Central Park).

mandrewsf

New

Post by mandrewsf » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:32 pm

If overall platform/prestige is what you're looking for I don't see how either Sidley or W&C could hold a candle to Weil in New York.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:44 pm

mandrewsf wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:32 pm
If overall platform/prestige is what you're looking for I don't see how either Sidley or W&C could hold a candle to Weil in New York.

W&C is by far the best at Projects though.

This is a hard one because these firms are good at different things and OP has such broad interests.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:21 pm

mandrewsf wrote:
+1. This is worth considering since you (OP) seem to be aiming for the NY market and said prestige + exit ops matter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:20 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:44 pm
mandrewsf wrote:

W&C is by far the best at Projects though.

This is a hard one because these firms are good at different things and OP has such broad interests.
Though W&C's project team has recently had an exodus of associates. Not sure why...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”