Choosing firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm should I choose

Poll ended at Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:12 pm

Results
32%
Delete
54%
Delete 2
14%

Total votes: 28

Anonymous User

Choosing firms

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:12 pm

I have SA offers from both firms through OCI. Thoughts on this, the firms, their cultures? TIA!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DiligentSage

New

Re: Ropes & Gray LA vs. Goodwin SV

Post by DiligentSage » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:57 pm

If you want to do EC/VC, then this is easily in favor of Goodwin since Ropes doesn't really do much of that. I would have a stronger predilection toward Ropes if you were more set on say PE M&A or similar. Ropes' LA office is also pretty small/new -- you may not have a lot of choice in what you end up doing whereas if you had a change of heart at Goodwin SV on your choice of corporate practices, Goodwin SV is definitely big enough for that to happen.

persia1921

New

Re: Ropes & Gray LA vs. Goodwin SV

Post by persia1921 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:05 pm

I’d lean Goodwin SV because it will offer more optionality in terms of breadth of practice. Ropes LA is brand new (the paint is literally still drying at the offices) so hard to say what the office will look like longer term, but it was opened mostly to cater to PE and asset management (to a lesser extent) clients. Both good firms, I just think GP is the smarter move in this situation for a new lawyer.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”