How to Find Out Female Interviewer's Marital Status Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to Find Out Female Interviewer's Marital Status

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:13 am

anyone have insight on how to figure out a female interviewer's marital status to know whether to put "Ms." or "Mrs." in the thank-you note? sometimes this information is publicly accessible or can be deduced through social media/age, but sometimes it isn't (especially with partners).

is the protocol to just ask them in the interview? or to err on the side of caution and start thank-you notes with both "Ms./Mrs. _________"...writing their full-name is so awkward...ugh help

Anonymous User

Re: How to Find Out Female Interviewer's Marital Status

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:13 am
anyone have insight on how to figure out a female interviewer's marital status to know whether to put "Ms." or "Mrs." in the thank-you note? sometimes this information is publicly accessible or can be deduced through social media/age, but sometimes it isn't (especially with partners).

is the protocol to just ask them in the interview? or to err on the side of caution and start thank-you notes with both "Ms./Mrs. _________"...writing their full-name is so awkward...ugh help
Title made this seem much more cringe than it is, but this has to be a trollolol. If it's not, then the convention in business is to use Ms. regardless of marital status, but more importantly just use their first name. I think there's a recent thread on this and there's absolutely no reason to go with the formal Mr./Ms. Last Name when addressing a thank you note, even if correspondence from the firm to you has been mostly Mr./Ms./Mrs.

/Thread

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:42 am

1. Do not write Mr./Ms/Mrs in emails. I don't know who is telling you kids to do this but stop. Say "Hi [first name]. So if your interviewer was Sarah Smith don't say Dear Ms. Smith, say Hi Sarah.

2. The whole point of the Ms. designation is to have a marriage neutral term equivalent to Mr. The old fashioned way was Miss for single women and Mrs. for married. I can't believe you didn't know this, but now you do. If you're in a social situation where honorific is appropriate and are not sure which to use, use Ms. But again, don't use honorific in an interview or thank you note. Use first names.

3. Do not creep on your interviewer's personal life this way. This makes me think this is dumb trolling tbh but I felt like answering anyway. But don't do this.

4. All this is just more reason not to write thank you emails. You freaks can't be trusted not to get weird about it.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:01 am

You should definitely go into the interviews and ask your women interviewers what their marital status is, that will really make you stand out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:14 am

nixy wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:01 am
You should definitely go into the interviews and ask your women interviewers what their marital status is, that will really make you stand out.
It will certainly be memorable for all involved!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:47 am

OP is probably a troll, but I have worked for a partner who changes "Ms." to "Mrs." in motions and briefs, even when the other side, who is aligned with the individual woman in question, uses "Ms." Makes me feel super awkward having my name on the papers.

And no, it's not something like residential real estate, family law, or estate planning where family relationships are more centered. It's biglaw business litigation.

And the partner is GenX!

(He's said disparaging things in the past about the existence of sexism etc. so there is no point in trying to push back more directly).

legalpotato

Bronze

Post by legalpotato » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:35 am

nixy wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:01 am
Yeah but you got to be subtle about it. I always ask "so where do you and your boyfriend like to eat around town?" They never suspect my ulterior motives :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:27 am

If this isn't a troll, it's incredibly silly. Just use Ms. and move on

TigerIsBack

Bronze

Post by TigerIsBack » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:10 pm

SFSpartan wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:27 am
Or just stop being weird and say "Hi Sally, thanks for your time earlier today."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:22 pm

TigerIsBack wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:10 pm
SFSpartan wrote:
Or just stop being weird and say "Hi Sally, thanks for your time earlier today."
V8 non-equity partner here – at our firm, we actually prioritize candidates who respect seniority and authority. calling a partner by their first name is absolutely a sign that this law student, who hasn't billed an hour in their life, considers themselves on the same playing field as attorneys at the top of their practice...it won't "break" an otherwise strong candidate, but it can absolutely tiebreak

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:22 pm

V8 non-equity partner here – at our firm, we actually prioritize candidates who respect seniority and authority. calling a partner by their first name is absolutely a sign that this law student, who hasn't billed an hour in their life, considers themselves on the same playing field as attorneys at the top of their practice...it won't "break" an otherwise strong candidate, but it can absolutely tiebreak
good troll

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TigerIsBack wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:
Calling someone by their first name implies that they see themselves as being on an equal playing field? What the? Please out your "v8" firm so otherwise qualified candidates for your firm do not hurt themselves over this extremely questionable "prioritization."

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:44 pm

State marriage records are usually public... just saying.

Or you can hire a PI to figure out their marital status. While you're at it, dig up some unsavory information and blackmail people into an offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
TigerIsBack wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:
Calling someone by their first name implies that they see themselves as being on an equal playing field? What the? Please out your "v8" firm so otherwise qualified candidates for your firm do not hurt themselves over this extremely questionable "prioritization."
Yeah I want to know more about this v8. Turbocharged? Supercharged? NA? What kind of transmission you got it hooked to (and if it's not a manual get out of here you pleb).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:52 pm

jhett wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:44 pm
State marriage records are usually public... just saying.

Or you can hire a PI to figure out their marital status. While you're at it, dig up some unsavory information and blackmail people into an offer.
If you do this you don't even have to go to law school

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TigerIsBack wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:
As a share partner, I expect non share partners like yourself to salute me crisply when they pass by the hallway opposite my office. Extra points for clacking your heels together. We are not equals.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:27 am

As a related question, when do associates get to stop standing at attention and saluting seniors/partners as they walk by in the halls. Is this a natural progression at like Y3 or something, or do I need to wait for each partner to tell me to stand down soldier?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
TigerIsBack wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:
"V8" (lol?) equity partner here - excellent troll. 10/10. But just to be hypothetical about it, if this were serious, I can confidently say that I would do everything I could to ensure someone with this kind of view of the world doesn't get equity.

danishblue

New

Post by danishblue » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:52 am

I like to park near her house and see if husband comes out in bathrobe to get newspaper off the lawn around 6AM.

axiomaticapiary

New

Post by axiomaticapiary » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:49 pm

This is a really silly thread, but one actually viable way of doing this would be to just subtly look at her hand for a wedding ring.

Even in that situation, I just can’t imagine starting any email in a professional context with “Mrs.”

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TigerIsBack wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:
In seriousness, I have had senior partners tell me off for saying "Hi XYZ" rather than just "XYZ," or "Team" as a salutation on emails to clients. It's another one of the pitfalls of thank you notes. If you want to be safe, dispense with the "Hi" and just say "Simon," or "Sally," as a salutation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TigerIsBack wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:
You say this as a joke, but back in the day at a v10 it was made very clear to me by a counsel that I was to refer to certain ancient trusts & estates partners as "mr. xyz" rather than xyz. It does exist in certain circles.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
TigerIsBack wrote:
SFSpartan wrote:
You say this as a joke, but back in the day at a v10 it was made very clear to me by a counsel that I was to refer to certain ancient trusts & estates partners as "mr. xyz" rather than xyz. It does exist in certain circles.
You mean that several years ago, it did exist, and as exception that proves the rule. You had to be told because even when you were young it wasn't typical. Even if such geriatric partners still exist, they are unlikely to be put in contact with applicants.

KEbro93

New

Post by KEbro93 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:34 pm

danishblue wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:52 am
I like to park near her house and see if husband comes out in bathrobe to get newspaper off the lawn around 6AM.
^it seems someone wants to check the marital status for other reasons :twisted:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:20 am

Being from the South and raised in a more traditional household, I was always taught to refer to people in authoritative positions as Mr/Ms [last name] until invited to address them otherwise. But this seems to be a cultural and regional thing, as colleagues from California/New York (and let's be honest, most students in top universities are from the greater New York region or California) are much more informal (some down south might use the term "rude"). Firms seem to track that in my experience, with (especially older) partners at more traditional southern firms presuming formality and partners at firms in New York/Chicago/California presuming informality.

The worst that could happen by being overly formal is being invited to be more informal in your communications. The worst that can happen by being informal is turning off someone that you need on your side in the hiring process. You'll probably be fine addressing interviewers by their first name, but why take a chance?

tl;dr: go with Ms. [last name] until invited otherwise because it's safe and respectful

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”