Just found out a thank you note typo, and a really dumb one Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Just found out a thank you note typo, and a really dumb one

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:33 pm

One of my five thank you notes has "thank your - xxx interview" as the subject line, instead of "thank you". Don't know why I didn't catch this one, don't know why this is the only one out of all five notes. Fucked up bad lol
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Just found out a thank you note typo, and a really dumb one

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:42 pm

usually when i leave a typo in one of these, i reply with 500-work minimum about how sorry i am i disrespected the firm and how i will never do it again i promise and assuring them that this is not reflective of my ability to do high-stakes substantive work early on and asking if there is anything i can do to make up for it

nahhhh im playing...tbh it's not great, but it would take a serious hardo to turn an offer into a rejection for something like this...im sure hardos like that exist, but if you catch the typo and just humbly admit + short apology, it will show u can recognize mistakes which prob evens it out...remember some ppl don't even write thank yous and still get offers

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:33 pm
One of my five thank you notes have "thank your - xxx interview" as the subject line, instead of "thank you". Don't know why I didn't catch this one, don't know why this is the only one out of all five notes. Fucked up bad lol
Don’t think it will break you. And if it goes, nothing you can do now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:53 pm

Do not follow up. It's more likely they didn't see the email or didn't notice the typo, or if they did they already put it out of mind. You emailing again will just make you the typo dude(ette).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:53 pm
Do not follow up. It's more likely they didn't see the email or didn't notice the typo, or if they did they already put it out of mind. You emailing again will just make you the typo dude(ette).
yeah tbh i agree (i am the second poster) it makes sense if u spot within 5 mins but if u bring it up now it looks like u just spend ur time anxiously reading emails you've already sent

one time I called an interviewer "mom" in the follow-up email and while she didn't respond I actually got an offer and a $15k signing bonus from that firm. it is quite common for ppl to get signing bonuses at my HYS because firms don't want to have to recruit medians at VBMD or even worse top 25%'s at GULC...and if you're not T14 then honestly forget about it...sry UCLA. i actually went with a V2 firm that gave me no bonus and hated it so i decided to lateral to a V54 firm and even tho it is less prestigious I am much happier there and I feel like the treat me like a whole person...even tho many people at my HYS don't go there it kinda showed me that all that prestige is not worth it if you are living a miserable life

long story short...don't trip. just remember there are ppl who didn't get into law school, let alone HYS or even Chicago. you're in high demand.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:21 pm

this is one reason why you shouldn't send thank you notes

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
yeah tbh i agree (i am the second poster) it makes sense if u spot within 5 mins but if u bring it up now it looks like u just spend ur time anxiously reading emails you've already sent

one time I called an interviewer "mom" in the follow-up email and while she didn't respond I actually got an offer and a $15k signing bonus from that firm. it is quite common for ppl to get signing bonuses at my HYS because firms don't want to have to recruit medians at VBMD or even worse top 25%'s at GULC...and if you're not T14 then honestly forget about it...sry UCLA. i actually went with a V2 firm that gave me no bonus and hated it so i decided to lateral to a V54 firm and even tho it is less prestigious I am much happier there and I feel like the treat me like a whole person...even tho many people at my HYS don't go there it kinda showed me that all that prestige is not worth it if you are living a miserable life

long story short...don't trip. just remember there are ppl who didn't get into law school, let alone HYS or even Chicago. you're in high demand.
10/10 bait

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:10 am

If someone sent me a note saying "Thank your" there's a 99% chance I wouldn't notice and it wouldn't matter if I did. I probably already submitted my feedback to recruiting by the time I see it.

If someone sent me a follow up to apologize for a "Thank your" typo, I would strongly consider reaching out to recruiting to update my feedback in a negative way. That just shows bad judgment that I can't trust from a potential future junior associate.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:25 am

This is why thank you notes as a 2L are useless. Nobody got no offered for want of a thank you note, so why risk offending the spelling Nazi hardo? FWIW I think this is what CS told us at UVA.

Agree there's nothing to do now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

papermateflair

Bronze

Post by papermateflair » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:14 pm

I do not care about typos like this. I've gotten thank you notes with typos and it doesn't matter. Thank you notes are not in any way required or expected, but if I get one I'm like "aww, nice" and move on, I would never even think to turn that on its head and be all "haHA you thought you were getting a leg up by being nice but NOW I'm going to tank your potential offer over saying "thank your" good luck ever getting a job!" That said, don't draw more attention to it by correcting it, no one needs an apology or anything for a simple typo.

If someone wants to tank your offer over a typo consider yourself lucky, because that would be a nightmare place to work. You will make actual mistakes as an associate and you don't want to work at a place where people react in the harshest way possible over something that literally does not matter.

jdoeman1234567

New

Post by jdoeman1234567 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:33 pm
One of my five thank you notes has "thank your - xxx interview" as the subject line, instead of "thank you". Don't know why I didn't catch this one, don't know why this is the only one out of all five notes. Fucked up bad lol

Honestly, if a candidate was on the fence, I would ding the person for this. Maybe I am just a hardo, but I think thank you notes are completely unnecessary in the biglaw OCI process and I frankly dislike them. I’d also ding a person for a truly over the top thank you note. And this typo is egregious. Anyone reading their email should notice it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:28 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

10/10 bait
May be bait but don’t want to lead poor OP astray - signing bonuses are entirely possible with good stats from UCLA

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:48 pm

I wouldn’t even notice the typo unless the candidate followed up to correct it. Usually I’ve already submitted my interview evaluation by the time I receive any thank you emails anyways. Even if the candidate did follow up to correct the typo, I probably would ignore it unless I was on the fence about recommending an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:04 am

Got an offer in the end fwiw, the guy who received the note with the typo seems to be quite enthusiastic about me

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”