2L deciding between firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L deciding between firms

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:15 pm

I'm interested in a legal specialty which is generally small but more prevalent in tech oriented law firms. I'm striking out at my target techy law firms, but have an offer from a non v100 firm that is reputable in the specialty/market I'm interested in. On the other hand, I have an offer from a white shoe, v10/15 firm in which it would probably be more difficult to gain experience in my interest area.

I'm considering applying to my target firms again next year as a 3L or eventually lateraling. With these things in mind, which firm would it make sense to go with for my 2L summer?

Anonymous User

Re: 2L deciding between firms

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:29 pm

IMO you have to really think about what is drawing you to this particular practice area and how confident you are that you couldn't get the same/more fulfillment from other types of work. unless you have ruled out other practice areas, I do think taking a more generalist approach early-on at a more prestigious firm could make sense. that way, you have plenty of flexibility to explore new things or, after a few years, exit/lateral to a smaller firm where you can specialize in that small practice area, given you harness a skillset at the v15 that translates well to that type of work.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”