NYC vs. LA BL Culture Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NYC vs. LA BL Culture

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:51 pm

johndooley wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:37 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:31 pm
johndooley wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:25 pm
temp69420 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:06 am
I was going to write that Dooley does not add value and I find it tiring to scroll past his compilation of copy-paste comments, then I remembered that TLS allows me to block his comments.
If you have both JD and RIL blocked, this thread looks like a long blank page with people occasionally noting how far it has been derailed.
Thank you, so, so much, for this protip. The world is a brighter place now that I've blocked that hack of a human.
Yea, RIL is pretty annoying.
It's pretty funny that this joke only makes sense if Dooley affirmatively knows he's a shit human, and there's no way I could have been referring to RIL.
I don't know how being irksome to indebted 30-somethings slaving away 2000+ billables a year equates to being a "shit human." I am rich, law-abiding, and have a family. A lawyer who is such a wuss he has to use the anonymous feature to hide his pseudonym criticizing another pseudonym is absolutely pathetic.
The issue is that you (1) derail threads with tangents that are not relevant; (2) comment extensively on topics for which you have little or no experience, acting as though you are an authority; and (3) won’t shut the fuck up and post a million comments that bloat said thread.

If this was a thread actually about lawyers vs bankers, and you had any experience as either a banker or transactional lawyer, and you posted a reasonable volume of comments, nobody would hate you even if the content was the same.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:55 pm

johndooley wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
johndooley wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
temp69420 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I was going to write that Dooley does not add value and I find it tiring to scroll past his compilation of copy-paste comments, then I remembered that TLS allows me to block his comments.
If you have both JD and RIL blocked, this thread looks like a long blank page with people occasionally noting how far it has been derailed.
Thank you, so, so much, for this protip. The world is a brighter place now that I've blocked that hack of a human.
It's pretty funny that this joke only makes sense if Dooley affirmatively knows he's a shit human, and there's no way I could have been referring to RIL.
I don't know how being irksome to indebted 30-somethings slaving away 2000+ billables a year equates to being a "shit human." I am rich, law-abiding, and have a family. A lawyer who is such a wuss he has to use the anonymous feature to hide his pseudonym criticizing another pseudonym is absolutely pathetic.
Why don't you take your rich, law-abiding, family-bearing self to a board that isn't primarily comprised of indebted 30-year olds billing 2000+ a year? Oh yeah, that's because you have no life.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:03 pm

johndooley wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:44 pm
You forgot to sign

- "'Man' (Questionable) Whose Income is Under Seven Figures"
I'm on pace to retire around 40 years old—at a standard of living which you cannot fathom down in your swamp—but go off lol

Biglawyers make plenty of money, even in NYC. It's the single dumbest thing to criticize about this career. I'm sorry you have so little going on in your life that you need to milk "slightly lower marginal tax rate" for comfort.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:55 pm
johndooley wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
johndooley wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
temp69420 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Why don't you take your rich, law-abiding, family-bearing self to a board that isn't primarily comprised of indebted 30-year olds billing 2000+ a year? Oh yeah, that's because you have no life.
Sadly, the man cannot be saved (at least not by TLS posters).

To write one-off trollish posts during times of anxiety or irritation is one thing, but his weeks of compulsive resentment posting indicate some type of issue that cannot be addressed with reasoned arguments.

TLS, at its best, allows us to share helpful nuggets of info outside of our little circles. However, it can never be a therapist's couch. We don't have the expertise to deal with these kinds of issues and Dooley won't feel any better having vented.

The only thing we can do is click on our usernames, user control panel, friends and foes tab, and add foe to block.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:42 pm

Looks like OP already made their decision, but will try to get this thread back on track.

With the obvious qualifier that each firm will yield a different experience, as a whole, LA requires less face time. There's an understanding that people (even juniors) have family's, and I don't think there's a culture of everyone "going out" together after work. My sense is that the excesses of big law (drug/alcohol abuse, work addiction, affairs etc.) is probably generally overstated, but is much more applicable to NY. One caveat - don't go to an LA outpost because then you'll end up having to get on some early morning meetings but still be online your normal hours.

Your experience will also vary if your office is in Downtown vs the Westside (Century City, Santa Monica, etc.) Try for the latter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:05 pm

Yep, just another day on my favorite website, Top-Law-Schools.com

nealric

Post by nealric » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:55 pm
johndooley wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
johndooley wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
temp69420 wrote:

Sadly, the man cannot be saved (at least not by TLS posters).

To write one-off trollish posts during times of anxiety or irritation is one thing, but his weeks of compulsive resentment posting indicate some type of issue that cannot be addressed with reasoned arguments.

TLS, at its best, allows us to share helpful nuggets of info outside of our little circles. However, it can never be a therapist's couch. We don't have the expertise to deal with these kinds of issues and Dooley won't feel any better having vented.

The only thing we can do is click on our usernames, user control panel, friends and foes tab, and add foe to block.
Just FYI- the poster in question has been banned.

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:34 pm

probably for the best but I did find him entertaining

KEbro93

New

Post by KEbro93 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:10 pm

LBJ's Hair wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:34 pm
John Dooley/JohnnyBGoode92 here. Glad I got the opportunity to catch up with some of you several years after Cooley's second most prestigious alum was booted from the forum. Some of the old-timers are still here, although most are missed. TLS may have a fraction of the traffic it used to but some of you are still down to play ball. Taking questions if the mods will allow it for a week. Cheers.

- Your favorite poster

Some updates on the Jacksonville legal scene:
http://outsidethelawschoolscam.blogspot ... oilet.html

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Baron7

New

Post by Baron7 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:16 pm

Please leave this forum and don’t come back.

KEbro93

New

Post by KEbro93 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:19 pm

Baron7 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:16 pm
Please leave this forum and don’t come back.
I’ll be leaving soon. Was here long before you. About five years now.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:26 pm

KEbro93 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:10 pm
LBJ's Hair wrote:
John Dooley/JohnnyBGoode92 here. Glad I got the opportunity to catch up with some of you several years after Cooley's second most prestigious alum was booted from the forum. Some of the old-timers are still here, although most are missed. TLS may have a fraction of the traffic it used to but some of you are still down to play ball. Taking questions if the mods will allow it for a week. Cheers.

- Your favorite poster

So were you born in 1992, 1993, or earlier? I thought the character “John Dooley” was in at least his mid 30s and well-established in the Orlando medmal scene. You also claim to have gone to law school in Jacksonville, where Cooley has no campus. What is the purpose of repeatedly coming here and LARPing as various fictitious characters who always hate biglawyers and T14 grads?

KEbro93

New

Post by KEbro93 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:58 pm

Res Ipsa Loquitter wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:26 pm
KEbro93 wrote:
LBJ's Hair wrote:

- Your favorite poster

So were you born in 1992, 1993, or earlier? I thought the character “John Dooley” was in at least his mid 30s and well-established in the Orlando medmal scene. You also claim to have gone to law school in Jacksonville, where Cooley has no campus. What is the purpose of repeatedly coming here and LARPing as various fictitious characters who always hate biglawyers and T14 grads?
It’s pretty amusing during downtime at work and low time commitment. Getting a ride is entertaining although you’ll get more input on Reddit

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thisismytlsuername

Bronze

Post by thisismytlsuername » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:18 am

KEbro93 wrote:
LBJ's Hair wrote:

- Your favorite poster

He's definitely a bored NYC biglaw lawyer. He lost the plot when he started saying "models and bottles".

KEbro93

New

Post by KEbro93 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:21 am

thisismytlsuername wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:18 am
KEbro93 wrote:
LBJ's Hair wrote:

- Your favorite poster

He's definitely a bored NYC biglaw lawyer. He lost the plot when he started saying "models and bottles".
I am pretty bored. Second year associate in NY.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”