Departing Partners Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Departing Partners

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:21 pm
Do most associates when given this opportunity make this jump?
I don't know how anyone would ever quantify this. Anecdotally I've said no twice (once to a defection to Latham, another to a defection to a well regarded boutique). I didn't leave because I have a good reputation at my firm (hence why they wanted me to come with them), and didn't want to risk having to build that again elsewhere.
How long after they left were you approached by those partners?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:00 pm

Bump

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:41 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:21 pm
Do most associates when given this opportunity make this jump?
I don't know how anyone would ever quantify this. Anecdotally I've said no twice (once to a defection to Latham, another to a defection to a well regarded boutique). I didn't leave because I have a good reputation at my firm (hence why they wanted me to come with them), and didn't want to risk having to build that again elsewhere.
How long after they left were you approached by those partners?
It depends. I've seen people be asked before the partner leaves or after. I think sometimes partners sign something that says they won't actively try to poach associates for X period.

That being said, if you have a good enough relationship with a departing partner such that you think this is a real possibility, you should just ask them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:17 pm

When this happened in my group, it was assumed that basically all of the group's work would go with the partners, so you either agree to go to the new firm, or stay and probably get laid off. The firm we were at didn't even connect with us to ask if we wanted to stay.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:17 pm
When this happened in my group, it was assumed that basically all of the group's work would go with the partners, so you either agree to go to the new firm, or stay and probably get laid off. The firm we were at didn't even connect with us to ask if we wanted to stay.
Yeah, had this happen to a couple friends. One friend didn't follow his group when they left and his work dried up and was shown the door 6 months later. Another friend who didn't necessarily need to follow (cause they had other work), but did follow and is now guaranteed to make partner this year whereas they would likely not have at their old firm. Not saying it is always the right answer, but more often than not it probably is good to follow the partners (especially if they are responsible for most of your work).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:03 pm

Deleted

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”