What's with all the new SF offices? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What's with all the new SF offices?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:25 am

Deb, Paul Weiss, Wilmer, Cleary, and I'm sure several other firms have opened up offices in SF since 2019. What's driving this? Seems like they're mostly lit-focused and mostly catering to mature tech clients, but why now? Also, does anyone have vibes on these offices--I've heard chatter about Deb being a growth center and PW has some strong lit talent, but I don't know much more about them.

SamuelDanforth

Bronze

Re: What's with all the new SF offices?

Post by SamuelDanforth » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:10 am

Why did John Dillinger rob banks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:38 am

Interviewed with a firm that opened an SF office in the past two years, the associate there said theres a ton of regulatory and advisory work coming in. They said the SF office was the busiest one for 2021

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:13 pm

at one of the new sf offices and happy to answer any questions. don't want to be specific about which one considering we have barely any attorneys in our office

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:23 pm

That’s not that many firms. I think 20-30 firms have opened Boston offices since 2017 or so. Firms probably just want to expand their tech reach in SF.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:23 pm
That’s not that many firms. I think 20-30 firms have opened Boston offices since 2017 or so. Firms probably just want to expand their tech reach in SF.
I think the point is more so that the timing is weird. The tech industry isn't new, and the Bay Area has been a major legal market for decades, so why now? I don't know much about Boston's legal market, but the situation there seems to be more easily traceable with growing industry.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:55 pm

I think in general firms have been getting used to multiple satellite offices scattered around the country. It's practical, and with increased remote/hybrid work, more feasible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:48 am

May have something to do with the size and frequency of tech acquisitions in recent years, think Slack, One Medical, Activision and countless smaller acquisitions. Big techs have been on a buying spree for a few years now but it takes a while for firms to catch up with opening new offices, much like firms opening SF/SV offices around 2000.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:07 pm

See all those explanations would make sense if we were talking about these offices being primarily transactional, but they're really not. Almost all of them are litigation-focused and specifically internal investigations-focused (see, e.g. Jenner). Is SF just the new frontier for high-stakes litigation and white collar work?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:07 pm
See all those explanations would make sense if we were talking about these offices being primarily transactional, but they're really not. Almost all of them are litigation-focused and specifically internal investigations-focused (see, e.g. Jenner). Is SF just the new frontier for high-stakes litigation and white collar work?
Huh interesting. I don't have SF knowledge but my impression (based on vibes and seeing a handful of new offices) is that it's easier to open a new office with litigation folks than with transactional. And the after it's established they tent to staff up transactional.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”