Milbank or Sidley Austin NY Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Milbank or Sidley Austin NY?

Milbank
61%
Sidley Austin
39%

Total votes: 69

Anonymous User

Re: Milbank or Sidley Austin NY

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:17 am

I’d go with milbank. Sidney would also be a fine option though.

OfThriceandTen

Bronze

Post by OfThriceandTen » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:33 pm

Everything here says Milbank. If you want to move to a different city you can do that with a different firm unless you think it’s really realistic that you’ll end up in Chicago within ~2 years of starting out (in which case Sidley might have a slight edge). Also if you’re going to be dead set on going to a firm with a smaller practice, it should be in the same office you’ll be in. Since those two things should be nominal factors, the better vibes you got at Milbank are more than enough to pick them here.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:02 pm

You should probably take Milbank but I don’t fully agree with the “just switch firms when you move” crowd. Interviewing, clearing conflicts, and learning how a new firm works are all a major pain in the butt compared to switching offices.

OfThriceandTen

Bronze

Post by OfThriceandTen » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:13 pm

Res Ipsa Loquitter wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:02 pm
You should probably take Milbank but I don’t fully agree with the “just switch firms when you move” crowd. Interviewing, clearing conflicts, and learning how a new firm works are all a major pain in the butt compared to switching offices.
My point is less so that it’s a breeze to switch firms and moreso that if you’re looking to move to a different city you’re going to be weighing a lot of different factors that are impossible to tell as a law student. By then you’ll likely be focused in a product area or maybe two and the firm who is good, or who is growing, in that particular area by the time you’re ready to make the switch isn’t easy to predict now. That’s why I carved out chicago from the list— Sidley is clearly a powerhouse in a number of different groups in chicago so if that’s the city OP wants geographic flexibility for it makes sense as they’re likely to find that with Sidley. But if they wanted to move to San Francisco for instance there may be stronger firms in whatever field they have been pursuing and the time zones may make it difficult for them to continue to work with their NY team so it just doesn’t seem like a factor they should be weighing all that heavily.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:42 pm

What are you interested in besides healthcare?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:55 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:42 pm
What are you interested in besides healthcare?
Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:20 pm

I know this is only one anecdote but I know of someone who was so unhappy at Milbank NY (in litigation) that he quit after a few years with no other job lined up. He now works at a plaintiffs' firm and is much happier.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:57 am

OfThriceandTen wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:13 pm
Res Ipsa Loquitter wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:02 pm
so if that’s the city OP wants geographic flexibility for it makes sense as they’re likely to find that with Sidley.
True

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”