NY Rent? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: NY Rent?

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:04 pm

johndooley wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:02 pm
The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:59 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:43 pm
Also, I'd much rather pay $20/week to have someone do my laundry for me. I haven't folded an article of clothing in a decade.
This. No in-building machine is actually a superpower because it's social cover to rely exclusively on laundry services.

Dishwasher less fun to compromise on although I've done it and it's really not so bad (and I like to cook).
For less rent in a newer building in a nicer neighborhood, you could have a dishwasher in Chicago. There is plenty of "big law" there
I've lived in both cities for 3+ years. I like Chicago. But the walkability and access to amenities (like wash-and-fold laundromats) in NYC is pretty decent compensation for the lifestyle sacrifices IMO.

Dr Tobias Funke

New

Post by Dr Tobias Funke » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:15 pm

johndooley wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
johndooley wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:58 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:28 am
people have different desires john. It's great that you have a big house in a lower cost of living area or whatever, but some people like the excitement of the city and don't mind doing laundry.
You can have all the urban excitement you can ask for AND EVEN DO LAUNDRY in Chicago or D.C. (and some hipper parts of Los Angeles) with a lower cost and less headache. Here is a good location, doorman, sizable 1BR with plenty of amenities: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/233- ... 6755_zpid/

Here is a good location with architectural features people in the Village all want (and this probably has working plumbing): https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1809 ... 6995_zpid/

You see, these 20 and 30-somethings flocking to NYC are little more than "marks." They are marks for the housing scam, for the 60-80 hour a work week scam (unless you are in some crazy competitive finance position or neurosurgery resident where millions may very well come your way), for the trendy t-shirt scam that is made in Vietnam. They are fed Seinfeld and How I Met Your Mother and Friends and told you have to move to NYC and student debt is no biggie if you go to a T-14 and enter corporate law.
That Chicago apartment is revolting. I've lived in Manhattan for 10 years and never paid more than $3200/month in rent, and all of my apartments have been nicer than that (with the possible exception of my very first apartment which was a $1500 one bedroom), and I'm still a multi-millionaire from biglaw. I'm such a mark.

Also, I'd much rather pay $20/week to have someone do my laundry for me. I haven't folded an article of clothing in a decade.
Yea, dude, no debate on the laundry point........

Yes, granite countertops are not prestigious and the inside is dated stylistically, if well-maintained. The exterior of the building is pleasant and in the equivalent of the more expensive parts of the Upper East Side. "Revolting" is a stretch. This building does not have rodent or bed bug or cockroach infestations, the plumbing will always work. Yes, people can live in Manhattan for under $3200 a month, you are either taking advantage of rent control or have roommates or have a studio/1BR in a dangerous neighborhood. You certainly do not have a 1BR in a decent building in the West Village or the UES west of 5th.

"Multi-millionaire" 2 million is not impressive. Do you even own your own personal residence?

You are a mark. Go "turn over" some documents for your firm's client tonight.
I've never lived in a building with rodent, bed bug, or cockroach infestations, and I've never had my plumbing not work (wtf?). I've never lived in a rent controlled apartment, and I've lived alone the majority of my time here. In fact, the place I lived in the longest was a 1BR in the west village that varied between $2800-$3200 for the 4 years I lived there.

My millions are liquid, not tied up in highly leveraged real estate like yours. Although I do own a vacation home (which also I rent out to cover the expenses), I prefer to rent my primary residence so I don't have to worry about maintenance and I can move if I want to experience a new neighborhood.

I'm also not in biglaw anymore -- I have a 40-50 hr/week in house job now. Is it hard to be wrong so often?

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:22 pm

Dr Tobias Funke wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:15 pm
johndooley wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
johndooley wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:58 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:28 am
people have different desires john. It's great that you have a big house in a lower cost of living area or whatever, but some people like the excitement of the city and don't mind doing laundry.
You can have all the urban excitement you can ask for AND EVEN DO LAUNDRY in Chicago or D.C. (and some hipper parts of Los Angeles) with a lower cost and less headache. Here is a good location, doorman, sizable 1BR with plenty of amenities: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/233- ... 6755_zpid/

Here is a good location with architectural features people in the Village all want (and this probably has working plumbing): https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1809 ... 6995_zpid/

You see, these 20 and 30-somethings flocking to NYC are little more than "marks." They are marks for the housing scam, for the 60-80 hour a work week scam (unless you are in some crazy competitive finance position or neurosurgery resident where millions may very well come your way), for the trendy t-shirt scam that is made in Vietnam. They are fed Seinfeld and How I Met Your Mother and Friends and told you have to move to NYC and student debt is no biggie if you go to a T-14 and enter corporate law.
That Chicago apartment is revolting. I've lived in Manhattan for 10 years and never paid more than $3200/month in rent, and all of my apartments have been nicer than that (with the possible exception of my very first apartment which was a $1500 one bedroom), and I'm still a multi-millionaire from biglaw. I'm such a mark.

Yea, dude, no debate on the laundry point........

Yes, granite countertops are not prestigious and the inside is dated stylistically, if well-maintained. The exterior of the building is pleasant and in the equivalent of the more expensive parts of the Upper East Side. "Revolting" is a stretch. This building does not have rodent or bed bug or cockroach infestations, the plumbing will always work. Yes, people can live in Manhattan for under $3200 a month, you are either taking advantage of rent control or have roommates or have a studio/1BR in a dangerous neighborhood. You certainly do not have a 1BR in a decent building in the West Village or the UES west of 5th.

"Multi-millionaire" 2 million is not impressive. Do you even own your own personal residence?

You are a mark. Go "turn over" some documents for your firm's client tonight.
I've never lived in a building with rodent, bed bug, or cockroach infestations, and I've never had my plumbing not work (wtf?). I've never lived in a rent controlled apartment, and I've lived alone the majority of my time here. In fact, the place I lived in the longest was a 1BR in the west village that varied between $2800-$3200 for the 4 years I lived there.

My millions are liquid, not tied up in highly leveraged real estate like yours. Although I do own a vacation home (which also I rent out to cover the expenses), I prefer to rent my primary residence so I don't have to worry about maintenance and I can move if I want to experience a new neighborhood.

I'm also not in biglaw anymore -- I have a 40-50 hr/week in house job now. Is it hard to be wrong so often?
Says the man with a very "questionable" username. I hope you do not have a similar marriage to your namesake.

Who said mine was highly leveraged? Much of my portfolio is owned outright, please reread my comments. To my recollection, I have not commented on how much of my house is mortgaged and how large my downpayment was. I also stated that I have a sizable investment in ETFs and a 529 (which can be liquidated with penalties), that is "liquid."

Got it with the millions, so you have two. Congratulations, if you are telling the truth. Given how common infestation of pests is in Manhattan (even in "nice" buildings), you are likely lying about your rental and career history. Sort of like how you and your namesake lie to your spouse about your......yea.....

axiomaticapiary

New

Post by axiomaticapiary » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:25 pm

This thread has been successfully Dooled. You’re welcome, everyone.

Any Kirkland associates want to weigh in?

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:28 pm

Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:04 pm
johndooley wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:02 pm
Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:59 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
This. No in-building machine is actually a superpower because it's social cover to rely exclusively on laundry services.

Dishwasher less fun to compromise on although I've done it and it's really not so bad (and I like to cook).
For less rent in a newer building in a nicer neighborhood, you could have a dishwasher in Chicago. There is plenty of "big law" there
I've lived in both cities for 3+ years. I like Chicago. But the walkability and access to amenities (like wash-and-fold laundromats) in NYC is pretty decent compensation for the lifestyle sacrifices IMO.
Depends on your income. The more money you have the more tolerable Manhattan's downsides are. Without an 8-figure net worth it is very difficult to have a family there, and the suburbs around NYC suck compared to other big cities.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:31 pm

axiomaticapiary wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:25 pm
This thread has been successfully Dooled. You’re welcome, everyone.

Any Kirkland associates want to weigh in?
Thanks for the invite. A quick look at townhouses in Lincoln Park v. anything you get for $3-4 million in Manhattan makes Kirkland an attractive firm. Despite the stories of Ch-Iraq, that is contained to the south and west sides. Lincoln Park and the north side in general are cleaner and safer than say SoHo or TriBeCa, probably UES too. Definitely more than WeHo or Venice Beach. But according to some posters you cannot walk to easily to a wash and fold laundry (lol).

Drewbdu

New

Post by Drewbdu » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:20 pm

This thread is a perfect demonstration why most non-lawyers hate lawyers. Get a grip. People will live where they want to.

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:38 pm

Drewbdu wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:20 pm
This thread is a perfect demonstration why most non-lawyers hate lawyers. Get a grip. People will live where they want to.
Ehh it is one reason but not the main one. Most lawyers do not provide positive value. Working on a transaction requiring a law firm? That is a cost of doing business. Getting out of a DUI or civil litigation defense? That is a cost. You see, my clients tend to really like me. I get them money. Even though the circumstances leading to the settlements/awards are grisly and unpleasant, I am not identified with those circumstances. Rather, I put them in the financial position they were in before the medical malpractice and then some. So maybe what I am saying is most non-lawyers hate you and other posters here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:50 pm

johndooley wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:38 pm
Drewbdu wrote:
Ehh it is one reason but not the main one. Most lawyers do not provide positive value. Working on a transaction requiring a law firm? That is a cost of doing business. Getting out of a DUI or civil litigation defense? That is a cost. You see, my clients tend to really like me. I get them money. Even though the circumstances leading to the settlements/awards are grisly and unpleasant, I am not identified with those circumstances. Rather, I put them in the financial position they were in before the medical malpractice and then some. So maybe what I am saying is most non-lawyers hate you and other posters here.
Good for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:50 pm
johndooley wrote:
Drewbdu wrote:
Good for you.
What is good for me is incidental. I care about my clients, many of which suffered needless and preventable injury which will follow them to the grave. I do take a lot of pride and fulfillment in helping them piece back together what they can. This care has largely helped me in my career, although it has hurt on a couple occasions.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:30 pm

johndooley wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
johndooley wrote:
Drewbdu wrote:
Good for you.
What is good for me is incidental. I care about my clients, many of which suffered needless and preventable injury which will follow them to the grave. I do take a lot of pride and fulfillment in helping them piece back together what they can. This care has largely helped me in my career, although it has hurt on a couple occasions.
cool story bro

how much do you spend on rent in NYC?

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:34 pm

Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:30 pm
johndooley wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:10 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
johndooley wrote:
Drewbdu wrote:
Good for you.
cool story bro

You should read the thread and my prior comments. I do not spend a penny on NYC rent. My wife wants to purchase an apartment in Manhattan but I am firmly against it. For the monthly HOA/maintenance fees we can easily go once a month in a pretty nice hotel. We can go to all of the same meals, shows, and "cultural" events you do but without the same hassles. If we end up purchasing a second personal residence it would likely be a ski condo or a pied-a-terre to escape FL summers.

Dr Tobias Funke

New

Post by Dr Tobias Funke » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:36 pm

Dooley, given how much time you spend on this website I'm going to need some video evidence of your claims of a mid-seven figure net worth before I believe anything else you say.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:39 pm

Dr Tobias Funke wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:36 pm
Dooley, given how much time you spend on this website I'm going to need some video evidence of your claims of a mid-seven figure net worth before I believe anything else you say.
People with free time tend to be wealthy or broke. Do you want some MTV Cribs type video or what? Seems like an odd request.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:47 pm

johndooley wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:34 pm
You should read the thread and my prior comments. I do not spend a penny on NYC rent. My wife wants to purchase an apartment in Manhattan but I am firmly against it. For the monthly HOA/maintenance fees we can easily go once a month in a pretty nice hotel. We can go to all of the same meals, shows, and "cultural" events you do but without the same hassles. If we end up purchasing a second personal residence it would likely be a ski condo or a pied-a-terre to escape FL summers.
I am sorry to hear your wife is unsatisfied

Dr Tobias Funke

New

Post by Dr Tobias Funke » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:54 pm

johndooley wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:39 pm
Dr Tobias Funke wrote:
People with free time tend to be wealthy or broke. Do you want some MTV Cribs type video or what? Seems like an odd request.
Let's follow the r/FATfire requirements -- a video of you logging into accounts demonstrating your claimed net worth where the browser address bar is visible the whole time.

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:58 pm

Dr Tobias Funke wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:54 pm
johndooley wrote:
Dr Tobias Funke wrote:
Let's follow the r/FATfire requirements -- a video of you logging into accounts demonstrating your claimed net worth where the browser address bar is visible the whole time.
Lol. Don't be creepy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:59 pm

Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:47 pm
johndooley wrote:
I am sorry to hear your wife is unsatisfied
It is not a major point of contention. A Colorado mountain town or Tahoe is better for family vacations anyway.

Dr Tobias Funke

New

Post by Dr Tobias Funke » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:59 pm

johndooley wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:58 pm
Dr Tobias Funke wrote:
johndooley wrote:
Dr Tobias Funke wrote:
Lol. Don't be creepy.
Glad to know I can ignore anything you say going forward.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:04 pm

Your anti-New York fervor is impressive. I strongly dislike Florida but have not spent hours posting about what a waste of space much of that state is. Keep on doing the Lord's work!

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:09 pm

Dr Tobias Funke wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:59 pm
johndooley wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:58 pm
Dr Tobias Funke wrote:
johndooley wrote:
Dr Tobias Funke wrote:
Lol. Don't be creepy.
Glad to know I can ignore anything you say going forward.
This is the name you chose on your own volition and want to be identified with: https://wifflegif.com/gifs/282900-arres ... -funke-gif

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:15 pm

bretby wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:04 pm
Your anti-New York fervor is impressive. I strongly dislike Florida but have not spent hours posting about what a waste of space much of that state is. Keep on doing the Lord's work!
I am anti-New York given how expensive it is. You also pay a fortune to live in Los Angeles or San Diego but at least the weather is warm, it does not smell of urine half the time, and you can more easily avoid the undesirable parts. Golf, tennis, hiking, and decent skiing are also closer (VT/upstate NY do not count as "decent"). I was already warned once for commenting on SEC "dating", but let's just say layering up helps a lot of people in the looks department after a "hearty" winter.

What is amusing about being anti-NYC v. anti-FL is the difference in reaction you receive. New Yorkers need external validation of "having made it" in the Big Apple to justify the inconveniences they suffer hourly. Floridians are more secure in their place.

Dr Tobias Funke

New

Post by Dr Tobias Funke » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:43 pm

johndooley wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:15 pm
bretby wrote:
I am anti-New York given how expensive it is. You also pay a fortune to live in Los Angeles or San Diego but at least the weather is warm, it does not smell of urine half the time, and you can more easily avoid the undesirable parts. Golf, tennis, hiking, and decent skiing are also closer (VT/upstate NY do not count as "decent"). I was already warned once for commenting on SEC "dating", but let's just say layering up helps a lot of people in the looks department after a "hearty" winter.

What is amusing about being anti-NYC v. anti-FL is the difference in reaction you receive. New Yorkers need external validation of "having made it" in the Big Apple to justify the inconveniences they suffer hourly. Floridians are more secure in their place.
Floridians are more secure, says the guy who spends hours arguing with strangers about why Florida is the best.

johndooley

Bronze

Post by johndooley » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:50 pm

Dr Tobias Funke wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:43 pm
johndooley wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:15 pm
bretby wrote:

Floridians are more secure, says the guy who spends hours arguing with strangers about why Florida is the best.
I came here to make a hire. I pitched the firm and the city, receiving two resumes in the process. As one other poster wrote on one of the Orlando threads, the question depends on income and whether one is what he calls the "NYC elite". With a 20 million net worth and time to enjoy it, NYC makes sense to live an adult life and career. Short of that, you are just a white collar peon who butters up the rich who genuinely get to enjoy NYC without the downsides. Orlando, on the other hand, has a much lower threshold to appreciate what it has to offer. Almost all people on TLS are in the latter camp.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:13 pm

johndooley wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:30 pm

cool story bro

Pretty sure the point was that in a thread where the OP was asking what they should realistically pay for rent in NYC, arguing that NYC is too expensive and that people who live there are marks isn’t exactly responsive or productive.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”