Gibson DC v. Covington DC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Gibson or Cov

Gibson DC
51%
Covington DC
49%

Total votes: 83

Anonymous User

Gibson DC v. Covington DC

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:13 pm

Which would you choose and why?

Anonymous User

Re: Gibson DC v. Covington DC

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:31 pm

Covington. Very subjective, just because of the people and the vibe.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:34 pm

depends entirely on what you want to do - what are your goals?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:30 pm

If I recall, Gibson DC has a reputation for being very conservative politically wise, so that would be something to keep in mind for sure if you're into or not into that

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:30 pm
If I recall, Gibson DC has a reputation for being very conservative politically wise, so that would be something to keep in mind for sure if you're into or not into that
Gibson DC has more conservatives than most biglaw firms, but it certainly isn’t Consovoy or anything

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:18 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:30 pm
Gibson DC has more conservatives than most biglaw firms, but it certainly isn’t Consovoy or anything
The top DC firms will generally have politics that are opposite of whichever party is in power. Right now, they’re full of ex-Trump administration people (not just big names, but also the mid level and low level people who had taken the chance to work for a Republican admin), and many of their top Democrats left to join Biden.

If a Republican wins next time, they will drain DC BigLaw of conservative talent to staff up the new administration, and all of the recently-unemployed Biden people will fill DC BigLaw again.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:49 pm

Entirely dependent on what you want to do. Regulatory? Covington. Appellate? Gibson. But one could argue for the opposite in each of those areas for specific circumstances.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:13 am

Not OP, but I’m facing a similar decision.

I have to choose between Gibson LA v. Covington DC. In terms of where I want to practice (LA vs DC) I am split halfway down the middle between the two, and am generally interested in white collar and gov.

Does anyone have insight between the cultural differences between the two offices? Gibson felt a little more white shoe to me, but LA culture overall is more relaxed than DC correct? Also, any meaningful difference in exit ops from the two if I want to go to DOJ/AUSA after a couple years?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:27 am

Also thinking about Covington DC. I am solely interested in litigation. How is the work/life balance, QoL?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:55 am

Covington DC is a pretty massive office and has a large and more impersonal summer / associate program that can feel like a large NY firm. Obviously there’s a lot of fantastic regulatory and investigations work at Cov, but there’s a lot of competition for the elite lit work, especially appellate where covington has a pretty poor and limited practice. It’s generally a pretty chill place and easy to coast, but most of the partners don’t care much about the juniors and competition for good work can be tough. It obviously has a great rep, and a gorgeous office.

Gibson is a bit of a sweatshop in dc terms. Lots of good work, and tons of elite lit work, including in appellate, even for folks without a scotus type clerkship. It has a more buttoned up culture overall, but the firm has moved leftward in the last few years. It is a smaller office though, and I understand that it’s easier to get known / know folks around the office. The other Gibson offices are quite different — more liberal, more chill, different work mixes, etc. LA office is fantastic from what I’ve heard.

I think it should probably come down to the work you want to do. If it’s Reg, then go to covington. If it’s lit proper I’d go to Gibson.

I think

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:13 am
Not OP, but I’m facing a similar decision.

I have to choose between Gibson LA v. Covington DC. In terms of where I want to practice (LA vs DC) I am split halfway down the middle between the two, and am generally interested in white collar and gov.

Does anyone have insight between the cultural differences between the two offices? Gibson felt a little more white shoe to me, but LA culture overall is more relaxed than DC correct? Also, any meaningful difference in exit ops from the two if I want to go to DOJ/AUSA after a couple years?
If you have any interest in regulatory/gov't facing work (not white collar) then Cov DC is the easy choice here. Otherwise, the primary difference is going to be on market and where you want to live. GDC LA has a strong white collar practice, as does Cov DC.

LA is very relaxed when compared to DC. Cov DC is going to be much more suit-and-tie than GDC LA, especially post pandemic. I wouldn't characterize it as "white shoe" at all, honestly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”