Went in house a few months ago - when do you start to feel busy? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Went in house a few months ago - when do you start to feel busy?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:13 pm

Realizing all responses will be anecdotal, curious for those who went in house as to when you started to feel busy? I’m corporate, and while on a few M&A matters my days are pretty slow - currently going to the gym, right now because I have nothing going on. Was at a law firm for 6 years so I’m using that as a baseline (averaged around 2200hrs per year). I feel like I barely work and just not sure if it’s a lack of work or ramping up still. Been there for 2 months and most days I’m relaxing by 3p.

Anonymous User

Re: Went in house a few months ago - when do you start to feel busy?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:31 pm

I had a similar experience in-house. Company side just moves at a different pace. You will have busy times like biglaw, but it will be a couple times a year as opposed to the norm (and even then, everyone else is not moving as fast so it never felt terrible). You have to realize that to most people, 4-6 actual working hours a day feels like a full day.

Anonymous User

Re: Went in house a few months ago - when do you start to feel busy?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:31 pm
I had a similar experience in-house. Company side just moves at a different pace. You will have busy times like biglaw, but it will be a couple times a year as opposed to the norm (and even then, everyone else is not moving as fast so it never felt terrible). You have to realize that to most people, 4-6 actual working hours a day feels like a full day.
Agree with this. If you mingle with normal ppl, they bitch about 9-6. To me 9-6 after biglaw was a dream come true. Felt like I was always on vacation.

Also agree, during my stint inhouse, being slow was the norm other than a few extraordinary days. But I also learned that what other ppl consider "working" during the 9-6 is chatting with co-workers, playing nintendo for an hour after the hour long lunch break, etc.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”