Firm Grade Sensitivity for Cornell Law School Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm Grade Sensitivity for Cornell Law School

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:07 pm

Hey guys - would love to get some input.

I'm slightly above median at Cornell and our AJF schedules just came out. For some reason, most of the interviews I got ended up being at firms that have higher medians than mine - I didn't get most of my "safeties" (only got around 10 interviews despite bidding only NYC in lottery). I do plan on picking up left over slots for each day.

Are firms like White and Case, STB, Debevoise, Weil, and Millbank super grade sensitive for Cornell. Also, how soon should I reach out to firms and ask for a screener given that I struck out with OCI lottery?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Firm Grade Sensitivity for Cornell Law School

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:07 pm

I'm slightly above median at Cornell and our AJF schedules just came out. For some reason, most of the interviews I got ended up being at firms that have higher medians than mine - I didn't get most of my "safeties" (only got around 10 interviews despite bidding only NYC in lottery). I do plan on picking up left over slots for each day.

Are firms like White and Case, STB, Debevoise, Weil, and Millbank super grade sensitive for Cornell. Also, how soon should I reach out to firms and ask for a screener given that I struck out with OCI lottery?

Thanks!
Some people on TLS have crazy opinions for these types of questions. Might be better to search for Cornell associates on firm websites and see what proportion have latin honors or equivalent. You'd want to note which associates are in lit v. corp. It'll likely take 30 min to go through the five firms you have listed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:19 pm

Not from Cornell, but doesn't career services track interviews/CBs/offers by GPA band? You mention median GPAs, so can't you judge based on that?

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:33 pm

In today’s pretty soft market, I’d hammer every single one of those screeners and I’d email for additional interviews tonight. Be friendly and easygoing in interviews, rather than intense/serious, but be aggressive about process

Any v20 will be a reach at Cornell median this year, but depends how far above you are. You’ll prob get biglaw but don’t halfass OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!
Weil might be the least grade-selective among them. But I have heard last year they cancelled a bunch of screeners at Cornell based on grades since they already gave too many offers during pre-OCI, but the people I know whose screeners got cancelled had median/below median grades. Milbank seems to care a lot about undergrad grades. It varies for White & Case year by year since they don't give out a lot of callbacks at Cornell, but their CB GPA were usually around 3.6. Deb and STB seems to be more grade selective in general, but people who got in with 3.5~ GPA are not unheard of, they usually had work experience tho.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!
Weil might be the least grade-selective among them. But I have heard last year they cancelled a bunch of screeners at Cornell based on grades since they already gave too many offers during pre-OCI, but the people I know whose screeners got cancelled had median/below median grades. Milbank seems to care a lot about undergrad grades. It varies for White & Case year by year since they don't give out a lot of callbacks at Cornell, but their CB GPA were usually around 3.6. Deb and STB seems to be more grade selective in general, but people who got in with 3.5~ GPA are not unheard of, they usually had work experience tho.
I didn’t go to Cornell, but the Milbank undergrad grades thing sounds very wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:02 am

Cornell alum here. Besides grades, interviewing skills, work experience, any unique background, and some luck can really make a difference here. I would not rule out any of the firms, except STB maybe, with 3.5 from Cornell.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:02 am
Cornell alum here. Besides grades, interviewing skills, work experience, any unique background, and some luck can really make a difference here. I would not rule out any of the firms, except STB maybe, with 3.5 from Cornell.
I mostly agree with this. But it can also go the other way too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:31 am

Another Cornell alum here. Interviewing skills are almost as important as grades, imho. With a 3.5 most firms are obtainable from Cornell. Spend as much time as possible practicing interviewing.

I had slightly below median grades at AJF and struck out. Several people with worse grades than me received multiple offers. I was a terrible interviewer. Don’t be like me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:31 am
Another Cornell alum here. Interviewing skills are almost as important as grades, imho. With a 3.5 most firms are obtainable from Cornell. Spend as much time as possible practicing interviewing.

I had slightly below median grades at AJF and struck out. Several people with worse grades than me received multiple offers. I was a terrible interviewer. Don’t be like me.
What do you do now? Did things work out

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:46 pm

Res Ipsa Loquitter wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:31 am

What do you do now? Did things work out
Yeah things ended up working out. I did a state clerkship and now I’m at an AmLaw200 firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:19 pm

White and Case and Weil would be your safest bets from these but I'd definitely try to pick up some less sensitive firms than the ones you listed. I'd try to get some pre-OCI traction at like Willkie, Cahill, SRZ type firms to feel a bit better. If you only have 10 screeners and the listed firms make up a good portion of it, I'd 100% be applying down through the v100 in advance of OCI

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:19 pm
White and Case and Weil would be your safest bets from these but I'd definitely try to pick up some less sensitive firms than the ones you listed. I'd try to get some pre-OCI traction at like Willkie, Cahill, SRZ type firms to feel a bit better. If you only have 10 screeners and the listed firms make up a good portion of it, I'd 100% be applying down through the v100 in advance of OCI
Not OP, but would Shearman Sterling be a good bet too?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYC2022

New

Post by NYC2022 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks!
I'm a recent Cornell alum that got a couple of offers from the firms mentioned at slightly above median. I would recommend casting as wide a net as possible sooner rather than later but getting an offer from some of those firms is definitely possible.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:06 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, Shearman is also a prime landing spot for slightly above median at Cornell. I'll say something about the way Cornell publishes info on mean GPAs which is that the number is good for telling you where you're safe, but the number does get inflated by those with 10+ offers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:39 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:06 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, Shearman is also a prime landing spot for slightly above median at Cornell. I'll say something about the way Cornell publishes info on mean GPAs which is that the number is good for telling you where you're safe, but the number does get inflated by those with 10+ offers
Agree that it would be worth throwing a safety bid/app at Shearman. IIRC, Shearman is pretty GPA friendly, even for median/slightly-below median at Cornell.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”