Lateraling After 1 Year Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateraling After 1 Year

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:13 pm

Is it possible to lateral after just 1 year of biglaw? I like the firm I'm heading to in a couple months, but I've decided that I want to move back to my home market. Unfortunately, I'm already registered for the bar in State A (and State B is not UBE), and I need to work at Firm A for 12 months anyways, or else I have to pay them back the $$$ for bar course, etc.

Also, my firm has a system where you work in three different groups during year 1. Since I'll only have 4 months of experience in the practice group I ultimately am interested in, does that mean I'd have to start over as a first year in terms of salary schedule at Firm B? Thanks.

LittleRedCorvette

Bronze

Re: Lateraling After 1 Year

Post by LittleRedCorvette » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:13 pm
Is it possible to lateral after just 1 year of biglaw? I like the firm I'm heading to in a couple months, but I've decided that I want to move back to my home market. Unfortunately, I'm already registered for the bar in State A (and State B is not UBE), and I need to work at Firm A for 12 months anyways, or else I have to pay them back the $$$ for bar course, etc.

Also, my firm has a system where you work in three different groups during year 1. Since I'll only have 4 months of experience in the practice group I ultimately am interested in, does that mean I'd have to start over as a first year in terms of salary schedule at Firm B? Thanks.
Fine to lateral after 1 year, especially if due to a move. You'd have to talk about the second question with Firm B, but I would expect you to come in as a 2nd year unless you had zero experience.

Anonymous User

Re: Lateraling After 1 Year

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:15 pm

Great thank you! :)

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”