Pre-clerkship lit boutique recruiting? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pre-clerkship lit boutique recruiting?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:43 pm

Recently accepted an offer for a district court clerkship (DDC/SDNY/EDNY/CDCA) for 2025-26, and am currently a SA. My original plan (when I thought I would be clerking right out of law school) was to try and recruit for a lit boutique afterwards to do trial work, but it seems like I'll be working for two years on the front end. I'm very happy with my current firm, but was wondering if any of the usual suspects (Wilkinson, Molo, Susman, Keker, Kellogg etc.) are open to hiring out of law school for folks with future clerkships.

ambrau90

New

Re: Pre-clerkship lit boutique recruiting?

Post by ambrau90 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:08 pm

Molo, Susman, and Kellogg generally don't. Not sure about Wilkinson or Keker. You could check Selendy, Kaplan Hecker, Holwell Shuster, Patterson, Hueston Hennigan.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:13 pm

It will depend on the applicant obviously, but Wilkinson has done this in the past.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:30 pm

Keker has done this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:32 pm

On a related note, when is it a meaningful time to network for a post-clerkship position if you’re double clerking? Would any firms look at me if I’m 2-ish years away from finishing?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:32 pm
On a related note, when is it a meaningful time to network for a post-clerkship position if you’re double clerking? Would any firms look at me if I’m 2-ish years away from finishing?
You can (and should) always network, but if you mean actually sending in applications, you'll probably have better luck applying during your second clerkship. Also keep in mind that some judges have restrictions for clerks applying before a certain time of year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:37 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:32 pm
You can (and should) always network, but if you mean actually sending in applications, you'll probably have better luck applying during your second clerkship. Also keep in mind that some judges have restrictions for clerks applying before a certain time of year.
Good to know. I figured it would make sense to wait to reach out for networking purposes only next year. And I wouldn’t bother applying until I clerked it with the judge.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”