Lateralled to Big Law - How to Ask for Work? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateralled to Big Law - How to Ask for Work?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:24 am

As the title suggests, I lateraled to big law from in-house as a 5/6th year corporate associate. I have never been in big law before. I guess my firm has a "free-for-all" assignment model, where partners in your "practice group" (which feels like very nebulous term, btw) just call you if they need something done. We clearly don't have an assignment coordinator (is that even a thing at some firms?). However, I think each associate has a supervising/mentor partner, who seems to be the primary driver of that associate's assignments. Mine is really great, and I have - so far - a great relationship with her. That said, is it appropriate to approach other partners in your practice group or broader department and ask for work? If so, how do you do it? Can you be direct? For example, I've only passively mentioned that I have capacity to other partners I'm casually chatting with. Can I take the next step and proactively reach out? In my specific instance, I recently saw a note that a few partners and associates worked on in an area I find super interesting. It partially touches on my bread and butter skillset/knowledge base, but not entirely. Would it be weird for me to e-mail them and basically say "I find what you're doing super interesting, I'd love to help in any way I can on future research pieces of this sort, etc."? Also, a friend mentioned that it might be wise to give a heads up to my supervising partner. However, I don't want my supervising partner to get the impression that I'm not engaged with the work she is giving me, or that my focus is straying to other areas. That said, she did encourage me to speak to and meet as many people at the firm as possible, so I don't know if that's code for "feel free to roam around hunting for work"?

Much appreciated for any tips and advice on this topic for a big law newbie.

BrowsingTLS

Bronze

Re: Lateralled to Big Law - How to Ask for Work?

Post by BrowsingTLS » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:51 pm

Step 1. Don't.

Wanderingdrock

Bronze

Post by Wanderingdrock » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:19 pm

Good question but easy answer. Ask. My firm has an assignment system which you can fall back on if you're not getting work organically, and one of my practice groups has regular meetings where I can speak up if I have availability. But I've always just gotten my work organically, either walking around the office to chat with partners I'm interested in working with or sending them e-mails to introduce myself and my skill set and to ask for work if they've got any. If your firm is busy (and presumably it is or they wouldn't have hired a lateral) partners will be grateful for your time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:47 pm

Ok so, I was in your shoes at one point (biglaw lateral from in-house as a midlevel) and I'm going to give you the real story.

Every firm operates like this to some extent or another, even if they have an assigning partner. E.g., my firm, which had a strict assigning system, still had plenty of partners who doled out work in this way.

1. No one knows you. Especially now during COVID when no one is consistently in the office. You are a complete non-entity to the partners who haven't met you, and also to partners who have met you but who (take your pick), drink at lunch, don't remember the names of their associates, are really busy, don't work with new people, etc.

2. You need to become an entity. Some of that is time, some of that is just meeting people. So in some sense, you are doing all you can do. That said, make sure your conversations are highlighting your expertise, any connections you have to current clients, how likable you are, whatever it is that makes you the right fit. As you click with certain partners, you'll get assigned work when the next new matter trickles in or an associate leaves (sadly, this is how a lot of matters will come to you over time).

3. Now that at least one person knows who you are, you'll need to knock it out of the park. Free market systems work exclusively by word of mouth. You get a reputation for being responsive, the partner you work with talks about you, other partners who value that staff you, you do good work, etc. This comes with a caveat - frequently, there is at least one partner who SUCKS and is always looking for fresh meat. It could mean this person is mean, gets shit work, is dumb, doesn't staff well, etc. Whatever the reason, these type of people are in many cases the partners who will first assign you work, because other better/more prestigious partners are fully staffed with associates. In future, you will be turning down work from these partners for the better partners.

4. Make friends with your fellow associates. Once you get to know some people, pay attention to who they say are the bad partners, note who the best associates are (they work with the best partners), focus on firm dynamics. You can learn a ton and people will watch your back (assuming you're not a psycho).

5. Keep doing top quality work and hitting deadlines for your partners and senior associates (you don't even have to be nice/personable if you can do both of these). Your goal is to graduate from the shit partners to the good partners. It will happen as long as your work doesn't suck. It took me about a year to get from working with the entry level partner to working with the head of the group. The only reason it happened was because I was staffed on a garbage client of hers by central staffing, and I took the time to play around with the math on assumption the client had made. Turned out they were wrong. Not tooting my own horn, just want to note that it can be totally random what causes a partner to take notice. Looking back, I was mortified that I had sent her an email week 4 saying I would love to work on xyz type of matter with her. The best partners aren't going to staff a total unknown unless you have a connection or a niche background that is helpful.

All that is to say, get out there, keep making connections, be patient, do good work, hit your deadlines and try not to get in your own head. It will be a painful first year but soon you will be an old pro.

Also: It helps to be social and attend firm events and take the juniors out. Even if you aren't doing a ton of work, you can still be an asset to the firm and known as a such.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:26 pm

BrowsingTLS wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:51 pm
Step 1. Don't.
Why??

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:47 pm
Ok so, I was in your shoes at one point (biglaw lateral from in-house as a midlevel) and I'm going to give you the real story.

Every firm operates like this to some extent or another, even if they have an assigning partner. E.g., my firm, which had a strict assigning system, still had plenty of partners who doled out work in this way.

1. No one knows you. Especially now during COVID when no one is consistently in the office. You are a complete non-entity to the partners who haven't met you, and also to partners who have met you but who (take your pick), drink at lunch, don't remember the names of their associates, are really busy, don't work with new people, etc.

2. You need to become an entity. Some of that is time, some of that is just meeting people. So in some sense, you are doing all you can do. That said, make sure your conversations are highlighting your expertise, any connections you have to current clients, how likable you are, whatever it is that makes you the right fit. As you click with certain partners, you'll get assigned work when the next new matter trickles in or an associate leaves (sadly, this is how a lot of matters will come to you over time).

3. Now that at least one person knows who you are, you'll need to knock it out of the park. Free market systems work exclusively by word of mouth. You get a reputation for being responsive, the partner you work with talks about you, other partners who value that staff you, you do good work, etc. This comes with a caveat - frequently, there is at least one partner who SUCKS and is always looking for fresh meat. It could mean this person is mean, gets shit work, is dumb, doesn't staff well, etc. Whatever the reason, these type of people are in many cases the partners who will first assign you work, because other better/more prestigious partners are fully staffed with associates. In future, you will be turning down work from these partners for the better partners.

4. Make friends with your fellow associates. Once you get to know some people, pay attention to who they say are the bad partners, note who the best associates are (they work with the best partners), focus on firm dynamics. You can learn a ton and people will watch your back (assuming you're not a psycho).

5. Keep doing top quality work and hitting deadlines for your partners and senior associates (you don't even have to be nice/personable if you can do both of these). Your goal is to graduate from the shit partners to the good partners. It will happen as long as your work doesn't suck. It took me about a year to get from working with the entry level partner to working with the head of the group. The only reason it happened was because I was staffed on a garbage client of hers by central staffing, and I took the time to play around with the math on assumption the client had made. Turned out they were wrong. Not tooting my own horn, just want to note that it can be totally random what causes a partner to take notice. Looking back, I was mortified that I had sent her an email week 4 saying I would love to work on xyz type of matter with her. The best partners aren't going to staff a total unknown unless you have a connection or a niche background that is helpful.

All that is to say, get out there, keep making connections, be patient, do good work, hit your deadlines and try not to get in your own head. It will be a painful first year but soon you will be an old pro.

Also: It helps to be social and attend firm events and take the juniors out. Even if you aren't doing a ton of work, you can still be an asset to the firm and known as a such.
Thanks for the insights - very helpful!

A few follow up questions:

1) Is your view that I shouldn't cold e-mail? And if not, is it because it's a waste of time or it would just make me look silly/annoying?
2) If I do cold e-mail, do I mention to my supervising partner or nah?
3) In general, how many partners is a healthy number for sourcing work? Right now it seems like 3 (including my supervising partner) regularly call me up.

objctnyrhnr

Post by objctnyrhnr » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:15 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:47 pm

Thanks for the insights - very helpful!

A few follow up questions:

1) Is your view that I shouldn't cold e-mail? And if not, is it because it's a waste of time or it would just make me look silly/annoying?
2) If I do cold e-mail, do I mention to my supervising partner or nah?
3) In general, how many partners is a healthy number for sourcing work? Right now it seems like 3 (including my supervising partner) regularly call me up.
This definitely makes me think twice before really considering a lateral move (senior lit associate)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”