Lateral Opportunities for a Privacy First Year? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral Opportunities for a Privacy First Year?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:32 pm

Long story short, I'm a privacy first year getting forced out of my V50 firm. Am I completely screwed? I applied to a bunch of privacy associate openings via a recruiter two weeks ago and have gotten no bites despite solid credentials and substantive experience. Currently broadening my approach outside of BL and applying to any other opportunity I can. That said, it looks like every privacy position wants at least 2-3 years of experience, if not more. Is there any chance I would be considered for positions that ask for 2+ years of experience? Will I need to apply to entry level jobs if I want to land something? Any advice would be appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral Opportunities for a Privacy First Year?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:00 pm

Did you actually get a talk or did hours slow up?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:32 pm
Long story short, I'm a privacy first year getting forced out of my V50 firm. Am I completely screwed? I applied to a bunch of privacy associate openings via a recruiter two weeks ago and have gotten no bites despite solid credentials and substantive experience. Currently broadening my approach outside of BL and applying to any other opportunity I can. That said, it looks like every privacy position wants at least 2-3 years of experience, if not more. Is there any chance I would be considered for positions that ask for 2+ years of experience? Will I need to apply to entry level jobs if I want to land something? Any advice would be appreciated.
If you actually were told to leave, holy shit. This economy is worse than I thought.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:09 pm

OP here - Yes, I was told I need to find a new job. Also was told I have at least a month and a half to find to look. The partners aren't being mean about it which is nice, but obviously I'm antsy about job prospects.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:45 pm

Did they give you a reason why, or is this because of the markets?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LBJ's Hair

Silver

Post by LBJ's Hair » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:09 pm
OP here - Yes, I was told I need to find a new job. Also was told I have at least a month and a half to find to look. The partners aren't being mean about it which is nice, but obviously I'm antsy about job prospects.
they're literally firing you after one year and giving you what sounds like a soft deadline to leave. unless you're not even trying at the job this is terrible form for BigLaw

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:35 pm

Yeah I feel like we are missing context..this isn't very common and privacy seems to be in high demand?

lawschool04!

New

Post by lawschool04! » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:43 pm

Sorry to hear this! As an incoming privacy associate, can we get some more context?

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:09 pm
Firing a first year in June is crazy. Most firms treat druggies and sex abusers better than you’re being treated. Ask them if you can have till end of 2022 — one calendar year — to try to right the ship. Ask the managing partner if you have to — you already got fired so there’s little to lose here.

Lesion of Doom

Bronze

Post by Lesion of Doom » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:14 pm

Six weeks isn’t shit considering the context. They should give you at least three months.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”