San Francisco with no ties Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

San Francisco with no ties

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:55 pm

Planning to target San Francisco for OCI. Got good grades at a T6 but have neither a tech background nor ties. How should I sell my interest?

Anonymous User

Re: San Francisco with no ties

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:10 pm

Just say you've always wanted to live in SF and research some specific things about the SF office of the firm and mention those things in the interview. (I assume you're not at SLS. If so, you don't really need any explanation.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:10 pm
Just say you've always wanted to live in SF and research some specific things about the SF office of the firm and mention those things in the interview. (I assume you're not at SLS. If so, you don't really need any explanation.)
Yeah, not at SLS. But that's helpful, thanks. Re: mentioning things specific to the SF offices, do you have any thoughts about SF-only boutiques? (If they ask "Why SF" as a question separate from "Why [Firm]"; just saying "because that's where [Firm] is" seems a little cheesy.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:10 pm
Yeah, not at SLS. But that's helpful, thanks. Re: mentioning things specific to the SF offices, do you have any thoughts about SF-only boutiques? (If they ask "Why SF" as a question separate from "Why [Firm]"; just saying "because that's where [Firm] is" seems a little cheesy.)
You can say, "[Firm] does great work and will allow me to fulfill all of my professional goals. Plus SF seems like a cool city and I'd like to live there." Places like Keker hear that all the time. You don't need to be more specific than that, really. SF isn't that random of a place. It's not like Columbus, Ohio or some other place that rarely attracts people from the top schools.

johndonne

New

Post by johndonne » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:55 pm
Planning to target San Francisco for OCI. Got good grades at a T6 but have neither a tech background nor ties. How should I sell my interest?
Do you have an actual reason that you’re targeting San Francisco? You could start with that, if it’s not a completely frivolous reason.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:08 pm

You can say, "[Firm] does great work and will allow me to fulfill all of my professional goals. Plus SF seems like a cool city and I'd like to live there." Places like Keker hear that all the time. You don't need to be more specific than that, really. SF isn't that random of a place. It's not like Columbus, Ohio or some other place that rarely attracts people from the top schools.
Very helpful, thank you.
johndonne wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:13 pm

Do you have an actual reason that you’re targeting San Francisco? You could start with that, if it’s not a completely frivolous reason.
A few small ones that might seem frivolous—some friends in the area, lifestyle/weather, vague interest in working for tech clients, little reason to go or interest in going anywhere else in particular (don't especially like New York).

SFSpartan

Silver

Post by SFSpartan » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:35 pm

Focus on the tech clients and how that makes SF the best place to fulfill your professional goals. The small network you have here is probably a secondary consideration. I wouldn't mention the weather or the other stuff - wanting to come to CA for the weather is sort of implicit if you aren't from here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:43 pm

SFSpartan wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:35 pm
Focus on the tech clients and how that makes SF the best place to fulfill your professional goals. The small network you have here is probably a secondary consideration. I wouldn't mention the weather or the other stuff - wanting to come to CA for the weather is sort of implicit if you aren't from here.
Yeah, that was kind of my sense. Thanks for confirming it.

Do you know of any resources (other threads here or anything like that) with more info about work for tech clients in particular, or know anything about that yourself? I want to make sure I don't say anything obviously stupid or naive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”