Complaining About Work as an SA Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Re: Complaining About Work as an SA

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:48 am
OP here. Ya'll are right. I guess I was upset that the work wasn't varied, but even though it is a central assigning system doesn't mean I shouldn't be reaching out. Thank you everyone for the perspective. I've also reflected on it and think this is such a dumb thing to complain about as I am actually getting to directly help Partners with things that I have a unique advantage/skill on (bluebooking), which is something that other summers who write memo number 416 on the statute of fraud do not get to have. Reframing my mindset, I think I am actually incredibly fortunate to be given these assignments. I'll admit my initial question was fairly immature.
I wouldn't say you're "incredibly fortunate" to do bluebooking work. I think the main point here is it doesn't actually matter what you work on as an SA. Just relax and get your offer.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I'll admit my initial question was fairly immature.
It's not about immaturity or ingratitude. It's about lacking common sense.

You can resent awful assignments and awful people. You simply must never voice your resentment, as a general matter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:41 am

Wild Card wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:52 am
Anonymous User wrote:
I'll admit my initial question was fairly immature.
It's not about immaturity or ingratitude. It's about lacking common sense.

You can resent awful assignments and awful people. You simply must never voice your resentment, as a general matter.
I'm sure OP gets the sarcasm, but I just want to point out (1) OP's follow-up posts show maturity in a form I rarely see from other (mostly hotheaded/egotistical/self-preserving) lawyers and (2) this whole law firm schtick is a huge learning experience, so don't expect to get the right answers even 100% of the time 60% of the time. What you can do is think like a lawyer for everything, including your career - what's the up/downside of everything happening to/around you and how can you make the most of it. Most shit assignments are opportunities if you spin them right (though that doesn't mean you need to take all shit assignments).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”