Best offices? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best offices?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:45 pm

Curious with all the moves happening over the next few years (mostly to Hudson Yards) as to who's going to have the best offices in NY. My money's on either Debevoise (Spiral) or Cravath (Two Manhattan West), but I don't have a full picture of the market.

So who has/will have the swankiest offices in NY once all the moves are made?

Anonymous User

Re: Best offices?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:58 pm

Think it will still be Wilmer NY. Same office seen in Succession.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:13 pm

Literally couldn't care at all so long as I have a private office and the office doesn't have those awful glass bullpen open office concepts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:30 am

The "best" offices moving to the new swanky buildings won't really have many traditional offices (only for senior folks/partners probably). They're all embracing some form of hot-desking or more open floor plans to account for a post-COVID reality. That in itself makes them all trash compared to older offices that actually provide some level of privacy and a door to close.

At least frost the glass ffs...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:58 pm
Think it will still be Wilmer NY. Same office seen in Succession.
Seconded

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:45 pm

My friend at Quinn always jokingly says that they (NY office) has the worst office ever. Never been, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:58 pm

What are some of the offices in Hudson Yards like? Cooley? Skadden? Milbank? Anything particularly impressive or uninspiring?

chilover691

New

Post by chilover691 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:58 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:13 pm

Any info on STB NY offices for first year associates? Do associates get their own offices or cubicles? Glass walls? Frosted? How many floors? Segregated by practice group?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:13 pm
Any info on STB NY offices for first year associates? Do associates get their own offices or cubicles? Glass walls? Frosted? How many floors? Segregated by practice group?
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=308849&p=10465590& ... #p10465590

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:55 pm

The offices with the best aesthetics are not the best to work in, imho. Exterior offices with sunlight, wooden--or any non-glass--doors, not having to share offices, and not being located in midtown or hudson yards make for an office that is pleasant to work in. At Cadwalader and a big fan of our offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:55 pm
The offices with the best aesthetics are not the best to work in, imho. Exterior offices with sunlight, wooden--or any non-glass--doors, not having to share offices, and not being located in midtown or hudson yards make for an office that is pleasant to work in. At Cadwalader and a big fan of our offices.
Am I the only one who likes glass doors/walls? As long as people can't see my screen I like being able to see what's going on in the world outside. Makes for a more social office too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:47 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Am I the only one who likes glass doors/walls? As long as people can't see my screen I like being able to see what's going on in the world outside. Makes for a more social office too.
I kinda do too, if it’s done properly. My office has one glass wall, one window wall, two real walls. The glass wall to the main hallway is not frosted, but it IS soundproofed (like air-gapped specifically to soundproof). For me, it’s a fairly good compromise because I can see what’s going on outside and people can see if I’m there or busy without having to knock, but they can’t hear me and I can’t hear them. I think ideally I’d love the glass to be partially frosted, so they can see if I’m there but not what I’m doing, but they can’t really see my screens so it’s not a big deal.

Fuck open offices though (and bullpens, and cubicles). Fuck them so hard. Have you ever tried to do your job when everyone can hear you and you can hear everyone? Absolute nightmare. I’ll take a soundproof fishbowl any day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Frosted glass is the ultimate sensible compromise. KE Chi has full solid doors and it leads to a very antisocial environment where you will likely not be knocked on of your door is closed. New firm has frosted glass which I like a lot. I can still do some privacy required things like switching a shirt out quickly without worrying about a partner seeing me changing or something. It’s just nice to have the practicability of seeing someone is in with a bit of extra privacy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:49 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I kinda do too, if it’s done properly. My office has one glass wall, one window wall, two real walls. The glass wall to the main hallway is not frosted, but it IS soundproofed (like air-gapped specifically to soundproof). For me, it’s a fairly good compromise because I can see what’s going on outside and people can see if I’m there or busy without having to knock, but they can’t hear me and I can’t hear them. I think ideally I’d love the glass to be partially frosted, so they can see if I’m there but not what I’m doing, but they can’t really see my screens so it’s not a big deal.

Fuck open offices though (and bullpens, and cubicles). Fuck them so hard. Have you ever tried to do your job when everyone can hear you and you can hear everyone? Absolute nightmare. I’ll take a soundproof fishbowl any day.
Completely agree. Bullpens and cube farms are a dealbreaker. I'd take a drop in so-called prestige to avoid it. I don't care how nice the exterior looks or the type of interior decorating. The only thing that's worse is hoteling plus cubes. That idea was born in hell.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”