Am I crazy for trying to punch above my weight in DC? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Am I crazy for trying to punch above my weight in DC?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:20 pm

Given my fairly specific profile I feel there's a non-negligible chance I could be outing myself but I've been losing sleep over this so here goes nothing:

I'm a median student at a T14 and a current 1L biglaw summer associate in DC. Prior to law school I had non-technical regulatory experience at a fairly niche government agency, but in an area with a relatively sizeable biglaw practice in DC. Through past relationships and through just sheer networking I've been connecting with firms in DC that take generally only take students who are far above me in class rankings, and I think my past work experience has been a real door-opener for me. However - therein lies the rub - I didn't share my grades with anyone that I connected with, and I have the nagging feeling that they probably made incorrect assumptions about my grades based on my 1L biglaw summer role. I've been dragging my feet on pre-OCI applications as a result. Also, I quite like my current firm, so there isn't a powerful impetus to "trade-up", though my firm isn't really that strong in the niche practice area that I have experience in.

Am I just crazy for dragging my feet on pre-OCI? Most of the partners and senior associates I met said they like me and have encouraged me to apply to their firms early, but I just feel too embarrassed about my grades to act. Yet, I also know that the worst thing they could say is no... Or is it?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Am I crazy for trying to punch above my weight in DC?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:20 pm
Given my fairly specific profile I feel there's a non-negligible chance I could be outing myself but I've been losing sleep over this so here goes nothing:

I'm a median student at a T14 and a current 1L biglaw summer associate in DC. Prior to law school I had non-technical regulatory experience at a fairly niche government agency, but in an area with a relatively sizeable biglaw practice in DC. Through past relationships and through just sheer networking I've been connecting with firms in DC that take generally only take students who are far above me in class rankings, and I think my past work experience has been a real door-opener for me. However - therein lies the rub - I didn't share my grades with anyone that I connected with, and I have the nagging feeling that they probably made incorrect assumptions about my grades based on my 1L biglaw summer role. I've been dragging my feet on pre-OCI applications as a result. Also, I quite like my current firm, so there isn't a powerful impetus to "trade-up", though my firm isn't really that strong in the niche practice area that I have experience in.

Am I just crazy for dragging my feet on pre-OCI? Most of the partners and senior associates I met said they like me and have encouraged me to apply to their firms early, but I just feel too embarrassed about my grades to act. Yet, I also know that the worst thing they could say is no... Or is it?
The worst they can say is no. Apply to the firms early.

not2spicy4

New

Post by not2spicy4 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:05 am

For what it's worth, I had a similar profile (pre-law school experience signaling potential competency in a specific practice; ~median grades @ a T14) and I was able to punch above my weight in DC, though I also underperformed with some DC firms I thought were within reach. My performance in my backup market was more consistent with my expectations of my competitiveness.

Silver

Post by 2013 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:59 am

You’re selling yourself short. You got a 1L SA (arguably the most competitive 1L job) in the most competitive market.

Apply to the firms. Also, if your T14 is like Chicago/Columbia and not Georgetown, I’d say median is perfectly fine.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:42 am

From the initial post in this thread:

"Prior to law school I had non-technical regulatory experience at a fairly niche government agency, but in an area with a relatively sizeable biglaw practice in DC."

"...I think my past work experience has been a real door-opener for me."

You are not trying to punch above your weight in the DC market. You are looking at the wrong scale.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”