DC vs NYC litigation? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DC vs NYC litigation?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:31 pm

What's the difference between them, practically speaking? I have a stronger network in NY, and all else being equal would probably prefer to live in NY, but it seems like everyone at my YSC is much more focused on muh DC preftige. Is there something qualitatively different about DC practice over NY, or is it just about being able to live in DC?

Anonymous User

Re: DC vs NYC litigation?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:31 pm
What's the difference between them, practically speaking? I have a stronger network in NY, and all else being equal would probably prefer to live in NY, but it seems like everyone at my YSC is much more focused on muh DC preftige. Is there something qualitatively different about DC practice over NY, or is it just about being able to live in DC?
People view DC litigation as more prestigious because there is an idea that NY is dominated by general commercial and other financial litigation whereas the DC firms have dedicated appellate practice groups and more connections to the prestigious federal agencies. People may disagree with this perception, but I also think the prestigious New York biglaw litigation firms (Cravath, Paul Weiss, Debevoise, S&C, etc.) tend to be, on balance, a smidge less selective than the prestigious DC litigation firms (WilmerHale, Covington, W&C). If you're dead set on being an appellate litigator, you're probably better off in DC, unless you can manage to get hired at a NY firm like Susman.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
People view DC litigation as more prestigious because there is an idea that NY is dominated by general commercial and other financial litigation whereas the DC firms have dedicated appellate practice groups and more connections to the prestigious federal agencies. People may disagree with this perception, but I also think the prestigious New York biglaw litigation firms (Cravath, Paul Weiss, Debevoise, S&C, etc.) tend to be, on balance, a smidge less selective than the prestigious DC litigation firms (WilmerHale, Covington, W&C). If you're dead set on being an appellate litigator, you're probably better off in DC, unless you can manage to get hired at a NY firm like Susman.
If you're more interested in commercial lit/white collar, is NY better?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Is "YSC" a thing now? Just say you go to Chicago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Probably, yeah.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Galaxy brain is going to Y/S and using "YSC" to shit on the degree mill in cambridge

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Galaxy brain is going to Y/S and using "YSC" to shit on the degree mill in cambridge
As a Chi person, I support the dig. As for the topic, I'll be coming off a COA and will face this choice. I too would prefer NY for living, but I don't want to be at a firm where litigation places clear second to corporate (maybe that's an overblown concern?). Seems like it's easier to avoid that in DC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Just flagging that if you're "dead set on being an appellate litigator," do not under any circumstances go to Susman. Susman is a trial firm--not an appellate shop. Although it admittedly handles some appeals, those are almost without exception home-grown appeals. And even many of those are farmed out to firms with appellate specialties.

(Anon because i'm a current/former Susman associate).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:04 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Just flagging that if you're "dead set on being an appellate litigator," do not under any circumstances go to Susman. Susman is a trial firm--not an appellate shop. Although it admittedly handles some appeals, those are almost without exception home-grown appeals. And even many of those are farmed out to firms with appellate specialties.

This is valuable intel and a bit surprising, given that Susman attracts so many stellar candidates after they wrap up prestigious appellate clerkships.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
1) W&C is not a litigation firm; 2) It is not "prestigious" in WH and Cov sense

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Have you never heard of Williams and Connolly?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Have you never heard of Williams and Connolly?
Williams & Connolly definitely does litigation and definitely is prestigious. Did you think the person who wrote “W&C” was referring to White & Case?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is valuable intel and a bit surprising, given that Susman attracts so many stellar candidates after they wrap up prestigious appellate clerkships.
Doing an appellate clerkship is a really good way to see lots of ways to fuck up a trial, and therefore be prepared to avoid them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Probably, yeah.
I think this is true in general, but W&C is probably competitive with the top NY white collar firms (DPW, P,W and to some extent WLRK) for individual representation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:07 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

People with uber-elite credentials are overrepresented among people who want to be (1) trial lawyers’ trial lawyers and (2) appellate lawyers. The former dream of trial boutiques like Susman and Bartlit, the latter dream of DC appellate practices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:39 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:06 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
As a Chi person, I support the dig. As for the topic, I'll be coming off a COA and will face this choice. I too would prefer NY for living, but I don't want to be at a firm where litigation places clear second to corporate (maybe that's an overblown concern?). Seems like it's easier to avoid that in DC.
Then try to go to a boutique in NY, and check out the small white-collar ones if you’re into that work—relatively obscure shops like Krieger Kim hire really good people. Or go to a lit-focused NY office (maybe WilmerHale, off the top of my head?).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
The top and even midlevel DC firms tend to be significantly more selective than Cravath and the like, not a smidge. And NY does not have a real appellate bar, unlike DC (and TX and CA). There are for sure some top appellate practitioners in NY, but in general, appellate partners and groups are mostly elsewhere.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
DC is really strong in white collar too. In general, if you want to do true white collar *criminal defense*, versus internal investigations, you want to be at a boutique that regularly reps executives, rather than a biglaw firm that only really reps the company.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:51 am

Everyone is missing a huge reason for being in DC over NYC for appellate clerks, hobnobbing with politicos to get a government position or political appointment down the line.

jsnow212

Bronze

Post by jsnow212 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:26 pm

What's your goal? There is no extra "prestige" for DC itself outside of DC and law school. Get over that consideration.

Your focus should be on the place you want to live, weighing the firms you receive offers from, and the type of work/natural path for that work that you want to do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
As a Y/S alum, I can say we much more welcome this acronym than being lumped together with a degree mill T4 TikTok law school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Plus when was YSH a thing? Why don’t the cash cow influencer school students just say they go to HLS and stop mooch off of YS and Harvard College prestige?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Plus when was YSH a thing? Why don’t the cash cow influencer school students just say they go to HLS and stop mooch off of YS and Harvard College prestige?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”