2023 Vault/Firsthand Rankings Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2023 Vault/Firsthand Rankings

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:12 pm

DPW should raise to 250. Separate the wheat from the chaff. All firms being at the same general idea of market is an aberration. Let's see who has the financial resources to keep up.

Edit:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:06 pm

I get this unfortunate attitude because I've been on both ends. At my V10, all I had was prestige because I sure as hell wasn't going to advance within the firm past maybe year 5. I had good relationships with my colleagues but, substantively, amounted to no more than a well-liked paper-churning cog. Now having lateraled to a V50 I'm getting put in front of rainmakers and being told, in detail, the firm's long term plans for me (including client interaction, etc). By the standards of many on TLS I've taken a huge L but it's become very clear to me how divergent that is from the reality of my day-to-day where I feel much more valued and secure long term.
Do you think you'd be given the same interactions if you hadn't started at the V10? Genuinely curious how much the branding helps

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:12 pm
DPW should raise to 250. Separate the wheat from the chaff. All firms being at the same general idea of market is an aberration. Let's see who has the financial resources to keep up.

Edit:
Anonymous User wrote:

I get this unfortunate attitude because I've been on both ends. At my V10, all I had was prestige because I sure as hell wasn't going to advance within the firm past maybe year 5. I had good relationships with my colleagues but, substantively, amounted to no more than a well-liked paper-churning cog. Now having lateraled to a V50 I'm getting put in front of rainmakers and being told, in detail, the firm's long term plans for me (including client interaction, etc). By the standards of many on TLS I've taken a huge L but it's become very clear to me how divergent that is from the reality of my day-to-day where I feel much more valued and secure long term.
Do you think you'd be given the same interactions if you hadn't started at the V10? Genuinely curious how much the branding helps
(Re-framing after re-reading your question)

I never would have had this opportunity in the first place without those 2-3 years of experience at the V10. My pedigree coming from that firm was a huge reason I was recruited so aggressively. To that extent, the prestige definitely does matter - I think the point I'm (inarticulately) trying to make is that as you get more senior that prestige matters far less and it becomes a legitimate (and arguably more optimal) option to leverage it into whatever ideal situation you can create for yourself. Vault does arguably matter for law students, but for lawyers year 3+ you should really be advancing your career objectives on your own instead of arguing about prestige, because odds are you won't be advancing at a V10 (unless you count NSP as real advancement, lol).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I left a V10 for a firm within the V50 range and I do not regret it at all. I would have left for Milbank just as easily because I knew even prior to this jump that they were market leaders.

The other V10 anon talking about "real prestige" is missing the big picture.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:22 pm

As a recent grad going to a V5, I 100% agree with the sentiments above.

I plan on doing two years and bouncing to a lower ranked Vault firm or a midlaw firm ASAP. I know I’m not alone in that viewpoint either, and may be a part of the business model for the firm I am going to.

But, with all firms being somewhat even in pay—preftige is starting to matter less to my generation.

tlsguy2020

New

Post by tlsguy2020 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:06 pm
Yes, it is ridiculous... ppl might choose milbank over paul hastings/omelveny/some other random sub v20ish firm, but the idea that they can actually pull associate talent on par with ~v15 above is crazy. You'd be insane to take a Milbank offer over sidley or weil, let alone PW/GDC. In fact, the thought of choosing milbank over PW/GDC is actually comical
Do people in New York care this much about firm vault prestige or is this just a law student being a weirdo? Because this seems like a really weird take from my west coast perspective.

Totally reasonable to pick WSGR over Cooley even though Cooley is a higher “V.” Also reasonable to pick OMM over a Latham or DPW etc because you liked the people you met from OMM better.

Different firms also do different things. Jenner (V65) has a great appellate and state AG practice. Gunderson (V75) is among the best for VC. Wilkie (V38) has a good entertainment practice. Susman (V41) does plaintiffs work and Munger (V42) is filled with SCOTUS-clerk level litigators. Why would someone go to like Weil or something over those if Weil doesn’t do that type of work?

Anyways enjoy the preftige I guess?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Edit:
Anonymous User wrote:

I never would have had this opportunity in the first place without those 2-3 years of experience at the V10. My pedigree coming from that firm was a huge reason I was recruited so aggressively. To that extent, the prestige definitely does matter - I think the point I'm (inarticulately) trying to make is that as you get more senior that prestige matters far less and it becomes a legitimate (and arguably more optimal) option to leverage it into whatever ideal situation you can create for yourself. Vault does arguably matter for law students, but for lawyers year 3+ you should really be advancing your career objectives on your own instead of arguing about prestige, because odds are you won't be advancing at a V10 (unless you count NSP as real advancement, lol).
Summary, Vs can matter for some people. This is all a matter of what you want from your V firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:26 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:11 pm
BrowsingTLS wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:17 pm
BrowsingTLS wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:58 pm
Paying more money than other firms or raising the market is prestigious. And Vault is about prestige. So jumping for moving money is reasonable. You forget Milbank jumped 15 spots after it first raised market.

You think we respect Wachtell so highly because they work their associates more than other firms? No, it's the money. They also have a reputation justified or not for being exceedingly intelligent/doing more complex work than even their "peers."
Milbank has no real prestige. Dead stop.
Sorry they rejected you at OCI. And thanks for the anon non-argument.

Milbank to V10.
Lolz currently at a real v10. You cant just purchase true prestige… guess I presumed too much

No extra hate on Milbank, and even appreciate them pushing the salary envelope, but cmon
Nobody will remember you in 100 years. But stay SIMPing for prestige that nobody in this world cares about.
In case this isn't a subtle troll: you're still a paper-churning cog at your V50, and the partners are feeding your ego to make you stay and churn more paper.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:56 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:20 pm
I know the regional Vault rankings matter even less than the pointless nationwide rankings but for shits & giggles…

Big losers in NYC:
• S&C: -2 (#3 to #5)
• Cleary: -3 (#8 to #11)
• Debevoise: -3 (#9 to #12)
Those haven't been updated yet. The only update is to the 100 ranking.
When do these lists get updated?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:56 am

SullCrom should raise to 230 and get that V5 back.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:27 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Edit:
Anonymous User wrote:

For what is worth I had a similar experience lateraling to a v50ish from a well regarded but not super well known boutique (i.e. a firm that most consider less "prestigious" than a V10).

The above is partially just an aspect of lateral hiring where you are being brought in to serve a particular need through a process that is expensive for the firm. Firm leadership has a strong incentive to present you with a real long term plan and integrate you into the team to make sure their investment pays off. It does create a bit of a weird dynamic because I think there are probably homegrown associates who are bit miffed they hired someone for this role as opposed to having one of them fill it.

So I don't think you have to start out at a V10 to have this type of outcome if you can market yourself well and hustle a bit. Surviving until your 3/4 year is probably the single biggest factor, since there is seemingly always demand for competent lateral mid-level hires.

This is all from a lit perspective; corporate folks who lateraled I'm 2021 to a firm desperate for bodies ASAP may have a different experience because the firms incentives were different for those hires.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:39 pm

tlsguy2020 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:06 pm
Yes, it is ridiculous... ppl might choose milbank over paul hastings/omelveny/some other random sub v20ish firm, but the idea that they can actually pull associate talent on par with ~v15 above is crazy. You'd be insane to take a Milbank offer over sidley or weil, let alone PW/GDC. In fact, the thought of choosing milbank over PW/GDC is actually comical
Do people in New York care this much about firm vault prestige or is this just a law student being a weirdo? Because this seems like a really weird take from my west coast perspective.

Totally reasonable to pick WSGR over Cooley even though Cooley is a higher “V.” Also reasonable to pick OMM over a Latham or DPW etc because you liked the people you met from OMM better.

Different firms also do different things. Jenner (V65) has a great appellate and state AG practice. Gunderson (V75) is among the best for VC. Wilkie (V38) has a good entertainment practice. Susman (V41) does plaintiffs work and Munger (V42) is filled with SCOTUS-clerk level litigators. Why would someone go to like Weil or something over those if Weil doesn’t do that type of work?

Anyways enjoy the preftige I guess?
This isn’t a west coast perspective… no one with the stats is taking omelveny or Jenner (lol) over LW/GDC out here in Southern California. Unless maybe over GDC for corp, but not as familiar

But to the extent you want tech yeah I’ve seen ppl go wsgr/cooley and of course munger/susman is kinda it’s own thing. But prestige still matters out here

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:13 pm

Do we have any hopes of a another round of raises given the economy?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:41 pm

What the heck is going on with McDermott Will & Emery? #1 in almost everything work/life & summer related, including a jump in "Compensation" from #28 to #1, "Transparency" from unranked to #1, and "Best Law Firm to Work For" from #41 to #1 :!:

Did folks see this coming? Is it really a big law heaven?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:13 pm
Assuming that Milbank is still profitable across most or all groups, I'd say there is definitely the possibility.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:13 pm
Assuming that Milbank is still profitable across most or all groups, I'd say there is definitely the possibility.
Don’t get my hopes up haha

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:41 pm
What the heck is going on with McDermott Will & Emery? #1 in almost everything work/life & summer related, including a jump in "Compensation" from #28 to #1, "Transparency" from unranked to #1, and "Best Law Firm to Work For" from #41 to #1 :!:

No one cares Mr MWE Recruiting

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:49 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Same anon, not at this firm, nor a "Mr." Just genuinely flabbergasted because I have no idea HOW a jump like that could occur, esp. with respect to something like compensation when firms like WLRK and Kirkland pay bigger bonuses and are on the same pay scale, and MWE wasn't even the firm to kick off the salary increases...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:57 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Same anon, not at this firm, nor a "Mr." Just genuinely flabbergasted because I have no idea HOW a jump like that could occur, esp. with respect to something like compensation when firms like WLRK and Kirkland pay bigger bonuses and are on the same pay scale, and MWE wasn't even the firm to kick off the salary increases...
Because specialty rankings for firms are irrelevant just like they are for schools.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Because specialty rankings for firms are irrelevant just like they are for schools.
Fair enough, thanks.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Fair enough, thanks.
They were n.1 for virtually every category last year, too. Doesn't make any sense, and I'm actually surprised Vault let something like that happen, since it seems to highlight the fact that their rankings can easily be gamed.

thepsychedelic

Bronze

Post by thepsychedelic » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:58 pm

Moneytrees wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Fair enough, thanks.
They were n.1 for virtually every category last year, too. Doesn't make any sense, and I'm actually surprised Vault let something like that happen, since it seems to highlight the fact that their rankings can easily be gamed.
The specialty rankings haven't updated for this year yet. Those rankings are still from last year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jchance

Silver

Post by Jchance » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:16 pm

Did everyone miss Cooley's rise of its rank by 5 into v20?

After another round of salary raise, I am predicting Milbank at v6 or within v5. Com'on Milbank!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:56 am

SullCrom got straight 1s from me for screwing over their summers during COVID (the only V10 to do so). Until they take some sort of pro-associate action (like initiating a raise) I’ll continue to do so. Plus, they’re kinda dicks anyway.

NoLongerALurker

Bronze

Post by NoLongerALurker » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:52 pm

Also was super early sending everyone back to office

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:56 am

SullCrom got straight 1s from me for screwing over their summers during COVID (the only V10 to do so). Until they take some sort of pro-associate action (like initiating a raise) I’ll continue to do so. Plus, they’re kinda dicks anyway.
Sorry, I couldn't find my answer through the search engine. What did S&C do during the pandemic?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”