2023 Vault/Firsthand Rankings Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2023 Vault/Firsthand Rankings

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:17 pm
BrowsingTLS wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:58 pm
Ultramar vistas wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:54 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:09 pm
Any predictions for moving in/out of the v20? I'm guessing that Paul Hastings and White Case drop out.
Heard Milbank was pleased with its substantial gain. Prob v10 or even v5 now.
I’ll be delighted if I’m wrong, but there’s absolutely no way Milbank is a V5.

I’m pretty much 100% sure Vault does some smoothing year to year to limit major jumps that might otherwise happen due to sudden compensation-related bursts of popularity / major declines due to layoffs (cough Latham cough).

Milbank as a V5 wouldn’t reflect reality in any conventional sense, and would make Vault less credible by extension, and I don’t think they will allow that to happen. Could be wrong though, in which case Milbank will have got more than it’s money’s worth from being a comp leader, and will hopefully inspire other perennial outsiders to raise the stakes in hope of a major vault jump.
Paying more money than other firms or raising the market is prestigious. And Vault is about prestige. So jumping for moving money is reasonable. You forget Milbank jumped 15 spots after it first raised market.

You think we respect Wachtell so highly because they work their associates more than other firms? No, it's the money. They also have a reputation justified or not for being exceedingly intelligent/doing more complex work than even their "peers."
Milbank has no real prestige. Dead stop.
lol at this take. Milbank probably has the *most* "real" prestige right now alongside STB. They're moving compensation in the industry. None of the fantasy shit people care about in law school matters.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:56 am
Anonymous User wrote:
BrowsingTLS wrote:
Ultramar vistas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Any predictions for moving in/out of the v20? I'm guessing that Paul Hastings and White Case drop out.

I’m pretty much 100% sure Vault does some smoothing year to year to limit major jumps that might otherwise happen due to sudden compensation-related bursts of popularity / major declines due to layoffs (cough Latham cough).

Milbank as a V5 wouldn’t reflect reality in any conventional sense, and would make Vault less credible by extension, and I don’t think they will allow that to happen. Could be wrong though, in which case Milbank will have got more than it’s money’s worth from being a comp leader, and will hopefully inspire other perennial outsiders to raise the stakes in hope of a major vault jump.
Paying more money than other firms or raising the market is prestigious. And Vault is about prestige. So jumping for moving money is reasonable. You forget Milbank jumped 15 spots after it first raised market.

You think we respect Wachtell so highly because they work their associates more than other firms? No, it's the money. They also have a reputation justified or not for being exceedingly intelligent/doing more complex work than even their "peers."
lol at this take. Milbank probably has the *most* "real" prestige right now alongside STB. They're moving compensation in the industry. None of the fantasy shit people care about in law school matters.
STB has prestige because of their client base and top notch work. Milbanks "prestige" is because they raised salaries. Don't get me wrong, I'm super thankful that Milbank did so. But I don't think that equals the prestige of STB/DPW

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:17 am

Prestige can absolutely be bought lol. What is this some old Yale club meeting complaining about how tech bros have no class because they don't know which fork to use.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:17 am
Prestige can absolutely be bought lol. What is this some old Yale club meeting complaining about how tech bros have no class because they don't know which fork to use.
A decent proportion of TLS is law students, clerks, and junior associates for whom it's deeply important that people understand that Paul Weiss is more "prestigious" than Millbank for ... you know, reasons. I don't actually blame them for this mentality because it's been foisted on them. As you get more senior, I think most people begin to understand the artificiality of a lot of the "prestige" discussion and how it is divorced from the motivations of partners, which are driven much more by financial metrics (which in turn end up building the "prestige" in a self-justifying way). In a way, "prestige" is a giant cope for an industry that doesn't want to admit to some incoming first year that this is now being done mostly for the money versus "how things were" back in 1948 because that would be "dirty."

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:17 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:56 am
Anonymous User wrote:
BrowsingTLS wrote:
Ultramar vistas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

STB has prestige because of their client base and top notch work. Milbanks "prestige" is because they raised salaries. Don't get me wrong, I'm super thankful that Milbank did so. But I don't think that equals the prestige of STB/DPW
This is a pretty outdated way of thinking about prestige IMO. Every top firm has an elite roster of clients in this day and age. Big, institutional clients generally use a multitude of law firms now - it's not like Goldman Sachs is only giving work to one or two white shoe NY firms anymore. Milbank and STB/DPW's client base is probably very similar.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SGTslaughter

New

Post by SGTslaughter » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This is actually exactly the mentality of a lot of the people in this field lmao. Think of how much of a loser you need to be to sit on an internet forum and argue for pages about which law firm is more prestigious than the other. The totally made up gatekeeping is all you have when you're making substantially less money than a techbro while working insanely worse hours in an insanely worse environment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:19 pm

SGTslaughter wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:16 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
This is actually exactly the mentality of a lot of the people in this field lmao. Think of how much of a loser you need to be to sit on an internet forum and argue for pages about which law firm is more prestigious than the other. The totally made up gatekeeping is all you have when you're making substantially less money than a techbro while working insanely worse hours in an insanely worse environment.
Jaded take

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:59 pm

wait did the vault rankings just drop? I checked and Milbank is now number 11 and DPW is 4. LET'S FUCKING GO

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:59 pm
wait did the vault rankings just drop? I checked and Milbank is now number 11 and DPW is 4. LET'S FUCKING GO
The madlads are another 5k raise away from successfully breaking into the V10 through sheer balls.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
The madlads are another 5k raise away from successfully breaking into the V10 through sheer balls.
"Leading the charge in compensation, Milbank is among the most elite law firms for corporate law." Sounds like good, logic, causal relationship to me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:35 pm

BSF now sub-50. Still too high

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:27 pm

Holy shit Milbank moved up 12 spots. This has to qualify as one of the bigger moves in Vault ranking history.
Guess that puts to bed all the "le prestige can't be bought!" whiners here. Daddy Milbank just bought himself some prestige.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LittleRedCorvette

Bronze

Post by LittleRedCorvette » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:28 pm

Kirkland to #7 -- KE associates on suicide watch.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:29 pm

STB looking at Milbank's 12 spot moving and wondering who the hell this pissed off to have no change.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:29 pm
STB looking at Milbank's 12 spot moving and wondering who the hell this pissed off to have no change.
To counter, they haven't done shit since they raised salaries in 2006 or whatever

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:09 am

LittleRedCorvette wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:28 pm
Kirkland to #7 -- KE associates on suicide watch.
I put my notice in already. That is unacceptable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:29 pm
To counter, they haven't done shit since they raised salaries in 2006 or whatever
This was me doing a brain fart. I meant DPW which rightfully moved up from 7 to 4, so now into the V5. Basically both Milbank and DPW have been handsomely rewarding for, well, handsomely rewarding associates.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:18 am

Latham still at #5 is peculiar. If anything KE should go to #5 and Latham should go to #7.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
A firm of focus, commitment, and sheer fucking will.

Spider2YBanana

New

Post by Spider2YBanana » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:18 am

As an associate, I'm perfectly willing to participate in the experiment as to whether prestige can be bought.

BrowsingTLS

Bronze

Post by BrowsingTLS » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:24 am

BrowsingTLS wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:19 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
BrowsingTLS wrote:

Sorry they rejected you at OCI. And thanks for the anon non-argument.

Milbank to V10.
Now that my initial prediction of Milbank being in V11 happened, I want to repeat that Vault is about prestige, paying more money and raising salaries is prestigious, and Milbank is rightfully ascending the ranks year over year. 15 jumps after 160 to 180K. 12 jumps after getting us to 215K starting. This is how the game is played. See you in the V10 next year Milbank.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:40 am

No matter your firm, you should be happy with Milbank's rice. For the non-partners here (which is basically all of us) we should be rooting for Milbank to shoot up the vault ranks and have the prestige that comes with it. Yes this is good for Milbank, but it is also good for us insofar as it 1) encourages Milbank to continually increase salaries and 2) puts pressure on firms like DPW and Cravath to maintain their Milbank + a little re-raise posture. I'm sorry but if you're posting "I will never look at Milbank as equals with a 'real' V10 firm" you're kinda a loser and don't know how much new law students unfamiliar with the law firm world obsess over stupid things like vault rankings and let it guide their decisions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:49 am

Let's not forget that in 2019 Milbank was at #40. Money talks.

https://legacy.vault.com/best-companies ... /year/2019

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:30 pm

Damn S&C taking that L

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:40 pm

As someone who picked Milbank in summer 2018, after the first raise but before the massive jumps in rank, the new Vault ranking feels so vindicating. I didn't pick the firm for the money or the rank, I picked it because it was the firm that I thought I could last the longest at.

I'll never forget the classmate of mine at my t14 who, when I said I'd be heading to Milbank as a summer associate, said "oh they're the ones that raised salaries? Strange that they did that, because since everyone matched it isn't like it will make them anymore prestigious. But I guess no one ever heard of them before that so maybe it was just for publicity." Anyway, hope that jerk enjoys that my "previously unknown" firm is now ranked higher than their firm.

Vault is stupid and pointless though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”