Mayer Brown — Lateral Signing Bonus/EOY Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mayer Brown — Lateral Signing Bonus/EOY

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:12 pm

I’m interested in an open position at Mayer, but I hear they don’t do signing bonuses or guaranteed EOY bonus. I asked a recruiter for them if that’s the case and he said no, both are on the table.

Anyone have any insight? I don’t feel like going down the path of a lateral move there if those incentives are not available.

Anonymous User

Re: Mayer Brown — Lateral Signing Bonus/EOY

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:03 am

If the recruiter said it’s on the table, I don’t know why you wouldn’t believe them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:12 pm
I’m interested in an open position at Mayer, but I hear they don’t do signing bonuses or guaranteed EOY bonus. I asked a recruiter for them if that’s the case and he said no, both are on the table.

Anyone have any insight? I don’t feel like going down the path of a lateral move there if those incentives are not available.
Mayer Brown certainly offers both. Just don't expect earth shattering, Kirkland type figures.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:24 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Mayer Brown certainly offers both. Just don't expect earth shattering, Kirkland type figures.
Thank you! Any ballpark range you think I should ask for on signing bonus? I’ve got significant/direct experience and great credentials. Not sure what would be an appropriate number to propose.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:00 pm

I was offered a guaranteed EOY bonus by MB but zero signing bonus even after multiple requests.

Their offer was so far behind their peers that I was angry they had even bothered to do the interviews. Don't waste my time when you have zero intention of being competitive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:00 pm
I was offered a guaranteed EOY bonus by MB but zero signing bonus even after multiple requests.

Their offer was so far behind their peers that I was angry they had even bothered to do the interviews. Don't waste my time when you have zero intention of being competitive.
Your prior post on this may have been what made me weary about it all. Was your guaranteed EOY bonus pro rated? I plan to jump in July so middle of the year.

Also, if you don’t mind answering, are you in corporate or another practice? Did you ultimately turn them down?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Got 50k sign-on and guaranteed market-rate EOY bonus as a third year (not prorated) to add a data point. Secured this offer between January-May. I lateraled from a V10 but did switch practice areas (though I did have relevant experience). They let me keep my class year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:02 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Got 50k sign-on and guaranteed market-rate EOY bonus as a third year (not prorated) to add a data point. Secured this offer between January-May. I lateraled from a V10 but did switch practice areas (though I did have relevant experience). They let me keep my class year.
This is an amazing data point, thanks! So helpful. January and May of this year? I know last year was a way hot market.

Was your new practice area in one of the hit corporate/finance ones? No pressure to answer if not comfortable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is an amazing data point, thanks! So helpful. January and May of this year? I know last year was a way hot market.

Was your new practice area in one of the hit corporate/finance ones? No pressure to answer if not comfortable.
Yeah - between January and May of this year. Also yes on switching into corporate/finance. One thing I will note though is that I got the distinct impression that I was getting in at the buzzer on having this offer. I think that the lateral market has, unfortunately, cooled off a lot in the last month or two.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah - between January and May of this year. Also yes on switching into corporate/finance. One thing I will note though is that I got the distinct impression that I was getting in at the buzzer on having this offer. I think that the lateral market has, unfortunately, cooled off a lot in the last month or two.
Yeah I get what you’re saying on timing being right. Congrats on the sweet offer and thanks so much for the insight; I felt like I was flying totally blind. Have you liked it there so far? Curious what made you pick MB over other firms?

Happy to chat over PM if you prefer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Your prior post on this may have been what made me weary about it all. Was your guaranteed EOY bonus pro rated? I plan to jump in July so middle of the year.

Also, if you don’t mind answering, are you in corporate or another practice? Did you ultimately turn them down?
Full guaranteed EOY bonus with no hours requirement for a July 2021 start. Corp midlevel. Not NYC or Chicago.

I turned them down almost immediately after they said they weren't willing to negotiate anything. I had a bunch of other offers and every single one besides MB was competitive. Ultimately went with a peer who beat them by $75k.

Hope you have better luck with them than I did.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:49 pm

I would caution against lateralling to MB even if they were offering a signing/EOY bonus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:49 pm
I would caution against lateralling to MB even if they were offering a signing/EOY bonus.
Damn. Would you be willing to elaborate?

I can PM if you don’t want to post.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:59 pm

I have a lit friend who joined MB post-clerkship and who got stiffed on the EOY bonus because, obviously, their hours weren't high enough.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:59 pm
I have a lit friend who joined MB post-clerkship and who got stiffed on the EOY bonus because, obviously, their hours weren't high enough.

S/he had a guaranteed bonus and they stiffed them? Did the firm explain why the guarantee was no longer applicable? Was it not in writing? I’m shocked tbh that this shit happens

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:04 pm

Posting to follow this thread. Interested too

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thx for the insight! One more question if you don't mind.. was your signing bonus paid upfront or was it paid in installments over the year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:01 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:13 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Full guaranteed EOY bonus with no hours requirement for a July 2021 start. Corp midlevel. Not NYC or Chicago.

I turned them down almost immediately after they said they weren't willing to negotiate anything. I had a bunch of other offers and every single one besides MB was competitive. Ultimately went with a peer who beat them by $75k.

Hope you have better luck with them than I did.
Were you using a recruiter?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”