Biglaw firms with fertility benefits? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw firms with fertility benefits?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:24 pm

I'm currently looking to lateral to a biglaw firm with fertility benefits (for obvious reasons). I did an ivf cycle recently and it was a failure, and $20k out of pocket. Luckily, my partner and I were able to pay that $20k, but we can't sustain it long term, which is looking likely. so I'm looking for a firm that will cover ivf. If you're at a firm or know of one that offers coverage for fertility treatments (specifically ivf) then please list them below so I can research if it's a viable option for me. So far it's been hard to figure this out by just going on firm websites. I appreciate any help!

Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw firms with fertility benefits?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:24 pm
I'm currently looking to lateral to a biglaw firm with fertility benefits (for obvious reasons). I did an ivf cycle recently and it was a failure, and $20k out of pocket. Luckily, my partner and I were able to pay that $20k, but we can't sustain it long term, which is looking likely. so I'm looking for a firm that will cover ivf. If you're at a firm or know of one that offers coverage for fertility treatments (specifically ivf) then please list them below so I can research if it's a viable option for me. So far it's been hard to figure this out by just going on firm websites. I appreciate any help!
WilmerHale literally just came out with a fertility program, which I think covers up to $25k. It's not clear to me though whether it only covers freezing, or whether it also covers IVF. It also covers adoption/surrogacy FWIW.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:47 pm

Reed Smith just announced fertility benefits earlier this year. I think it’s $60k lifetime through carrot fertility, and I’m pretty sure IVF is covered, but I haven’t looked into exact details. The health insurance also covers up to $15k lifetime in addition to the carrot benefits.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:01 pm

Gibson covers $60k in fertility benefits. Can be used for egg freezing, adoption, surrogacy, IVF, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:28 pm

Kirkland has coverage via Progeny, which uses a system of “smart cycles” instead of dollar caps. Doing some quick math though, you could get 5x IVF cycles with a 1/4 leftover, or 8x rounds of egg freezing, for example. Not sure how that translates to dollars but it seems generous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:35 pm

Some firms may cover it based on the location of their HQ. I had a Massachusetts health insurance plan for a Boston-based firm (though working in CA) and it covered IVF out of the box (https://resolve.org/learn/financial-res ... -by-state/)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:34 pm

White & Case will pay for at least one cycle, probably more. Cryopreservation may not be covered and I’m sure there are other exceptions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:10 pm

DPW also has coverage through Progeny which is way better than a dollar cap (and you come out way ahead of most other fertility coverage as well if you assume that an average retrieval + transfer cycle is going to be ~$20k). I'm not sure whether Progeny covers genetic testing on embryos though (which most clinics will require that you do if you're doing frozen embryo transfers) and because that's charged on a per embryo basis, if things work out, that can be a big cost out of pocket.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:36 pm

Cooley has Progeny available as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:53 pm

Goodwin provides 25k for egg freezing and 25k for IVF.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:55 pm

OP here. Thank you so much for the great information! Keep it coming :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:09 pm

WSGR covers $60k for IVF/fertility treatments and $20k for egg freezing/surrogacy/adoption

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:11 am

Please keep naming firms, this is a really great question

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawskool234

New

Post by lawskool234 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:53 am

Latham covers 3 rounds I think.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:54 pm

Dechert had fertility benefits when I worked there a couple years ago, I don't imagine that's changed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:38 pm

Cleary has progeny, and also gives paid time off following a pregnancy loss or failed fertility treatment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:04 pm

Can we get more info on amount of paid leave?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:39 am

Latham covers 3 rounds of full IVF + one round of elective egg freezing. Everything included. I only paid out of pocket for genetic testing of embryos because I’m under 35 and had no previous history of pregnancy loss or genetic issue. If I had one of those, genetic testing also covered. They also cover cost of all IVF meds in addition to the three rounds. I got approval in like a day and they shipped 30k worth of medications. My doc said they had never seen insurance so good. Then I got 6 months paid mat leave plus full bonus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:56 am

If you participate in the firm's medical plan, Ropes and Gray pays for egg-freezing and IVF.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:58 am

Apologies for what might be a very basic question. My wife and I are considering IVF. My law firm's insurance plan (HDHP) looks like it covers fertility treatments, including IVF. Is this uncommon? Is the deductible just insanely high?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:58 am
Apologies for what might be a very basic question. My wife and I are considering IVF. My law firm's insurance plan (HDHP) looks like it covers fertility treatments, including IVF. Is this uncommon? Is the deductible just insanely high?
Not uncommon and required by NY law for certain employers (I believe it's tied to the size of the company). Some insurance companies may make you try IUI and other (cheaper, less effective) methods before shelling out for IVF though. But this is probably more easily answered by calling your insurance company and asking.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:43 pm

Ok, so I have a friend who did this. Anon so you can't figure out which friend.

Go sign up to work at Amazon as a delivery driver. Go through the HR process. Get the best health insurance that has fertility benefits. Go work 1 or 2 days until the insurance kicks in. I think my friend made like 12 deliveries.

As soon as the health insurance kicks in, quit. Then, go about your life. Sign up for Cobra to continue your coverage with fertility benefits once that paperwork comes in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:43 pm

Go sign up to work at Amazon as a delivery driver. Go through the HR process. Get the best health insurance that has fertility benefits. Go work 1 or 2 days until the insurance kicks in. I think my friend made like 12 deliveries.

As soon as the health insurance kicks in, quit. Then, go about your life. Sign up for Cobra to continue your coverage with fertility benefits once that paperwork comes in.
Do you know if the coverage is for a specific number of ivf cycles or dollar cap?

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Leaving aside the obvious issues with this, isn’t COBRA coverage much more expensive? You have access to the same benefits, but you have to pay a lot more for them.

jsnow212

Bronze

Post by jsnow212 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:50 am

nixy wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:04 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Leaving aside the obvious issues with this, isn’t COBRA coverage much more expensive? You have access to the same benefits, but you have to pay a lot more for them.
For normal health coverage, COBRA is insanely expensive versus potential benefit. But, COBRA monthly payments are nowhere near the cost of IVF out of pocket.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”