2022 Pre-OCI Megathread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
hannahs3

New

Re: 2022 Pre-OCI Megathread

Post by hannahs3 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:24 am

Questions like what you did before law school, why law school, practice area interests, why this firm. I was so surprised very few of my screeners asked why this firm and I had answers prepared.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:44 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:31 pm
Junior associate getting roped into doing some screeners. Don't want to make a new thread, sorry if off topic.

Any associates+ have advice? And students what are things you hate when ppl do so I can avoid?
Try to ask me questions for more than five minutes. When the interview turns into me (the applicant) asking questions after five minutes, I feel like I didn't get a chance to convey my personality and experience to you.
This is an area you can improve in. Look inward, not outward. You can frame questions in a certain way to highlight your personality & experience. For example, if you were a paralegal at a mid-sized firm prior to law school, "As a paralegal at Y firm, I did ABC work for S practice group. I particularly enjoyed G assignments and look forward to building on that experience as an associate by ... Could you tell me how I can get that type of work and mentorship through the firm's [free-market/central/hybrid] work assignment system?"

I have a 100% interview to offer conversion rate with a significant sample size. Interviews do not come down to luck - it's all on you to convert.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:32 pm

hannahs3 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:24 am
Questions like what you did before law school, why law school, practice area interests, why this firm. I was so surprised very few of my screeners asked why this firm and I had answers prepared.
I'm not planning on asking why this firm bc I hated having to answer it as an applicant and I honestly think the firms are all more similar than different. If you do happen to have an answer prepared, find a way to shoehorn it in. Frame it as a question "my impression of the firm is that xyz, which I really like because abc, has that been your experience" or something.

FWIW practice area interest is on my feedback form so I will be asking that. We need that info for our hiring needs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:22 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:11 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Junior associate getting roped into doing some screeners. Don't want to make a new thread, sorry if off topic.

Any associates+ have advice? And students what are things you hate when ppl do so I can avoid?
Try to ask me questions for more than five minutes. When the interview turns into me (the applicant) asking questions after five minutes, I feel like I didn't get a chance to convey my personality and experience to you.
OK what should I ask?

Also I will definitely not be reading any resumes in advance because I will only get them 20 minutes before I have to do 10 screeners back to back. Just thought I'd share that so you guys know that we're not lazy, it's just how it works. Act like we haven't read any of the material.
I really like questions that have nothing to do with law school. Something I’m the most proud of, favorite movie and why, how would my best friend describe me. It feels more natural.

I think the best law school related question I’ve gotten so far has been — biggest misconception I had about law school and why. It forces you to think also sparked a great conversation. I don’t mind favorite class, but I think it’s over done.

Personally I HATE “So, tell me about yourself.”
Biggest misconception or maybe "what surprised you the most" is a good question, pretty flexible answer. Thanks, I'll use that.

You may hate it but “tell me about yourself” is the classic opener for you to sell yourself. You need to have a 90 sec pitch, and if you don't it's a sing that you weren't prepared. Can try to frame it softer like "what brought you to law school" but ultimately it's the same prompt. Give me a basic overview of why you have the skills I need.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:27 pm

Word of advice: your resume should not look like a wall of text. I promise you half that stuff can be trimmed back. I can tell when you messed with the kerning; it doesn't make it easy to read.

And use bullet points. Please, for the love of mike, use bullet points. Is your career services telling you not to? Because if so they are wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:27 pm
Word of advice: your resume should not look like a wall of text. I promise you half that stuff can be trimmed back. I can tell when you messed with the kerning; it doesn't make it easy to read.

And use bullet points. Please, for the love of mike, use bullet points. Is your career services telling you not to? Because if so they are wrong.
Career services definitely is anti bullet points at my school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:42 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:27 pm

Career services definitely is anti bullet points at my school.
NYU? Someone needs to talk sense into them. Makes it unreadable. I'm not gonna fault a kid for following the template but I will boost the ones who had the sense to ignore it.

bigglassbulb

New

Post by bigglassbulb » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:03 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is an area you can improve in. Look inward, not outward. You can frame questions in a certain way to highlight your personality & experience. For example, if you were a paralegal at a mid-sized firm prior to law school, "As a paralegal at Y firm, I did ABC work for S practice group. I particularly enjoyed G assignments and look forward to building on that experience as an associate by ... Could you tell me how I can get that type of work and mentorship through the firm's [free-market/central/hybrid] work assignment system?"

I have a 100% interview to offer conversion rate with a significant sample size. Interviews do not come down to luck - it's all on you to convert.
^^^^lmaooo good advice but bro u nut all over urself with that last part haha

hannahs3

New

Post by hannahs3 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:31 am

Anyone have insight on screener to callback time in Boston? Any firm through OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:39 pm

Has anyone gotten offer from Milbank NY based on this week's CBs?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:15 pm

Anyone who had callback this week/last week heard from STB NY? Wondering their turnaround time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:46 pm

Anyone having CB with STB DC this week has heard back from them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:24 pm

Went through a CB earlier today (smaller market I'd like to wind up in eventually) and sent thank you notes right after. But, the more I think about it, the more I just want to accept an offer I currently hold at a V10 because I'd likely regret not going for it, even if the plan is someday to wind up in the other firm's market.

Is it ok to send a follow-up and withdraw from consideration shortly after sending thank you notes? Or should I wait a day.

Career office wants me to pull out immediately and send an update to the people I interviewed with, but idk if that's correct.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:25 pm

hannahs3 wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:31 am
Anyone have insight on screener to callback time in Boston? Any firm through OCI.
I received a cb in boston 4 hours after one of my screeners. So basically, it can be now or it can be next week and it's firm dependent and need dependent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:03 pm

deleted
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tathagata

New

Post by tathagata » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:02 pm

Anyone know the typical timeline between getting a pre-OCI offer via phone and getting the actual email with the offer? NY BL, just got the calls from two of my interviewers a few days ago. But I want to ask about the timeline for responding and can't until there's someone to actually contact.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:15 pm

tathagata wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:02 pm
Anyone know the typical timeline between getting a pre-OCI offer via phone and getting the actual email with the offer? NY BL, just got the calls from two of my interviewers a few days ago. But I want to ask about the timeline for responding and can't until there's someone to actually contact.
I usually received it the next business day or two. After a day, you’re more than good to reach out and ask.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:59 pm

how long are cravath callbacks?

tathagata

New

Post by tathagata » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:15 pm
tathagata wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:02 pm
I usually received it the next business day or two. After a day, you’re more than good to reach out and ask.
Would you reach out to the recruiting contact?

Sadiemurray97

New

Post by Sadiemurray97 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:28 pm
Anyone had movement in Chicago?
T50 (The firms don't recruit at my law school--applied through either MCGC interview program or by directly sending app)

Chicago

Baker Mckenzie-- Screener --> rejection= 1 week

McGuireWoods--Screener--> Callback=3 hours; Callback --> Offer= 9 days

Skadden--Screener--> Callback=6 days; Callback on 7/29

Kirkland--Screener--> Callback=2 days; Callback on 7/28

Greenberg Traurig--Screener-->Callback=1 day; Callback on 7/27

Jones Day--Screener-->Callback=5 hours; Callback on 8/3

Ropes & Gray--Screener on 7/20-haven't heard from them

Willkie Farr--Screener-->Callback=3 days; Callback on 8/4

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:58 pm

Any idea about the official acceptance confirmation letter timeline after the recruiting team replied to the acceptance email? Is it gonna be a physical letter or just another email? Or should we wait till Oct/Nov, when the normal OCI process is over?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

diet_coke_head_

New

Post by diet_coke_head_ » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:13 pm

Recruiting contact, yes! (I got a BL NY offer, partner phone calls, asked abt when to expect official offer and they said idk ask recruiting haha. I got the email from hiring partners same day, but recruiting contact would’ve been my next move!)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:46 am

how long are cravath callbacks? what's the structure?

tathagata

New

Post by tathagata » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:17 am

diet_coke_head_ wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:13 pm
Recruiting contact, yes! (I got a BL NY offer, partner phone calls, asked abt when to expect official offer and they said idk ask recruiting haha. I got the email from hiring partners same day, but recruiting contact would’ve been my next move!)
Awesome, thanks. If I don't get an email by Monday afternoon (two business days after getting the calls) then I'll send an email.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:46 am
how long are cravath callbacks? what's the structure?
Did you get a CB from pre-OCI? Cravath has a page on their website where they talk about CB structure iirc. You basically meet with people all day, talking with a single person until the conversation fizzles out or the recruiter in charge of you that day decides you should move on. Then, you go to another person. On and on until lunch, then you come back and keep doing it. In the past, you haven't been told who you'll be speaking with.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”