2022 Summer Associate Thread (direct all your SA Qs here) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2022 Summer Associate Thread (direct all your SA Qs here)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2022 5:37 pm

I'm a SA and I know I'm going to have an annoying number of questions throughout the summer. Creating this thread to minimize the number of additional SA related threads that would surely otherwise pop up.

Anonymous User

Re: 2022 Summer Associate Thread (direct all your SA Qs here)

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2022 7:00 pm

how much time on an average 9-5 day would you say SAs spend actually in their offices working? I'll be at a V10 in Chicago if that makes a diff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 22, 2022 8:04 pm

My V10 Chicago point of contact said to aim for 15–25 billable hours per week.

strawberrieee

Bronze

Post by strawberrieee » Sun May 22, 2022 10:13 pm

None really cares how many billable hours SAs bill. At my firm most will be written off anyway. Just take enough assignments that you think you can do well enough to impress people (always add a lot of buffer hours to your estimate as assignments likely will take longer than you expect), do well on those and spend the rest of time to have fun/get to know people.

woopig2017

New

Post by woopig2017 » Sun May 22, 2022 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 7:00 pm
how much time on an average 9-5 day would you say SAs spend actually in their offices working? I'll be at a V10 in Chicago if that makes a diff.
2-3 on average. Basically nobody cares how much you bill as long as you are enthusiastic and show up to events. And if you are at a firm where people actually do care, I would have second thoughts about working there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 12:13 am

I'm a junior (also in Chi but in a v50 satellite) and honestly have no idea what we're supposed to assign you. We did get a specific pro bono email which would help if I did pro bono.

Mostly we're just expected to take you out to lunch and dinner and generally be nice to you. Remember, we're recruiting you. I certainly don't expect you to do much substantial work and I will not be judging your work product.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 12:33 am

why do summer associates need phones? or better question, why do firms give them to summer associates? are we going to be expected to be responsive to emails when we're not in the office? :shock:

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Mon May 23, 2022 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 12:33 am
why do summer associates need phones? or better question, why do firms give them to summer associates? are we going to be expected to be responsive to emails when we're not in the office? :shock:
Same as the reason you get paid over 200k for not doing anything — it’s become a market standard

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 2:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wouldn't expect you to be responsive but you will be assigned an email and the firm likely has security protocols that require certain apps and stuff. So they give you a phone.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 7:35 am

Can I wear dark jeans to the office instead of slacks? Not a big fan of dress pants. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 7:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:27 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Wouldn't expect you to be responsive but you will be assigned an email and the firm likely has security protocols that require certain apps and stuff. So they give you a phone.
Right. Easier just to give the summers phones that the firm can take back at the end of the summer rather than try to set up email on 100 phones on short notice and then ensure that software gets removed at the end of the summer.

By in large you're not expected to be responsive, but some assignments are time sensitive (e.g., we need a summer to research X ASAP to include in a brief today). If you turn that assignment in before heading off to a 2-hour summer lunch, you may be expected to respond to an email or two about your work. I would never extend that expectation to nights and weekends, though. You also might want to keep your phone on you to look out for opportunities (e.g., "the first five summers to respond get to go to court later this afternoon").

In the end of the day, though, you get a phone for the same reason you get fake assignments: to make you look and feel the part without actually giving you any responsibility.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 8:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:35 am
Can I wear dark jeans to the office instead of slacks? Not a big fan of dress pants. Thanks!
Depends on office/firm/vibe in post-pandemic world. Generally, the answer for a Summer is no.

Treat it as you're still interviewing even though you have the job. You don't have to wear a suit daily (unless it's Cravath), but don't act like you're an associate already. I don't think even the junior associates are wearing jeans in our office even though the midlevels are (they absolutely could, but they just don't yet).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 9:36 am

Is it normal for SAs to get health insurance/401k/HSA etc? And is it a bad look to request PTO at any point during the summer?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jsnow212

Bronze

Post by jsnow212 » Mon May 23, 2022 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:36 am
Is it normal for SAs to get health insurance/401k/HSA etc? And is it a bad look to request PTO at any point during the summer?
Your law school's insurance usually carries through summer. Firms will not offer any benefits like these to summers.

PTO for certain things which you know well ahead of time (like a wedding) or clear emergencies (like a funeral) are fine. PTO for a vacation during your internship is not a good look.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 9:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Depends on the firm and the market. Wear slacks at first, and if majority of attorneys are wearing jeans or other pants, no problem switching.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon May 23, 2022 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Serious question, have you looked into better-fitting pants? Four-pocket slacks have become extremely comfortable over the past decade thanks to synthetic materials. From a "blend in and don't make waves during a SA" perspective, I'd wear even Lululemon slacks over jeans, ten times out of ten.

edit: and if you must wear jeans, I'd buy new "office jeans" in a more conservative cut and without the wear patterns your regular clothes probably have by now. Looking clean and inoffensive is a free lunch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 10:23 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:16 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Serious question, have you looked into better-fitting pants? Four-pocket slacks have become extremely comfortable over the past decade thanks to synthetic materials. From a "blend in and don't make waves during a SA" perspective, I'd wear even Lululemon slacks over jeans, ten times out of ten.

edit: and if you must wear jeans, I'd buy new "office jeans" in a more conservative cut and without the wear patterns your regular clothes probably have by now. Looking clean and inoffensive is a free lunch.
Just for another perspective, I think Lululemon pants look ridiculous in the workplace and would silently judge a summer for wearing them, but jeans would be 10x worse. You’re getting paid a lot of money, just wear dress pants and don’t stick out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 10:34 am

Is it weird to wear a cardigan over a tank top with dress pants?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 10:50 am

Business casual means a button down shirt and slacks. Start with that. Then dress down if you see associates and other summers. But don't start out trying to wear jeans and sweaters. For some of you this is the first professional setting of your life. Act like it.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon May 23, 2022 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:50 am
Business casual means a button down shirt and slacks. Start with that. Then dress down if you see associates and other summers. But don't start out trying to wear jeans and sweaters. For some of you this is the first professional setting of your life. Act like it.
Strongly agree, for men, but cardigans are extremely normal for women in the summer when there's a 20+ degree temperature swing between indoors and outdoors. And tanks can be quite formal so that's kind of a black box.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Mon May 23, 2022 11:43 am

Worrying too much about messing up can actually make you seem weird. Chill out a little bit. Standards in biglaw are extremely low, as demonstrated by the people here on this forum.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:23 am
Anonymous User wrote:

Just for another perspective, I think Lululemon pants look 8) ridiculous in the workplace and would silently judge a summer for wearing them, but jeans would be 10x worse. You’re getting paid a lot of money, just wear dress pants and don’t stick out.
Fine, I’ll wear slacks.

But can I rock the J Crew no socks look??? :lol: :shock:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 1:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just for another perspective, I think Lululemon pants look 8) ridiculous in the workplace and would silently judge a summer for wearing them, but jeans would be 10x worse. You’re getting paid a lot of money, just wear dress pants and don’t stick out.
Fine, I’ll wear slacks.

But can I rock the J Crew no socks look??? :lol: :shock:
Are you asking what you can get away with or what's best practices?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just for another perspective, I think Lululemon pants look ridiculous in the workplace and would silently judge a summer for wearing them, but jeans would be 10x worse. You’re getting paid a lot of money, just wear dress pants and don’t stick out.
dad jeans > distressed jeans >>>>> lulu pants > naked.

Just get some normal slacks or quality jeans.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 1:35 pm

If you're really resistant to wearing normal dress pants (and honestly, it's time to grow up and get used to the idea even if you do end up in a more casual environment) just wear dark blue Dockers. Pair it with dress shoes and a light blue shirt and you'll look fine. Not great but fine.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”