2022 Summer Associate Thread (direct all your SA Qs here) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: 2022 Summer Associate Thread (direct all your SA Qs here)

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Thu May 26, 2022 5:15 pm

Skipping alcohol at lunch is straight-up good life advice. You're not materially improving your mood by having a drink at lunch—unless you're legit alcoholic, in which case the "drink less" advice resounds even louder—and it's not like you're going to get anything nicer than house wine, generic cocktail, or a B+ beer at [generic bougie Midtown eatery].

Save the calories, save the alcohol. The deleterious effects of both are cumulative. Your liver will have plenty to do anyway as a SA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2022 6:47 pm

Not sure whether to take the outpouring advice that you can (and should) forgo a lunch beer as a good sign about lawyers or a bad one because lawyers know it's not self-evident to many of their colleagues...

Anyway, I think the OP lunch drinker can make his/her own decision. The post was presumably just looking for the contours of when it's absolutely not okay.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Thu May 26, 2022 6:52 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 5:15 pm
Skipping alcohol at lunch is straight-up good life advice. You're not materially improving your mood by having a drink at lunch—unless you're legit alcoholic, in which case the "drink less" advice resounds even louder—and it's not like you're going to get anything nicer than house wine, generic cocktail, or a B+ beer at [generic bougie Midtown eatery].

Save the calories, save the alcohol. The deleterious effects of both are cumulative. Your liver will have plenty to do anyway as a SA.
Great point. You’d just be getting fat, with likely no buzz, and any work later in the day is even more painful than it would have been. Drinks at a work lunch are a bad move, even when when free and green lighted by seniors.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2022 9:32 pm

This doesn't have to be an alcohol devoted thread, but while we're on the subject, imo a beer with lunch is perfectly fine. We're adults. Multiple drinks with lunch (or even dinner) is borderline. Was at an event where multiple summers looked visibly intoxicated, not enough to cause any problems but I'll just say that it's not something I'd recommend.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu May 26, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BrowsingTLS

Bronze

Post by BrowsingTLS » Thu May 26, 2022 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:32 pm
imo a beer with munch is perfectly fine. We're adults.
Summers, take heed. The above is the absolutely worse advice ITT.

As sexy as that adult activity sounds, you'll probably lose your offer if you get caught.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri May 27, 2022 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
This doesn't have to be an alcohol devoted thread, but while we're on the subject, imo a beer with lunch is perfectly fine. We're adults. Multiple drinks with lunch (or even dinner) is borderline. Was at an event where multiple summers looked visibly intoxicated, not enough to cause any problems but I'll just say that it's not something I'd recommend.
A beer with a lunch is fine, in a vacuum. But we're talking about summer associates, who are already consuming a substantial amount of alcohol at firm events/dinners and in their personal social lives. When you're already in the red zone for unhealthy drinking, having that drink at lunch really is bad for you.
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:47 pm
Not sure whether to take the outpouring advice that you can (and should) forgo a lunch beer as a good sign about lawyers or a bad one because lawyers know it's not self-evident to many of their colleagues...

Anyway, I think the OP lunch drinker can make his/her own decision. The post was presumably just looking for the contours of when it's absolutely not okay.
It's a problem all over modern society, not just lawyers. Medical science has finally started to get a handle on how deleterious moderate-but-frequent drinking can be.

Agree that anon should feel free to make their own lifestyle choices. Just wanted to point out there's already a pretty high baseline for alcohol consumption during a SA, and I'd start with a strong presumption of not drinking absent a particular reason to do it. Washing down a $25 burger is a mediocre reason IMO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2022 12:17 am

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:09 am
Anonymous User wrote:
A beer with a lunch is fine, in a vacuum. But we're talking about summer associates, who are already consuming a substantial amount of alcohol at firm events/dinners and in their personal social lives. When you're already in the red zone for unhealthy drinking, having that drink at lunch really is bad for you.
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:47 pm

It's a problem all over modern society, not just lawyers. Medical science has finally started to get a handle on how deleterious moderate-but-frequent drinking can be.

Agree that anon should feel free to make their own lifestyle choices. Just wanted to point out there's already a pretty high baseline for alcohol consumption during a SA, and I'd start with a strong presumption of not drinking absent a particular reason to do it. Washing down a $25 burger is a mediocre reason IMO.
Good for you, I hope you feel sufficiently smug. This isn't a health column, it's a thread for summers. So to repeat my advice, drinking is fine; intoxication is not.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Fri May 27, 2022 12:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:17 am
Good for you, I hope you feel sufficiently smug. This isn't a health column, it's a thread for summers. So to repeat my advice, drinking is fine; intoxication is not.
Alcohol at lunch is hardly "fine" in the scenarios discussed on the previous page (e.g., you're the only person drinking besides that one associate whom everyone knows is a lush). I'm one of the several people in the "just don't do it, not worth it" camp. Really don't see the upside here; it's not like drinking at a practice-group mixer where there are colorable social benefits.

Separately, mental health is perfectly germane. I wish associates had told me to drink less (and sleep more, etc.) while I was a summer. This stuff has a material impact on one's career in the short, medium and long run.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2022 9:04 am

BrowsingTLS wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

As sexy as that adult activity sounds, you'll probably lose your offer if you get caught.
LOL wtf even is this? Projection much?

Of course it's a bad idea to be that summer who is always drinking without taking ques from others. Nobody is saying go have drinks at all your lunches. That's not controversial. All we're saying is that if a partner and/or some senior associates grab a beer with their lunch burger, you're not going to lose an offer because you join them. You can't possibly think that's controversial, can you?

FWIW I had maybe 1 or 2 lunch beers over my entire 2L summer and got an offer, no problem. That's probably reflective of the number of opportunities where it would be "appropriate" to have a lunch beer, if you're so inclined. If you want to avoid any risk, then just don't do it. The sky is not falling people.

This thread reminds me a lot of the RTO topic, where a few people keep on trying to prove way too much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2022 9:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:04 am
BrowsingTLS wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:52 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

LOL wtf even is this? Projection much?

Of course it's a bad idea to be that summer who is always drinking without taking ques from others. Nobody is saying go have drinks at all your lunches. That's not controversial. All we're saying is that if a partner and/or some senior associates grab a beer with their lunch burger, you're not going to lose an offer because you join them. You can't possibly think that's controversial, can you?

FWIW I had maybe 1 or 2 lunch beers over my entire 2L summer and got an offer, no problem. That's probably reflective of the number of opportunities where it would be "appropriate" to have a lunch beer, if you're so inclined. If you want to avoid any risk, then just don't do it. The sky is not falling people.

This thread reminds me a lot of the RTO topic, where a few people keep on trying to prove way too much.
You just ranted at a guy who was making a joke at the typo MUNCH.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2022 12:31 pm

Just finished my second week at a V15 in NYC. Any advice for what to do in lull periods—when you're just waiting for feedback on your work product or for a new assignment to pick up pace? I've been communicative with my teams/other associates I've met/the recruiting team about having availability and have asked for new assignments too, but they've told me sometimes there really isn't work for a summer to do immediately. I've asked for practice group resources and have started reading guides (such as internal firm resources to learn about various topics) etc. but it feels awkward to just bill lunches/dinners with fellow summers and associates on some days. I also know I've only been here for two weeks and maybe I'm getting wayyyy ahead of myself, but was wondering if others are or were in the same boat.

otisreadingcomp

New

Post by otisreadingcomp » Fri May 27, 2022 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:31 pm
Just finished my second week at a V15 in NYC. Any advice for what to do in lull periods—when you're just waiting for feedback on your work product or for a new assignment to pick up pace? I've been communicative with my teams/other associates I've met/the recruiting team about having availability and have asked for new assignments too, but they've told me sometimes there really isn't work for a summer to do immediately. I've asked for practice group resources and have started reading guides (such as internal firm resources to learn about various topics) etc. but it feels awkward to just bill lunches/dinners with fellow summers and associates on some days. I also know I've only been here for two weeks and maybe I'm getting wayyyy ahead of myself, but was wondering if others are or were in the same boat.
You literally just started, so don't worry about it. Just bill to the nonbillable charge and call it "professional reading."

Also, you're unlikely to get a ton of work this summer since (1) it takes time to ramp up and (2) they really don't trust summers with a lot. Just enjoy your summer and do what you do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2022 12:50 pm

otisreadingcomp wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:41 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
You literally just started, so don't worry about it. Just bill to the nonbillable charge and call it "professional reading."

Also, you're unlikely to get a ton of work this summer since (1) it takes time to ramp up and (2) they really don't trust summers with a lot. Just enjoy your summer and do what you do.
+1. If find the free time truly unbearable, just go grab coffee with a different associate every morning/afternoon. That might lead to something interesting (at most firms, you can request a particular summer).

jotarokujo

Bronze

Post by jotarokujo » Fri May 27, 2022 12:58 pm

might be in the minority but i think these summer programs and biglaw as a whole has swung too far into the direction of being tame. obviously drug abuse is still very common and awful, but i find that nonabusers are almost afraid to get even a little festive

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Fri May 27, 2022 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
If you tried to get assignments and couldn’t get any/enough, then it’s okay to just read things at your computer or even play on your phone. I’d try to be at your desk, though, so people know where to find you. Personally I have been trying to come up with summer assignments, but assigning + explaining + fixing been taking me more time than doing it myself would have taken. So There may not always be work for summers, but they’re all gonna get offers and it doesn’t matter.

tlsguy2020

New

Post by tlsguy2020 » Fri May 27, 2022 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Honestly, download tiktok? Or just wander the halls and shoot the shit with other summers. Totally normal to have nothing to do for some periods, that's part of the fun of being an SA. Fwiw, I think the firm gives no fucks if you're even putting anything into the time management system.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 27, 2022 4:31 pm

You can also just find associates to chat with -- we're happy to just talk and answer any questions (not that you need to be prepared with questions). But don't be insulted if we can't chat for too long, we still have billable work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 28, 2022 5:10 pm

Is there like typically breakfast stuff to buy/offered for free at law firms as a summer associate. Debating if I should meal prep a week of breakfast meals for my SA which starts on Tuesday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2022 2:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:10 pm
Is there like typically breakfast stuff to buy/offered for free at law firms as a summer associate. Debating if I should meal prep a week of breakfast meals for my SA which starts on Tuesday.
Pastries on the first day at my V10, nothing afterwards.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2022 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 5:10 pm
At Kirkland NY theres free breakfast (eggs, bacon, avocado, lox, yogurt etc) and a different lunch everyday.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2022 8:12 pm

Deleted - wrong thread

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 29, 2022 9:12 pm

If you get an offer at the end of a 1L SA, can you do a 2L SA at the same firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 30, 2022 1:29 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon May 30, 2022 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 30, 2022 5:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 1:29 am
Female SA at a v100 in Florida. We have an event coming up at a senior associate’s house. The invitation specified that it’s not a firm-sponsored event, but the invitation went to everyone’s work email (and everyone in the office was invited). Partners will be there. The invitation also said to arrange an Uber home so that you can return safely (there will be alcohol).

There’s a dress code, but it’s more of a niche theme than something finite like “business casual.” I found something that fits the niche theme—which wasn’t easy—but it’s a short-sleeve romper that hits around mid-thigh and is not form-fitting. It’s shorter than I’d wear to work, though.

Does the length of this sound okay, considering the circumstances?
It would be helpful to know what this niche theme is. Mid-thigh seems inappropriate and isn't a risk I'd likely take. The rules in Florida might be different though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”