2022 Summer Associate Thread (direct all your SA Qs here) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 2022 Summer Associate Thread (direct all your SA Qs here)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 1:35 pm
If you're really resistant to wearing normal dress pants (and honestly, it's time to grow up and get used to the idea even if you do end up in a more casual environment) just wear dark blue Dockers. Pair it with dress shoes and a light blue shirt and you'll look fine. Not great but fine.
Yeah, and this pants debate has been covered ad nauseum here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=312082

TL;DR: wool was the original tech fabric. Pick up 2-3 pairs in navy/charcoal/gray for ~$100 each with stretch if you must and you can't go wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 2:31 pm

The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:25 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:50 am
Business casual means a button down shirt and slacks. Start with that. Then dress down if you see associates and other summers. But don't start out trying to wear jeans and sweaters. For some of you this is the first professional setting of your life. Act like it.
Strongly agree, for men, but cardigans are extremely normal for women in the summer when there's a 20+ degree temperature swing between indoors and outdoors. And tanks can be quite formal so that's kind of a black box.
Yeah, a cardigan + tank + dress pants is completely fine for women. Admittedly the tank shouldn’t be a gym tank and I, personally, would go try to stick with a slightly more formal fabric than basic cotton knit for a tank, but it really depends on cut and overall presentation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:31 pm
The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:25 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:50 am
Business casual means a button down shirt and slacks. Start with that. Then dress down if you see associates and other summers. But don't start out trying to wear jeans and sweaters. For some of you this is the first professional setting of your life. Act like it.
Strongly agree, for men, but cardigans are extremely normal for women in the summer when there's a 20+ degree temperature swing between indoors and outdoors. And tanks can be quite formal so that's kind of a black box.
Yeah, a cardigan + tank + dress pants is completely fine for women. Admittedly the tank shouldn’t be a gym tank and I, personally, would go try to stick with a slightly more formal fabric than basic cotton knit for a tank, but it really depends on cut and overall presentation.
For women, bodysuits that tuck into dress pants and have seamless collars/necks are a good option under cardigans and blazers.

woopig2017

New

Post by woopig2017 » Mon May 23, 2022 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:36 am
Is it normal for SAs to get health insurance/401k/HSA etc? And is it a bad look to request PTO at any point during the summer?
I would avoid taking vacation during the summer, unless it's a commitment like a wedding. You want to try to be there as much as you can - the summer is your opportunity to get to know everyone at the firm better, which you can't do if you aren't participating.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 6:57 pm

How do you deal with showing up later than everyone else? I'm at a quarter system school and the only one starting late in my SA class. 1L, so don't have prior experience with this. Just roll up my sleeves and jump in?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:57 pm
How do you deal with showing up later than everyone else? I'm at a quarter system school and the only one starting late in my SA class. 1L, so don't have prior experience with this. Just roll up my sleeves and jump in?
What's there to deal with? You'll miss some event, get introduced to people when you start, overlap with them, and then have a cool couple of week together with your fellow Chi kids alone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
What's there to deal with? You'll miss some event, get introduced to people when you start, overlap with them, and then have a cool couple of week together with your fellow Chi kids alone.
Lol not at Chi. Only person on the quarter system in my class and OCI is early this year so I don't even get the full 10 weeks. But good to know there's nothing to worry about!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:22 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:12 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Lol not at Chi. Only person on the quarter system in my class and OCI is early this year so I don't even get the full 10 weeks. But good to know there's nothing to worry about!
Oh well seemed like a good guess. But its common. Also there's sometimes kids splitting summers between offices, or doing 2 week touchbacks. It's fine, don't worry about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 9:15 pm

woopig2017 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:55 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:36 am
Is it normal for SAs to get health insurance/401k/HSA etc? And is it a bad look to request PTO at any point during the summer?
I would avoid taking vacation during the summer, unless it's a commitment like a wedding. You want to try to be there as much as you can - the summer is your opportunity to get to know everyone at the firm better, which you can't do if you aren't participating.
Be reasonable… just make sure it’s like one or two days (long weekend)….

Don’t ask whether you get PTO when you’re an SA either

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 23, 2022 10:27 pm

Anybody run into some true weirdos in your SA cohort? There are some people in my SA cohort who can't hold a conversation or will only hold a conversation with current associates/partners.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2022 3:11 am

Obviously wouldn’t order a drink if the associates don’t and obviously wouldn’t get drunk. But are there additional rules when it comes to ordering during lunch vs. dinner?

Is an associate ordering a drink during lunch always license for a SA to do the same?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2022 4:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:11 am
Obviously wouldn’t order a drink if the associates don’t and obviously wouldn’t get drunk. But are there additional rules when it comes to ordering during lunch vs. dinner?

Is an associate ordering a drink during lunch always license for a SA to do the same?
No. I'd say the only hard and fast rule to when it's appropriate to order a lunch drink is when the most senior person at the table orders one. If you're out with a partner and a junior and you follow the juniors lead to order a drink, the partner may disapprove of both of you. But if the most important person at the table orders a drink you can obviously hide behind their clout.

Don't try to split hairs with this rule. It's always best to read the room. If there's one drunk old partner that always drinks, you might not want to always follow their lead.

Res Ipsa Loquitter

Bronze

Post by Res Ipsa Loquitter » Tue May 24, 2022 9:35 am

Better rule is: don’t drink until you believe you’re done working for the day. Perhaps you could have one drink at lunch if everyone else is doing it, but I’d stop there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2022 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:58 am
Anonymous User wrote:

No. I'd say the only hard and fast rule to when it's appropriate to order a lunch drink is when the most senior person at the table orders one. If you're out with a partner and a junior and you follow the juniors lead to order a drink, the partner may disapprove of both of you. But if the most important person at the table orders a drink you can obviously hide behind their clout.

Don't try to split hairs with this rule. It's always best to read the room. If there's one drunk old partner that always drinks, you might not want to always follow their lead.
I personally wouldn't order a lunch drink because some people will think it is weird if you do and no one will notice if you don't. It just doesn't seem like it's worth it when you don't know anyone well enough to know into which camp they would fall. You will get plenty of free booze in the evenings - just save it for then.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 24, 2022 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm an equity partner at an AmLaw 5 firm and this is mostly the right answer.

If you're with a bunch of associates I wouldn't parse between the 3rd and 4th year distinction or something like that. But if you're at a lunch and there are some fairly senior associates and/or partners at the lunch, I would take the queue from them. But on the other hand, don't feel pressured to order a drink at lunch. No one will care if you don't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2022 6:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:14 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm an equity partner at an AmLaw 5 firm and this is mostly the right answer.

If you're with a bunch of associates I wouldn't parse between the 3rd and 4th year distinction or something like that. But if you're at a lunch and there are some fairly senior associates and/or partners at the lunch, I would take the queue from them. But on the other hand, don't feel pressured to order a drink at lunch. No one will care if you don't.
Would add to equity partner’s suggestion to always remember that if you *do* drink, be careful to not say something politically incorrect or controversial. Alcohol can do that sometimes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 25, 2022 8:02 pm

SA ladies of Chicago K&E. When are we going to actually start dressing business casual casual? Day 3 of orientation/activities just came to an end and almost all of the 40+ women are still wearing suits/blazers. I just want to wear a nice top and be comfortable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2022 9:02 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu May 26, 2022 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2022 9:03 am

More of a comment than a question (lol sorry) but so many of my fellow summers in NYC have Covid right now :cry:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2022 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:03 am
More of a comment than a question (lol sorry) but so many of my fellow summers in NYC have Covid right now :cry:
Yeah, I'm at KE Chi, we have more than 70 SAs here. The last three days we've all spent multiple hours crammed in a room. Only one person in a mask. Can't imagine there won't be an outbreak.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2022 9:49 am

What time does the paycheck hit? If we get paid on the 31st, will that be at midnight on the 31st?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2022 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:49 am
What time does the paycheck hit? If we get paid on the 31st, will that be at midnight on the 31st?
Should be early morning on the 31st, usually before business hours start.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2022 9:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
That's going to depend on your bank.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 26, 2022 9:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:54 am
Anonymous User wrote:
That's going to depend on your bank.
Thanks. BoA.

BigLawPartner

New

Post by BigLawPartner » Thu May 26, 2022 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Safest course is just not to drink alcohol at lunch. On the off chance there is some weekend event, or a weekday event like a baseball game or something, that advice wouldn't apply. But for the run of the mill weekday lunch, I would just skip the alcohol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”